Valkyrie Elysium | [PS4 / PS5 / Steam] | Coming September 29th For Playstation / November 11, 2022 For Steam

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I like Valkyrie Chronicles, and its been a very long time, so I hope it turns out well.

You mean Valkyrie Profile, Valkyria Chronicles is Sega’s strategy RPG series. I really liked Valkyrie Profile 2, and this Valkyrie Elysium game looks kick-ass.

• True 1

• 3 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Valkyrie Elysium | [PS4 / PS5 / Steam] | Coming November 11, 2022

They should throw in the PS2 game Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria and the DS game Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume and make it a real deluxe edition if they're gonna include the PSP remaster of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth in there (which is the better version over the PS1 version of the game thankfully). Also curious if we'll be able to buy Lenneth separately as well.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

They should throw in the PS2 game Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria and the DS game Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume and make it a real deluxe edition if they're gonna include the PSP remaster of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth in there (which is the better version over the PS1 version of the game thankfully). Also curious if we'll be able to buy Lenneth separately as well.

I think they are putting some of them on ps+

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yes they mentioned it would be available seperately. Shame it's not getting a PC release.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

PS Store says this comes out 9/29?

That’s its release date, I don’t know why the thread title says November 11th.

16 minutes ago, jaethos said:

I am very much in favor of the demo transferable to the full game thing that SquareEnix has started doing.

Me too, and apparently the demo is around three hours long. That will be plenty enough time with the game for me to decide if it’s something that I will want to buy on day one for full price, or wait and get when it’s cheaper.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Valkyrie Elysium | [PS4 / PS5 / Steam] | Coming September 29th For Playstation / November 11, 2022 For Steam

I played and finished the demo of this today, and including the tutorial, first chapter and two sub quests on offer it was about three hours long.

I really enjoyed it, but it’s less of an RPG and more of an action hack ‘n slash game than I was expecting. It almost completely consists of making your way through linear levels fighting enemies with a little platforming here and there. There are some branching paths that lead to loot, but it’s pretty much going from point A to point B with little to no exploration.

The story is a bit thin, and there’s not much character interaction. The combat is definitely the star of the show with a lot of different weapon attacks, magic attacks, a soul chain grapple, a block, parry, dodge dash and spirit summons. It has a pretty good skill tree, too.

The game itself is somewhat low budget AA mid-tier, and shouldn’t be selling for $60 IMO. It should be $40, and if it was then I would buy it on day one. It essentially looks, feels and plays like a PS3/Xbox 360 generation game, and is kind of repetitive. The combat is a lot of fun, but it’s almost all that you do.

I hope that the first chapter isn’t representative of the entire game, because if it is then it’s basically just a linear action hack ‘n slash game and I was hoping for something more than that.

• Halal 1

On 9/16/2022 at 1:12 AM, Phaseknox said:

I played and finished the demo of this today, and including the tutorial, first chapter and two sub quests on offer it was about three hours long.

I really enjoyed it, but it’s less of an RPG and more of an action hack ‘n slash game than I was expecting. It almost completely consists of making your way through linear levels fighting enemies with a little platforming here and there. There are some branching paths that lead to loot, but it’s pretty much going from point A to point B with little to no exploration.

The story is a bit thin, and there’s not much character interaction. The combat is definitely the star of the show with a lot of different weapon attacks, magic attacks, a soul chain grapple, a block, parry, dodge dash and spirit summons. It has a pretty good skill tree, too.

The game itself is somewhat low budget AA mid-tier, and shouldn’t be selling for $60 IMO. It should be $40, and if it was then I would buy it on day one. It essentially looks, feels and plays like a PS3/Xbox 360 generation game, and is kind of repetitive. The combat is a lot of fun, but it’s almost all that you do.

I hope that the first chapter isn’t representative of the entire game, because if it is then it’s basically just a linear action hack ‘n slash game and I was hoping for something more than that.

