Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Coming November 18, 2022

Keyser_Soze

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

my problem with arceus was the pokemon fights. like every pokémon could be two shotted regardless of typing if the levels were close. felt dumb 

Yeah I had that same complaint. They streamlined how fast the battles went, but I felt like making everything die (or kill) so fast kind of ruined some of the tension and satisfaction of digging in your heels against a strong opponent.

Meanwhile here I walked into the wrong area and challenged some random NPC to battle and the fucker sounds out a level 53 Pokemon that levels my entire team with ease. My poor level 17 never stood a chance.

Then I found that part of the starting area connects with a later area, so you can find some higher level Pokemon, level 22-23ish, so I carefully battled many of those and caught a few, with them doing significant damage and getting lots of status effects off, lost a lot of revives and potions, but got a nice boost to my roster. Was very satisfying and a fun surprise to find!

Is there a big difference between the two games? This is a sample size of exactly one store, but I was in a Target yesterday, and they had probably 20+ copies of Scarlet and 0 Violet. There a kid there looking for the game, but when he was told they only had Scarlet, he noped outta there immediately.

16 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Is there a big difference between the two games? This is a sample size of exactly one store, but I was in a Target yesterday, and they had probably 20+ copies of Scarlet and 0 Violet. There a kid there looking for the game, but when he was told they only had Scarlet, he noped outta there immediately.

I think it’s the same as normal but tbf I would prob do the same if it wasn’t the one I wanted (also Violet) since worse cases I could always Amazon if there wasn’t a best buy with it or smtn 

32 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

@Xbob42 can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can change out of the school uniform. I mean, orange and white uniforms versus purple and gray? That's enough for me to want Violet.

pokemon_differences.jpg

31 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Here's the difference.

pokemon-pokemon-scarlet-and-violet.gif

As you can see, Scarlet is for dipshits. Complete morons. The dumbest people on earth. Sex perverts and degenerate motherfuckers. People with brains made out of low grade bologna. Absolutely abysmal. I can't even look at that shit.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Here's the difference.

As you can see, Scarlet is for dipshits. Complete morons. The dumbest people on earth. Sex perverts and degenerate motherfuckers. People with brains made out of low grade bologna. Absolutely abysmal. I can't even look at that shit.

now tell us how you feel without holding back 

also lmao that is so fucking dumb and my favorite color is orange so now I almost wish I DID get scarlet 

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Here's the difference.

That's awful. Violet is absolutely the right choice.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

now tell us how you feel without holding back 

also lmao that is so fucking dumb and my favorite color is orange so now I almost wish I DID get scarlet 

Haha, it'd be perfect if they just got rid of the stupid wheels while he was running. I think it'd be cool to have one be like a motorcycle and the other like riding a horse, but keeping the wheels just makes it look like it was made be a complete dumbass. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Haha, it'd be perfect if they just got rid of the stupid wheels while he was running. I think it'd be cool to have one be like a motorcycle and the other like riding a horse, but keeping the wheels just makes it look like it was made be a complete dumbass. :lol:

Its just so weird that the wheels don’t even move so then why?!?!

39 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Here's the difference.

Well that seals it. I wasn’t going to buy either, but now I’m gonna grab a copy of Scarlet on my way home. That’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen and I need it. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Ha, found a specific vista where it REALLY chugs. It's only at the top of this weird cliff but boy howdy does the Switch not like it! We're entering PowerPoint mode!

They should have hid it by making it a narrative thing where it takes place in a cyber world where some areas are falling apart.

I’m at the first real city and it’s really nice but it is a bit disappointing that A) The city is kind of gated off and not really connected to the open world and especially considering that, B) In the entire city besides the school there were two buildings you could enter I could find (sandwich place and barber). Also your pokémon friend runs too slow behind you in the city and can’t keep up so he just ends up warping back into your pocket unless you slow jog.

Those are my biggest complaints so far, the performance is whatever, it’s what you would expect and yeah I’m kinda surprised people are making such a fuss since it’s not much worse than the others and at least looks way better beyond that. I really like how places look like places now instead of flat green textures. The mon look fantastic here and I’m loving the new ones and the in general seems like a really good mix.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I’m at the first real city and it’s really nice but it is a bit disappointing that A) The city is kind of gated off and not really connected to the open world and especially considering that, B) In the entire city besides the school there were two buildings you could enter I could find (sandwich place and barber). Also your pokémon friend runs too slow behind you in the city and can’t keep up so he just ends up warping back into your pocket unless you slow jog.

