San Francisco school board members voted out in a landslide

rawImage.jpg
WWW.SFGATE.COM

Mayor London Breed will now appoint board replacements to serve until another election in...

Parents in the politically liberal city launched the recall effort in January 2021 out of frustration over the slow reopening of district schools while the board pursued the renaming of 44 school sites and the elimination of competitive admissions at the elite Lowell High School.

“The city of San Francisco has risen up and said this is not acceptable to put our kids last,” said Siva Raj, a father of two who helped launch the recall effort. “Talk is not going to educate our children, it’s action. It’s not about symbolic action, it’s not about changing the name on a school, it is about helping kids inside the school building read and learn math.”

the Democratic Party is going to need a miracle to not get destroyed across the balance of 2022 elections.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nah generic ballot, presidential approval, and historical trends are enough

The local elections are telling a lot about why the above is lining up how it is. Youngkin won in VA on the back of opposing, real or imagined, issues that people like these SF school board members were also being accused of pushing.

Even in deep blue places, there is a creeping dissatisfaction with the Democratic Party and all the things you mentioned are aligning with the results in elections for the last three months, and that doesn’t seem to be improving.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The local elections are telling a lot about why the above is lining up how it is. Youngkin won in VA on the back of opposing, real or imagined, issues that people like these SF school board members were also being accused of pushing.

Even in deep blue places, there is a creeping dissatisfaction with the Democratic Party and all the things you mentioned are aligning with the results in elections for the last three months, and that doesn’t seem to be improving.

The swing in NJ was nearly the same as the swing in VA. The issues don’t matter anymore as state elections are nationalized and split ticket voting decreases due to polarization. The national environment/Bidens unpopularity being the single biggest factor because it is the constant across these races, this is true now as it was in other midterm elections for nearly the past century

• True 1

This election says nothing nationally, these are democrats being replaced by democrats in a recall endorsed by the democratic mayor, and also centered around a SF specific instance where schools were closed while just about everywhere else they were open, its almost as if a local election was about local issues not national politics.

It’s going to be hilarious when Covid restrictions and schools are consistently referenced in local, state, and federal elections this year, and certain people pretend they didn’t see signs all along the way.

Nobody, I mean NOBODY, could have seen the changing sentiments and their impacts on elections.

9 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

This election says nothing nationally, these are democrats being replaced by democrats in a recall endorsed by the democratic mayor, and also centered around a SF specific instance where schools were closed while just about everywhere else they were open, its almost as if a local election was about local issues not national politics.

Never underestimate the GOP's ability to take a local issue and blast it into a national crisis. Democrats are asleep and the Right is screaming about (made up) issues other media just doesn't cover. 

25 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

And these people lost by like 60 points. NJ and VA swung by like 12-13. 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And these people lost by like 60 points. NJ and VA swung by like 12-13. 

Not comparable. The recall was effectively to replace board members from their party with other board members from their party. But we know that the leaders of the recall were harping on about all the same things as we’ve seen every where else. It is just particularly notable that this dissatisfaction has spread even to our bluest regions, even if not to the same degree.

When you aggregate all of the local sentiments you get national implications. And I don’t think there is a whole lot in the next 8 months or so that Biden and the leaders of the Democratic Party can do to rewrite the narrative that has emerged. This is why I expect to see these local races continue to feature similar complaints and talking points, even if they seem to be questionable in their basis.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

@Jason @b_m_b_m_b_m Your boy.

This is the problem with conflating "the reason why one side got a majority" with "the issues the winning campaign highlighted." 

See again Virginia. Youngkin wasn't elected because of his message, just look at the polling in the state. He won because dem voters didn't turn out. 

Here's what I've learned after years of posting with you fine people:

Democrats lose Republican seats by 1 point when they usually lose by 30 - LOL MORAL VICTORIES DEMS ARE FUCKED WHY CAN'T THEY WIN DEMS IN DISARRAY

Democrats win Senate seat in Alabama - Yeah but he barely beat a child predator dems in disarray

Republicans do something similar - Democrats are about to lose power for 5000 years

I hate you all.

Also, if COVID gets into endemic stages, the political climate will be different. Dems being behind on the generic ballot now doesn't mean the same applies in 5 months. If inflation also tapers as some economists are saying, the climate is different. If we're in the same spot by September/October, I'm pretty sure Republicans are going to do well this year. All I can say is I'm glad this isn't 2020 and redistricting is happening now because there have been improvements to the maps that will matter for the next 10 years, which is why 2018 was so important and why 2022 being shitty would be shitty but not as shitty as 2010.

28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Here's what I've learned after years of posting with you fine people:

Democrats lose Republican seats by 1 point when they usually lose by 30 - LOL MORAL VICTORIES DEMS ARE FUCKED WHY CAN'T THEY WIN DEMS IN DISARRAY

Democrats win Senate seat in Alabama - Yeah but he barely beat a child predator dems in disarray

Republicans do something similar - Democrats are about to lose power for 5000 years

I hate you all.

Also, if COVID gets into endemic stages, the political climate will be different. Dems being behind on the generic ballot now doesn't mean the same applies in 5 months. If inflation also tapers as some economists are saying, the climate is different. If we're in the same spot by September/October, I'm pretty sure Republicans are going to do well this year. All I can say is I'm glad this isn't 2020 and redistricting is happening now because there have been improvements to the maps that will matter for the next 10 years, which is why 2018 was so important and why 2022 being shitty would be shitty but not as shitty as 2010.

The drumbeat of inflation will be the biggest factor in the midterms despite the best job market in our lifetime. (And there’s not much that can resolve the inflation other than building up supply chains from a decade+ of slack and building housing). Best bet for dems is to point to record corporate profits and their price hikes as a scapegoat as there’s not much they can do to fix it in the short term. 

there’s still a decent chance of dems holding the house because of the very favorable redistricting. But don’t discount an engaged opposition and complacent dems staying home aiding to historical trends!

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And there’s not much that can resolve the inflation other than building up supply chains from a decade+ of slack and building housing

Kill the corporate profit motive, tax large cash holdings, smash monopolies, and create a federal realty agency. Easy. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The drumbeat of inflation will be the biggest factor in the midterms despite the best job market in our lifetime. (And there’s not much that can resolve the inflation other than building up supply chains from a decade+ of slack and building housing). Best bet for dems is to point to record corporate profits and their price hikes as a scapegoat as there’s not much they can do to fix it in the short term. 

there’s still a decent chance of dems holding the house because of the very favorable redistricting. But don’t discount an engaged opposition and complacent dems staying home aiding to historical trends!

I love being right