Agreed. I had fun, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone end up playing the full retail release (PS5/PS4 version released on September 29)? Game looks like it got blasted by critics and audiences alike, the PS5 version on Metacritic sits at 67/100 after 41 critic reviews and at 5.7/10 after 98 audience votes. That's really bad, but curious to hear thoughts from people here if there are any. 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:44 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Anyone end up playing the full retail release (PS5/PS4 version released on September 29)?

I liked the demo enough to want to buy the full game on day one for $40, but not for $60 so I passed. It’s a linear and short AA action hack ‘n slash game, so they shouldn’t be charging $60 for it. I’ll buy it when I can get it for $40, or less.

• Thanks 1

Was not a fan of the demo on PS5. Looked and ran like a 360 game. First boss had an attack that would annihilate the frame rate. Characters and acting were middling at best, story was meh.

It didn't seem horrible but it also didn't seem like a new game. It felt like an action version of DioField Chronicle; aimless wandering in terms of development priority and goals. Getting a little deja vu typing this up. 

I was much more pleasantly surprised and impressed by Star Ocean, which had a lot of design choices based on the demo that seemed much better thought out. The little gadget you get to fly around is smartly used to expand both combat and exploration, and while the acting and character interactions are a bit weird they at least have some life and pep to it. I just hope we get multiple planets (or at least word existential shit) again. It's Star Ocean not medieval ocean!

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

30 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I was much more pleasantly surprised and impressed by Star Ocean, which had a lot of design choices based on the demo that seemed much better thought out. The little gadget you get to fly around is smartly used to expand both combat and exploration, and while the acting and character interactions are a bit weird they at least have some life and pep to it.

I agree, I enjoyed the demo quite a bit as well and I can tell that it’s going to be a lengthy JRPG. Unfortunately it’s a game that I’m going to wait to get when I get a PS5, because the PS4 version looks extremely blurry and low res. This has been a problem with PS4 cross-gen games lately, so I assume that it has something to do with how games are being downscaled for PS4. But Star Ocean: The Devine Force has been the worst that I’ve seen yet which is unfortunate, because I would like to play it sooner rather than later as I don’t plan on getting a PS5 until Grand Theft Auto VI comes out.

2 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I agree, I enjoyed the demo quite a bit as well and I can tell that it’s going to be a lengthy JRPG. Unfortunately it’s a game that I’m going to wait to get when I get a PS5, because the PS4 version looks extremely blurry and low res. This has been a problem with PS4 cross-gen games lately, so I assume that it has something to do with how games are being downscaled for PS4. But Star Ocean: The Devine Force has been the worst that I’ve seen yet which is unfortunate, because I would like to play it sooner rather than later as I don’t plan on getting a PS5 until Grand Theft Auto VI comes out.

The PS5 version was a little jank as well. Campfire smoke dropped the FPS by what felt like more than half (it was probably just half due to some double buffer vsync situation I bet, but it feels worse) which in and of itself wouldn't be a huge deal, not like there's campfires everywhere. But then you get to the second grassy area and if you raise your camera above or put it below a certain arbitrary line the FPS does the same exact thing. So weird.

Most of it ran and looked good though!

18 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The PS5 version was a little jank as well. Campfire smoke dropped the FPS by what felt like more than half (it was probably just half due to some double buffer vsync situation I bet, but it feels worse) which in and of itself wouldn't be a huge deal, not like there's campfires everywhere. But then you get to the second grassy area and if you raise your camera above or put it below a certain arbitrary line the FPS does the same exact thing. So weird.

Most of it ran and looked good though!

It’s strange because the game isn’t a graphical juggernaut by any means, so I don’t get the low res graphics and performance issues especially on PS5. Perhaps the frame drops that you experienced in the demo might not be in the final game since the demo could be from an earlier build. I personally wouldn’t mind occasional performance hiccups like that in the PS4 version if it was clean and clear looking, but it literally looks like a layer of Vaseline is smeared over my TV screen which is really distracting and off-putting while playing.

• 4 weeks later...