Babylon 5 is being rebooted...on The CW

29 minutes ago, elbobo said:

B5 reboot with JMS is in charge, awesome.

CW, oh no.

The main limitation with CW should be relatively low budgets. The upside is CW will run just about anything for a ton of seasons so they shouldn't jerk him around on how many seasons he's getting.

59 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I want to believe! This would be a dream come true, but I'd feel a bit better if it was on HBO or the like. Oh well, let's do this! All alone, in the dark... 

I'll at least show up considering JMS is running it. As for why not something like HBO I wonder if JMS wants to do long seasons again. The original show was 22 episodes a season and I can't think of anyone other than CW still commissioning those kinds of episode counts nowadays.

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'll at least show up considering JMS is running it. As for why not something like HBO I wonder if JMS wants to do long seasons again. The original show was 22 episodes a season and I can't think of anyone other than CW still commissioning those kinds of episode counts nowadays.

Can you even film that many episodes of a big scifi show nowadays with the vastly increased production values? Star Trek and B5 were pumping out all those episodes back in the 80s and 90s because they almost look soap opera-like by today's standards and had absolutely brutal filming schedules.

32 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Can you even film that many episodes of a big scifi show nowadays with the vastly increased production values? Star Trek and B5 were pumping out all those episodes back in the 80s and 90s because they almost look soap opera-like by today's standards and had absolutely brutal filming schedules.

Superman and Lois looked really good and apparently the whole "it's getting pumped full of HBO money as a result of the fact that it's going to be streaming on HBO Max after the season's over" turned out to not be true. Legends of Tomorrow also looked pretty damn good in season 6, it seemed like they got a budget increase that let me do some good makeup and FX work that they haven't had the money for in other recent seasons.

Plus looking back to the original B5 how much fancy FX did it actually have? I feel like it went decent stretches without needing heavy FX. I guess it's a question of was JMS writing around the budget or did he actually just not need FX for a lot of what he wanted to do. If it's going to be 15 episode seasons like Superman and Lois or Legends of Tomorrow season 6 then I think they should be fine. If it's 22 episodes a season again then I still think there should just organically be a number of episodes which simply don't eat up a bunch of FX budget, although the makeup budget might be more demanding than we've seen from other CW shows.

As for the brutal filming schedules...the CW already does that with a lot of its shows.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Doesn't broadcast TV do this pretty regularly? Aren't all the laws and orders and grey's anatomies and all of them 60 minute shows that have a million episodes a season?

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Doesn't broadcast TV do this pretty regularly? Aren't all the laws and orders and grey's anatomies and all of them 60 minute shows that have a million episodes a season?

Well Arrowverse stuff is the only broadcast TV I really care about. :p Fair point though. Don't those shows usually have pretty minimal FX though, at least compared to sci-fi and superhero stuff? Isn't everything else that's getting made nowadays that has lots of episodes per season purely live action stuff with relatively low production costs? 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Well Arrowverse stuff is the only broadcast TV I really care about. :p Fair point though. Don't those shows usually have pretty minimal FX though, at least compared to sci-fi and superhero stuff? Isn't everything else that's getting made nowadays that has lots of episodes per season purely live action stuff with relatively low production costs? 

I honestly have no idea and would need @skillzdadirecta to have any clue at all.

5 hours ago, elbobo said:

On 9/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, CitizenVectron said:
TSDBAFI_EC153-H-2021.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Original series creator J. Michael Straczynski will pen the script for the update.

I'm not very interested to see a cast of attractive 25-year-olds playing a crew of 18-year-olds.

I mean, Captain Sheridan is the lead. Its doubtful jms is writing a show about 18 year olds.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's what the AI will be for, especially since it will be animated!

Actually just recasts for all the deceased actors. :p

babylon_5_the_road_home_620.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

It’s up for preorder, too.

Eh on the whole thing probably being ultimately throwaway given the time travel/parallel universes angle, and the animation looks like generic DC superhero animation (fitting given it's WB animation I guess), but still excited to have any new B5 content and hopefully it's a good foot in the door for more to come.

I want to be excited for this, but I don't recall B5 well enough to be invested in the story, and the time travel / multiverse thing is a hard sell. I also just really dislike this generic style of CG animation. I'll probably still watch some of it.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I want to be excited for this, but I don't recall B5 well enough to be invested in the story, and the time travel / multiverse thing is a hard sell. I also just really dislike this generic style of CG animation. I'll probably still watch some of it.

I know the Earth civil war arc after Sheridan sends the Vorlons and Shadows packing was supposed to be quite a bit longer than what we actually got, so I wouldn't mind seeing a fleshed-out version of that (even if in animation), but I can also understand not wanting to go back and basically redo half a season. Between how much of the original cast is dead and how old the rest of the cast is at this point, hopefully this is a "use who's left while we still have them" thing that tees up getting studio buy-in for an actual new story in the universe.