LG OLED 65” C8PUA - good?

Just now, nacthenud said:

Freesync doesn't allow for HDR though, does it?  I thought you needed Freesync 2 for that.  And I thought that for 4K HDR freesync 2 over 60Hz you needed HDMI 2.1.  But again, I have bad info on that.

No clue in regards to HDR.

Right, but those QLED's also don't have the telecine judder issue with BFI in 24fps content, I thought - again, I thought because of something in the hardware design.  Perhaps LG can patch in software fixes for both those shortcomings though.

But that does address the issue of freesync 2 (which the Xbox uses) over HDMI 2.0, but not necessarily with higher than 60Hz 4K HDR.  The most important benefits of freesync will be for lower frame-rate signals, though anyway, so there's still a good advantage there.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

Right, but those QLED's also don't have the telecine judder issue with BFI in 24fps content, I thought - again, I thought because of something in the hardware design.  Perhaps LG can patch in software fixes for both those shortcomings though.

But that does address the issue of freesync 2 (which the Xbox uses) over HDMI 2.0, but not necessarily with higher than 60Hz 4K HDR.  The most important benefits of freesync will be for lower frame-rate signals, though anyway, so there's still a good advantage there.

Yes, VRR truly seems to shine in situations of inconsistent fps or below 60fps, which is why I feel as though it's must-have. :sun: 

Interesting,

I'm hijacking this TV thread as I'm in the final fazes {within 8-12 months} of replacing our 65 inch Samsung living room TV with a 4k bells and whistles 75 inch. The wife was given full go ahead on new furniture and she did not disappoint as we now have 2 amazing new reclining couches and recline / rocker chair, new tables and lamps, etc. she used all of the 4k budget she was given too on just the couches,  and 2 lamps {shes definitely my girl....lol}. So I'm reading, listening, watching all the advise given good stuff. If I were to do it now I'd go with the Sony 900f {?} but it's not over yet, and it seems some amazing new tech will be standard soon, hard to jump.  VRR and HDMI 3.0 are biggies too . . .

3 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Interesting,

I'm hijacking this TV thread as I'm in the final fazes {within 8-12 months} of replacing our 65 inch Samsung living room TV with a 4k bells and whistles 75 inch. The wife was given full go ahead on new furniture and she did not disappoint as we now have 2 amazing new reclining couches and recline / rocker chair, new tables and lamps, etc. she used all of the 4k budget she was given too on just the couches,  and 2 lamps {shes definitely my girl....lol}. So I'm reading, listening, watching all the advise given good stuff. If I were to do it now I'd go with the Sony 900f {?} but it's not over yet, and it seems some amazing new tech will be standard soon, hard to jump.  VRR and HDMI 3.0 are biggies too . . .

The next HDMI standard is 2.1, not 3.0. 2019 flagship sets will most likely be HDMI 2.1, I’m almost definitely waiting at this point as we’re talking just 8-9 months. :) 

11 hours ago, HardAct said:

Interesting,

Technology tends to go in "leaps", where important features come in every so often, with the annual changes being mostly irrelevant.

IMHO, variable refresh is one of those "leaps" for a TV that will be used for gaming -- particularly for next gen gaming in '20 and beyond.

Some people replace their TVs like they do their underwear, and buy one every few years.  I tend to spend more, and live with it for 5-10 years.  If you're more like me, I wouldn't buy a TV that doesn't support VRR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

Technology tends to go in "leaps", where important features come in every so often, with the annual changes being mostly irrelevant.

IMHO, variable refresh is one of those "leaps" for a TV that will be used for gaming -- particularly for next gen gaming in '20 and beyond.

Some people replace their TVs like they do their underwear, and buy one every few years.  I tend to spend more, and live with it for 5-10 years.  If you're more like me, I wouldn't buy a TV that doesn't support VRR.

YEP!!!! People argue that you “shouldn’t chase technology”, I agree, you need to chase the “new standards” or “leaps”. Waiting a few months for something like VRR will likely allow you to hold on to your TV without feeling the “upgrade itch” for much longer than buying a current 2018 TV. :sun: 

Changing the subject slightly - what’s the best sub-$500 TV for that aforementioned secondary set? Thinking TCL or the new Toshiba FireTV - the set isn’t going to be used much, TV speakers will likely be used for a good while until I replace my current AV Receiver with an HDMI 2.1 unit :p 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Changing the subject slightly - what’s the best sub-$500 TV for that aforementioned secondary set? Thinking TCL or the new Toshiba FireTV - the set isn’t going to be used much, TV speakers will likely be used for a good while until I replace my current AV Receiver with an HDMI 2.1 unit :p 

I mention rtings more than I probably should, but yeah the TCL 55S405 is the recommended TV under $500

Not a lot of reviews on the Toshiba Fire TV from what I can find. Basic reviews from customers on Best Buy are 4-5 star, but I usually take that with a grain of salt.