Those are my biggest complaints so far, the performance is whatever, it’s what you would expect and yeah I’m kinda surprised people are making such a fuss since it’s not much worse than the others and at least looks way better beyond that. I really like how places look like places now instead of flat green textures. The mon look fantastic here and I’m loving the new ones and the in general seems like a really good mix.

Amusingly, my company about the first city was that there were too many different stores. There's a store for picnic items, a haberdashery, a shop for backpacks, another just for socks, one for shoes, another that just sold gloves, and like a million different restaurants and cafes that mostly sold the same thing but sometimes didn't.

Technical issues with the stores were annoying. It sometimes took too long to load. It's also unfortunate that they don't tell you which hairstyles can't be paid with hats until after you get the haircut.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Amusingly, my company about the first city was that there were too many different stores. There's a store for picnic items, a haberdashery, a shop for backpacks, another just for socks, one for shoes, another that just sold gloves, and like a million different restaurants and cafes that mostly sold the same thing but sometimes didn't.

Technical issues with the stores were annoying. It sometimes took too long to load. It's also unfortunate that they don't tell you which hairstyles can't be paid with hats until after you get the haircut.

Well it’s kind of both are true. There are too many store facades that do nothing more than act as a menu without being able to visit them. I would rather like just make three more interior stores and get rid of the rest of them. And yeah the loading seemed weird. 

So many stores being just menus like that does seem to me like something where it wasn’t the plan but they ran out of time so thats what they did.

I also wish there were more buildings to go into. Most of the stores are just a store UI that pops up, but you can go inside a few that do have an interior. That said, I think the idea is that you won't be spending a ton of time inside cities either way, and the other city I've been to besides the main "big" one was a lot smaller and much more interesting in terms of just being a unique little place with its own identity. Had a kid's playground/jungle gym you could navigate to get some extra items, a hedge maze with an item or two in it (that you could also jump on top of like a real pro) and a bunch of weird art installations.

And the gym test, while kinda silly, was a nice change of pace from either fighting a bunch of gym battles before getting to the leader or playing a weird barely-functional minigame. It still wasn't like mind blowing or anything but it got you exploring the town if you didn't already.

Also holy shit the performance in the big city NOSEDIVES in co-op. I invited my sister and she was like "LOL THE FPS" on Discord and I've never felt more related. Luckily outside of the city it wasn't much different.

• Haha 1

Technically you’d think they could take everything here and combine it with the well received QOL updates and real time capturing options of Legends and release it on the next Nintendo system so it runs smoothly and it should be like perfect so it will be interesting to see how they fumble that in the next two years or so. 

Seriously for the next system just keep the graphics like this and make the lod better and make it run at 60fps instead of anything else. Do at least one like that. 

22 minutes ago, Brian said:

To see the “4090 is fucking amaze balls and I got god rays streaming out of my ass. Fuck 8k, 16k/240 is the future of life” bros bending backwards for Nintendo and Pokémon is exactly why Nintendo gives zero fucks about technology. 

Omg. So dead on. 

• Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, Brian said:

To see the “4090 is fucking amaze balls and I got god rays streaming out of my ass. Fuck 8k, 16k/240 is the future of life” bros bending backwards for Nintendo and Pokémon is exactly why Nintendo gives zero fucks about technology. 

This isn't a Nintendo problem. Nintendo does FAR better with the Switch that Gamefreak does. Gamefreak deserves all the flack they get here. They could call up Nintendo for help optimizing the game and just chose not to.

That said, I have a pretty capable gaming PC, but there are some experiences I can't have on it. I don't think anyone here is excusing Gamefreak, just that the game is plenty of fun in spite of the technical issues.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This isn't a Nintendo problem. Nintendo does FAR better with the Switch that Gamefreak does. Gamefreak deserves all the flack they get here. They could call up Nintendo for help optimizing the game and just chose not to.

That said, I have a pretty capable gaming PC, but there are some experiences I can't have on it. I don't think anyone here is excusing Gamefreak, just that the game is plenty of fun in spite of the technical issues.

Nothing wrong enjoying a game despite its performance flaws. I find it comical who is do the hand waving of performance in here. 

50 minutes ago, Biggie said:

So in handheld mode it’s doable?

It’s about the same as Sun/Moon

38 minutes ago, Brian said:

Literally not what I said.

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

Nothing wrong enjoying a game despite its performance flaws. I find it comical who is do the hand waving of performance in here. 

Not hand waving anything, but reach all you want lmao

• Haha 1