New Android update sucks

SuperSpreader

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

similar complaint but more broadly that auto correct i find is jut not very good. If I’m not close to knowing how to spell a word and type it in google, I usually get the word I’m looking for corrected, it’s probably more miss than hit with that on ios. Like if I’m typing proccitio, you know what I mean ios! Well it doesn’t, but google knows it’s prosciutto.

or learn to spell? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

An OS back button that does different tings at different times depending on the last thing you did is one of the weirdest things Android users seem to like. Most preferences I understand even if they don't click for me, this one I'll never get.

Can you still not swipe to go back on Android phones? That was a deal breaker for me for the longest time but I assume at least some makers have that now? If not, it seems like just trying to pivot away from Android lacking that.

People say how ios is overrated and what not but man you know what’s overrated? Fucking Android, just because it seems as though the internet has been trying to shove it down my throat for a decade now.

Android fandom seems largely based around telling people how much better it is than ios whereas ios fandom seems more based around being fine with ios and not caring.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

An OS back button that does different tings at different times depending on the last thing you did is one of the weirdest things Android users seem to like. Most preferences I understand even if they don't click for me, this one I'll never get.

The back button always seemed intuitive to me. I’ve been on plenty of apps where swipe left does not go back and sometimes there isn’t even an X somewhere to reach to. I have to restart the app to get it to work. Some will blame this on the developer, but a back button would prevent this issue.

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

Can you still not swipe to go back on Android phones? That was a deal breaker for me for the longest time but I assume at least some makers have that now? If not, it seems like just trying to pivot away from Android lacking that.

People say how ios is overrated and what not but man you know what’s overrated? Fucking Android, just because it seems as though the internet has been trying to shove it down my throat for a decade now.

Android fandom seems largely based around telling people how much better it is than ios whereas ios fandom seems more based around being fine with ios and not caring.

Not caring is what Apple users are all about. 

Better options? Don't care.

Despite upgrading my phone recently I still struggle to justify its existence. I don't know how you fucking people sit on these things all day. Gaming on them sucks, media in general sucks, browsing websites sucks, typing especially sucks and as a guy who types 9 paraph first impressions of games before my morning shit, that one's probably the most annoying for me. A phone always seems handy to have around, but more in the "this will serve as entertainment/communication briefly" kind of way. I dunno how anyone can sit on one for like 6 hours at a restaurant or whatever.

Even with relatively recent additions like decent picture-in-picture it still feels really limited and simple. It's like a computer for babies.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Despite upgrading my phone recently I still struggle to justify its existence. I don't know how you fucking people sit on these things all day. Gaming on them sucks, media in general sucks, browsing websites sucks, typing especially sucks and as a guy who types 9 paraph first impressions of games before my morning shit, that one's probably the most annoying for me. A phone always seems handy to have around, but more in the "this will serve as entertainment/communication briefly" kind of way. I dunno how anyone can sit on one for like 6 hours at a restaurant or whatever.

Even with relatively recent additions like decent picture-in-picture it still feels really limited and simple. It's like a computer for babies.

I don’t know what phone you got but if you get a backbone gaming is plenty fine on them. Great for streaming pc in bed on a higher quality screen than a portable pc or handheld would normally give you. Also Apple Arcade has plenty of quality games with no in app purchase garbage, and then there’s emulation. 

As for regular use it’s easier to keep near my face for reading than say a laptop and I’m not going to like sit at a desk to read d1p.

Hm. Not really a bed gamer. I do two things in bed: Sleep and shit. No time for gaming.

Also I utterly despise touch controls in most phone games. It's occasionally tolerable but I'd much rather use a controller, except regardless of platform controller support is limited and annoying and it just always feels kind of jank. I really, really would buy a smart phone that just had the balls to have a built-in controller. Tilt control games can be pretty fun but seem to be a rare breed nowadays. They always felt much more natural to me than swiping a glass screen.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hm. Not really a bed gamer. I do two things in bed: Sleep and shit. No time for gaming.

Also I utterly despise touch controls in most phone games. It's occasionally tolerable but I'd much rather use a controller, except regardless of platform controller support is limited and annoying and it just always feels kind of jank. I really, really would buy a smart phone that just had the balls to have a built-in controller. Tilt control games can be pretty fun but seem to be a rare breed nowadays. They always felt much more natural to me than swiping a glass screen.

I mean ok not in bed but wherever you use a portable, if you don’t have any use or interest in a portable then well duh it wouldn’t be for you.

Your gamepad complaints were valid because yeah alternatives like gamepad clamps sucked, but that ended with the release of the kishi and especially backbone. I’ve tried tons of stuff including emulators and have had no issues with support. I’d think you’d like it more than a switch actually because it’s rounded corners and a wider hold.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

The back button always seemed intuitive to me. I’ve been on plenty of apps where swipe left does not go back and sometimes there isn’t even an X somewhere to reach to. I have to restart the app to get it to work. Some will blame this on the developer, but a back button would prevent this issue.

The only app where I’d regularly want a back button is a browser, and since swiping in Safari does this just fine, I’ve never felt I needed something at the OS level. 