I'd probably wait a little bit and see how it fairs or go mess around with one in store.

I found this article interesting yesterday titled "Will HDR kill your oled?". The tech hasnt been mainstream long enough to say anything for certain but it was interesting to think about. I guess LG claims their oled's are good for at least 100,000 hours but that was before HDR came along. Nothing in the article would sway me from buying an oled though. 

https://www.techhive.com/article/3239350/smart-tv/will-hdr-kill-your-oled-tv.amp.html

You’re all going to laugh at me... I found a 65” B7A 2017 LG OLED open box (but still sealed in factory bag, never used) for $1900, with all the gift cards I got from my Engagement Party on Sunday plus points I had on my Amazon CC it was only $1397 shipped, and I’ll get $70 back from using my Amazon CC too... SOOOOOOOOO, I’m going to use my VT50 as the aforementioned secondary TV, stick the OLED in where the VT50 currently is. Once HDMI 2.1 models come out, I’ll wait for clearance sales then give the 2017 OLED to my dad. Final price was just too good to pass up :p 

I’m so weak :cry: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, nacthenud said:

That’s hilarious. We’ve all been there. 

It happened because I kept “upgrading” that secondary set and was trying to find a X930D (Sony HDR 4k TV with 3D) used, everything was local pickup on eBay, except for open-boxed units at Frys which were $1300-1400... Then I started searching refurbished OLEDs, then I checked Amazon and found that open-box 65” B7A for the same price as the 930D after all of my gift cards abd points, and thought “screw it” :rofl: ... :cry: 

• Like 2

Just bought the C8 65 inch off ebay for $2249. Thanks spork. Says it will arrive next Thursday, hopefully I get it Monday or Tuesday because I'm not bringing my old tv with me when I move, and the cable buy is coming Monday. Don't want to be without a tv too long when I got the week off to check out glorious 4k gaming.

Hopefully it's light enough that I can set it up on a stand by myself. 

• Like 1

Just finished taking down my Plasma and setting up the B7A OLED. Firstly, holy crap, the Plasma is more than 2x heavier than this OLED. Secondly, JFC is this thing thin. Thirdly, the picture quality is absolute garbage compared to the Plasma, I’m hoping that playing with the settings will fix this, but as of right now I’m in full regret-mode. :/ 

My XboneX says that HDR and a slew of other things aren’t supported on the TV. :confused: I’m guessing I have some older HDMI cables (v1.4) connected on the XboneX and/or AVR. Good thing I thought this may happen and preemptively bought 4x new HDMI 2.0 cables :p 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Just finished taking down my Plasma and setting up the B7A OLED. Firstly, holy crap, the Plasma is more than 2x heavier than this OLED. Secondly, JFC is this thing thin. Thirdly, the picture quality is absolute garbage compared to the Plasma, I’m hoping that playing with the settings will fix this, but as of right now I’m in full regret-mode. :/ 

@nacthenud did you calibrate yours on your own or did you use settings from somewhere else? I’m seeing on rtings.com that the B7A has a fairly low picture-quality rating “pre-calibration” (“after calibration” is super high, like 8.8-8.9 or something).

15 hours ago, Dodger said:

Just bought the C8 65 inch off ebay for $2249. Thanks spork. Says it will arrive next Thursday, hopefully I get it Monday or Tuesday because I'm not bringing my old tv with me when I move, and the cable buy is coming Monday. Don't want to be without a tv too long when I got the week off to check out glorious 4k gaming.

Hopefully it's light enough that I can set it up on a stand by myself. 

:clap:

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

My XboneX says that HDR and a slew of other things aren’t supported on the TV. :confused: I’m guessing I have some older HDMI cables (v1.4) connected on the XboneX and/or AVR. Good thing I thought this may happen and preemptively bought 4x new HDMI 2.0 cables :p 

Make sure to enable HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color for whatever inputs your using that you want HDR enabled for.  It's located under the general settings.  And if passing through an AVR make sure to enable whatever "DEEP COLOR" settings that they use as well.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@nacthenud did you calibrate yours on your own or did you use settings from somewhere else? I’m seeing on rtings.com that the B7A has a fairly low picture-quality rating “pre-calibration” (“after calibration” is super high, like 8.8-8.9 or something).

