Stellar Blade (Korean Bayonetta/NieR:Automata | PS5 | 26 April 2024) - reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yes it's hell to develop for an under powered console.

With Nintendo money. While I'm sure the budget is there, I can't help but wonder if Nintendo if isn't micromanaging and adding their "creative input." I know Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2, but I also believe it didn't make a ton of money. I wouldn't be surprised if Bayonetta 3 was a bit... different.

• 2 years later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stellar Blade (Korean Bayonetta/NieR:Automata | PS5 | 26 April 2024) - "New Gameplay Overview" trailer
11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That looks really good, I would definitely be buying it on day one if I had a PS5. April is a lot sooner than I was expecting it to come out. I’ll just add it to the list of PS5 games that I want.

I didn't think this was a particularly strong showing for this game. I'm sure the game will be fine and I've enjoyed Shift Up's other work (Nikke specifically) but I think they probably should have focused on some awesome looking gameplay here instead of, "here's this girl, and this guy, and where she sits and drinks soda," it was nearing some B game vibes to me.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I didn't think this was a particularly strong showing for this game. I'm sure the game will be fine and I've enjoyed Shift Up's other work (Nikke specifically) but I think they probably should have focused on some awesome looking gameplay here instead of, "here's this girl, and this guy, and where she sits and drinks soda," it was nearing some B game vibes to me.

I get what you’re saying, but I actually liked that they showed more than just action and combat because I was under the impression that it was a pure action game but it has adventure and RPG elements as well. It definitely looks like a B game, but I’m fine with that because I really like B games.

25 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

It definitely looks like a B game, but I’m fine with that because I really like B games.

I know you do but I just find it a little funny a game like this would not only be funded by Sony but show up at their State of Play. I've always held their stuff to a higher standard. I mean clearly the moneyhatting at the end (of the State of Play) with Kojima was what the standard is. :p

• True 1

• 1 month later...

Also known as @Phaseknox' dreamgame.

EDIT: Just finished watching that video and I have so many mixed feelings about this game. It looks good and the combat looks great, but it's definitely a game I would feel weird playing in front of people. Also I wonder how long this game is... it seems like it would be short but sweet. The overt sexuality of this game is off putting though. I can only imagine what some of the outfits look like.

You know the cool thing about this studio is the founder, and director of this game is Kim Hyung-tae. If you're unfamiliar he's the artist that did the artwork and character design for Manga Carta: Tears of Blood and later Blade & Soul. This studio also does the NIKKE game so they certainly seem to have a consistent design style which I personally enjoy. If I had a Playstation I would support it just based on that.

But since I don't, oh well! 🤷‍♀️

(Sony supposedly cracked down on the lewds but got desperate with this game :p)

• Halal 1

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also known as @Phaseknox' dreamgame.

True.

47 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The overt sexuality of this game is off putting though. I can only imagine what some of the outfits look like.

It’s not off putting to me, I’m looking forward to seeing the different outfits. :]

• Haha 2

I mean, it seems leering at or ogling women, fan service, and pushing the male gaze is strong with this one, regardless of game quality, it should be amusing to see the online discourse on this when it drops. The best part is when he says: "this is entertainment for adults" to justify the teenage boy fantasies. Just be honest my dude. :lol:

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, it seems leering at or ogling women, fan service, and pushing the male gaze is strong with this one, regardless of game quality, it should be amusing to see the online discourse on this when it drops. The best part is when he says: "this is entertainment for adults" to justify the teenage boy fantasies. Just be honest my dude. :lol:

The mods fot this when it hits P.C....

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've never in my entire life understood the "I'm gonna be looking at my character's ass this entire game" arguments. When the fuck are you looking at your character's ass in any game??

I mean besides when it's made front-and-center and you're "supposed" to look at it, like here.

• Thanks 1
  • True 2

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know the cool thing about this studio is the founder, and director of this game is Kim Hyung-tae. If you're unfamiliar he's the artist that did the artwork and character design for Manga Carta: Tears of Blood and later Blade & Soul. This studio also does the NIKKE game so they certainly seem to have a consistent design style which I personally enjoy. If I had a Playstation I would support it just based on that.

Not even @Greatoneshere appreciated my deep dive into this game studio's history. 😢

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I feel like I'm more comfortable with it in this because it wears it on its sleeve. Fan service is far worse when you're purporting to be a more serious story and then all of a sudden its fan service nonsensical sexy time for characters that have no business doing that.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I feel like I'm more comfortable with it in this because it wears it on its sleeve. Fan service is far worse when you're purporting to be a more serious story and then all of a sudden its fan service nonsensical sexy time for characters that have no business doing that.

I agree in that you have to have your tone match the overt sexualization of the character(s), for sure. Hence people's issues with Quiet in MGS5 by comparison (a game I loved but yeah). 

• True 1

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bayonetta, Nier Automata, Dead or Alive and a bunch of other games are on Xbox.... I'm confused by this video.

The screencap to the video alone says all there needs to be said about the video. That's some rage clickbait right there, or what certainly looks like it. :p 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bayonetta, Nier Automata, Dead or Alive and a bunch of other games are on Xbox.... I'm confused by this video.

That video is talking about this article:

NICHEGAMER.COM

Microsoft urges developers not to create female characters with "exaggerated body proportions" on their official site to support game devs. The site, titled "Product Inclusion Action: Help...

13 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

That video is talking about this article:

NICHEGAMER.COM

Microsoft urges developers not to create female characters with "exaggerated body proportions" on their official site to support game devs. The site, titled "Product Inclusion Action: Help...

Oh, the horror of suggesting that devs should avoid negative gender stereotypes for both male and female characters if they want to reach a larger audience. Male characters with a full range of emotions? Female characters with armor that matches its function? The absolute travesty.

What a dumb article title for an incredibly benign recommendation from Microsoft. I swear, gamers are some of the whinest bunch of people on the planet.

I remember the collective shit gamers threw when Nintendo first started throwing optional difficulty reducing items in Mario games. Games being enjoyed by more people than just me? I'm utterly verklempt.

• Halal 1