My main experience with Android was at my last job where I’d be collecting and using hundreds of devices at a time and not knowing what the hell would happen when I pressed back was irritating. That is a extremely rare use case of course, but if I pick up my own phone after not using it for a while I’d have no idea what hitting Back would accomplish and it seems strange to me that people seem to like a mystery button. Maybe people are just much better at remembering the second to last thing they did on their phone? I have no idea. Not tying to change minds at all and it’s not just an Android thing. The Xbox UI does this too and it drives me insane. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Surprised to not see two spaces between sentences here tbh

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ve always had the opposite impression personally! I guess it’s a matter of perspective. Apple is like a fucking cult, which I am now a part of.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I’ve always had the opposite impression personally! I guess it’s a matter of perspective. Apple is like a fucking cult, which I am now a part of.

I mean besides android users talking about apple users pushing ios, where do you hang out where people are constantly pushing ios?I just don’t know where that community is besides apple forums i guess. 

And irl I don’t know anyone who would start an argument about either!

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I mean besides android users talking about apple users pushing ios, where do you hang out where people are constantly pushing ios?I just don’t know where that community is besides apple forums i guess. 

And irl I don’t know anyone who would start an argument about either!

I guess I know weird people!

”Ugh I can’t believe I associate with a green bubble”

Or people calling android phones “droids” as if that’s something derogatory? 

Or the whole “security on IOS is WAY better.” 

Also constant bitching about terrible OS fragmentation, which is clearly true, but like every decent app on iOS has to be paid for.

I’ve never met a single passionately pro Android person in my life. It’s usually like “yeah I don’t want an iPhone. This phone is cheap and does what I need it to.”

Anyway I made the switch and I’m probably not going to go back as it would be a pain in the ass, but can I please just get a vibrate only function? That might be my biggest gripe of all honestly. Hitting the silent switch and putting it on vibrate on silent is not the same thing!

36 minutes ago, Joe said:

I guess I know weird people!

”Ugh I can’t believe I associate with a green bubble”

Or people calling android phones “droids” as if that’s something derogatory? 

Or the whole “security on IOS is WAY better.” 

Also constant bitching about terrible OS fragmentation, which is clearly true, but like every decent app on iOS has to be paid for.

I’ve never met a single passionately pro Android person in my life. It’s usually like “yeah I don’t want an iPhone. This phone is cheap and does what I need it to.”

Anyway I made the switch and I’m probably not going to go back as it would be a pain in the ass, but can I please just get a vibrate only function? That might be my biggest gripe of all honestly. Hitting the silent switch and putting it on vibrate on silent is not the same thing!

The green bubble comment..this is irl?!

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Surprised to not see two spaces between sentences here tbh

Funny how this is the expected reply instead of anyone actually explaining what the hell they're doing all day on a phone. The fuck you people up to? Typing up work emails with your thumbs? Watching movies on a 5 inch screen? I know everyone here's as old or older than me, so you crusty fucks sure aren't chatting with women!

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Funny how this is the expected reply instead of anyone actually explaining what the hell they're doing all day on a phone. The fuck you people up to? Typing up work emails with your thumbs? Watching movies on a 5 inch screen? I know everyone here's as old or older than me, so you crusty fucks sure aren't chatting with women!

You don't have to type with your fingers you can type with your voice!

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

The green bubble comment..this is irl?!

“Green bubbles are gross”

“I’ve thought about getting my daughter droid so that she has no friends”

“Yeah I don’t know why people get droids anymore” 

Lets not forget Mille Bobby Brown literally was bullied off TikTok for not using an iPhone. It’s a cult!

Anybody that thinks the iPhone represents cult Apple did not live through Apple around the time the iMac debuted. That was probably peak Apple cult stuff because people were crazy and the sales were good but not even what Mac does in modern times, so there was still some level of “exclusivity”

Now tons of people have apple products in their homes. A lot of Apple/Jobs cultists actually have become Tesla/Musk cultists

I don't really get arguing over the phone stuff. Except for my first year or so of owning a smartphone in 2010 and a yearlong detour in 2016, I've been with Apple. I've never had a problem with it doing what I need it to do and I like the aesthetics of their phones in general. I'll upgrade every couple years or so. But I can't say I really ever give it a thought when someone has an Android phone, except for the initial reminder of the green bubble. Not really an Apple fan, but I'm invested enough in the ecosystem with the watch and an iPad, and I've just never had any motivation to change.

Eh. Whatevs.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, stepee said:

This doesn't track for me when a couple of the major focuses of iOS that come to mind are telling people how badly they detest Green bubbles in text messaging and whatnot. The superiority complex is definitely not something iOS nor its users/identity can claim to not have. The whole green bubble stuff is absolutely real and is the total opposite of "being fine with iOS not caring".

3 hours ago, Esonar said:

This doesn't track for me when a couple of the major focuses of iOS that come to mind are telling people how badly they detest Green bubbles in text messaging and whatnot. The superiority complex is definitely not something iOS nor its users/identity can claim to not have. The whole green bubble stuff is absolutely real and is the total opposite of "being fine with iOS not caring".

I just now got what “green bubble” even meant but lol guess it is a thing amongst some crowds then. I guess I’ve probably had more conversations with tech people who try to sell me on the virtues of Android unprompted. I’m assuming the “green bubble” thing is more around like just elitists pricks that care about status or something and I don’t hang out with many of those. I’m willing to accept that fans of both are awful!