I did not have it professionally calibrated, no, but I spent a lot of time looking into settings that had been posted by various websites and users and then tweaking from there for my eyes.  I'm a believer in the idea that what looks best to you may be different than what looks best to someone else, since we all see slightly differently anyway.  Note that once you're happy with the settings you've made for one input, there is an option to push those same settings to ALL inputs.  This saves a lot of time.

The comment above about having the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color turned on for each input you want HDR for is important.  You won't get HDR without it, though I have found that for most sources, the TV auto-detected that I'd connected a capable device and asked me if I wanted to turn that setting on.

Here's my settings for mine in non-HDR mode:

To start with, use the Cinema preset, as the colours are very accurate out of the box in this mode.

p4yJeK4.jpg

Sharpness to 0 will eliminate any artificial sharpening and just display the intended pixels.  With sharpness set higher you run the risk of introducing haloing around objects.

ssIEOQi.jpg

pMs7ZTQ.jpg

Lots of people will tell you to have Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction turned off, but I find that when it is set to auto, it doesn't affect standard blu ray's, but does help clean up low res, low quality sources.

Real Cinema says "On", but it's actually greyed out (and therefore disabled) because it cannot function when TruMotion is on.  I have fiddled back and forth with Real Cinema on/off and tru motion settings for hours.  Running slow panning 24fps scenes over and over dozens of times and what I've found is that, for me, TruMotion set to 3 has the best balance of smoothing out stuttery motion from 24fps sources (movies) to a point where it isn't distracting without introducing noticeable soap opera effect.

HHQ0mCb.jpg

d43gu3O.jpg

Dynamic Contrast analyzes the incoming histogram from the video source and implements a dynamic tone mapping.  Many people will tell you to turn it on, but many will also recommend a low setting, including some professional calibrators.  Personally, I am happier with it set to low. 

Edge Enhancer introduces artificial sharpening and haloing/blooming risk - leave that off.

9vAbd1W.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Got HDR working, was the cable in my AVRs HDMI out.

Buuuuuut... PS4 Pro, when I start GoW the corner of the TV says “HDR” , then it seems to switch back as the picture settings are all the standard non-HDR ones (on XboneX the picture settings switch to the HDR ones). What’s going on?

@nacthenud @stepee

Hmmm... when you hit the settings button on the remote you can confirm if it is HDR because it will say "HDR Picture Mode" next to the picture mode selection:

KYOklUb.jpg

I would check settings on the PS4 as well as in the game's settings to see if it is set to output HDR

Here's my settings for HDR movies - again, use Cinema mode as it has the most accurate colours:

To3vcM8.jpg

TLoWCVI.jpg

cudm3oK.jpg

Note - I leave Noise Reduction options off here, since any 4K HDR source is going to be a pristine signal to begin with and then I'm not risking any artificial removal of fine detail.

TruMotion set to 3 or 4 again.  Real Cinema greyed out.  As discussed in the SDR settings.

jJPBIRV.jpg

IarsdYf.jpg

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

Hmmm... when you hit the settings button on the remote you can confirm if it is HDR because it will say "HDR Picture Mode" next to the picture mode selection:

KYOklUb.jpg

I would check settings on the PS4 as well as in the game's settings to see if it is set to output HDR

Yea, it does not say HDR like it does when the XboneX is playing HDR content. In the settings for my PS4, under video output, it does say that HDR is available and is listed as one of the output methods, but it’s not actually doing it for some reason.

It does say HDR in the corner when the game starts up, though, which is so weird.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, it does not say HDR like it does when the XboneX is playing HDR content. In the settings for my PS4, under video output, it does say that HDR is available and is listed as one of the output methods, but it’s not actually doing it for some reason.

Did you check the display options within God of War itself?

Go to the game options.  There should be a toggle to "Enable HDR Content"

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

Did you check the display options within God of War itself?

Go to the game options.  There should be a toggle to "Enable HDR Content"

JFC WHY IS THAT HIDDEN UNDER “SCREEN CALIBRATION”?!?!? :beatup:

7 minutes ago, nacthenud said:

Well, I take that to mean it is working now, at least. :twothumbsup:

Yep! :sun: 

Oooone more thing, though. On my previous TV, when switching to one of the built-in apps or using a USB stick, it would automatically switch my receiver to the input I have set for the optical out and then switch back to the previous input when exiting. However, this TV seems to constantly want to switch the input at random, it also keeps turning on my PS4 for some reason. When exiting an app it also just seems to stay in wrong input instead of switching back. What’s going on here? :(