God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

That reminds be about boats and a part near the end of the game

Spoiler

I was so let down there wasn't like an actual flying zone for Freyr. Like, when I saw all that empty space in the crater I thought I'd be using that boat. I had even thought it would have a role in the end game, like maybe flying into Asgard. 

It's a damn shame. 

I finished the game over the weekend and overall it really is great. There are a few things that were annoying, but it's hard to fault the whole package. I think that thing that annoyed me more than anything was the god damn hostile plant life. All it does is slow the game down so you can't sprint around because maybe there is an exploding plant you have to hit from a distance before you can carry on.

Camera lock definitely becomes an issue in some of the boss fights. The berserkers in particular make it basically useless to camera lock because you can't sprint away if you're locked on. But then at the same time, you can't whip the camera round fast enough at times when the enemy is teleporting around.

One of my favorite lines was from Lunda

Spoiler

I had her upgrade the spear to max lavel, and upon completion she says in astoshimnet "even pointer than before" and the delivery was fucking killer. Got my wife laughing too.

I really enjoyed the dialog across the whole game, but that one in particular was great.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

9 hours ago, legend said:

I finished the game over the weekend and overall it really is great. There are a few things that were annoying, but it's hard to fault the whole package. I think that thing that annoyed me more than anything was the god damn hostile plant life. All it does is slow the game down so you can't sprint around because maybe there is an exploding plant you have to hit from a distance before you can carry on.

YES. I'm mopping up that realm and this sucks so hard. That whole realm has too much going on in general, but the environmental hazards make going back and looking for stuff a complete drag.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

Approaching the end of the post game activities. Thought I'd chime in on likes vs dislikes of this game.

Overall it's great, but felt the world and side-quests weren't quite as tight as the first game. I think this is mostly due to how the various realms were split up each into their own mini-open worlds vs mostly just midgard in the previous game. Finding that getting some of the collectables and such a bit more tedious due to the need to find a very specific, relatively hidden path. Coming from something like Elden Ring this stands out more. Outside of that the Valkyrie fights were much more fun than most of the berserkers.

Again, everything else about the game is excellent. Love the characters, narrative, etc... Combat is really well done and fun.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

YES. I'm mopping up that realm and this sucks so hard. That whole realm has too much going on in general, but the environmental hazards make going back and looking for stuff a complete drag.

Glad it’s not just me, I HATE that mechanic in all games. If you can’t find a way to make avoiding the environmental hazards fun, don’t use them. And slowly hunting the entire area and finding them in advance and waiting for poison to clear is not a fun thing to do for anyone.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Approaching the end of the post game activities. Thought I'd chime in on likes vs dislikes of this game.

Overall it's great, but felt the world and side-quests weren't quite as tight as the first game. I think this is mostly due to how the various realms were split up each into their own mini-open worlds vs mostly just midgard in the previous game. Finding that getting some of the collectables and such a bit more tedious due to the need to find a very specific, relatively hidden path. Coming from something like Elden Ring this stands out more. Outside of that the Valkyrie fights were much more fun than most of the berserkers.

Again, everything else about the game is excellent. Love the characters, narrative, etc... Combat is really well done and fun.

There is something to be said on the ever-evolving Midgard in the first game and the changing level design based upon the World Serpent's movements.

But even with that, there's also something quite cool about the wider worlds here (with more verticality and secrets) and the number realms you can visit and explore, which makes the journey grander. I'm used to having either one big open world or something like the 2018 GOW's changing one; I'm not used to having a bunch of sandboxes in one game, especially ones that are made with a wide-linear flow in mind.

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

There is something to be said on the ever-evolving Midgard in the first game and the changing level design based upon the World Serpent's movements.

But even with that, there's also something quite cool about the wider worlds here (with more verticality and secrets) and the number realms you can visit and explore, which makes the journey grander. I'm used to having either one big open world or something like the 2018 GOW's changing one; I'm not used to having a bunch of sandboxes in one game, especially ones that are made with a wide-linear flow in mind.

I know it feels like a weird complaint. As I'm playing the post story stuff I keep getting this feeling like they included what would be DLC in most other games. The verticality is something that's a bit hit & miss for me. It's cool to see, but after you've climbed very linear rocks/ruins once you've climbed them all. It makes traversal, back tracking, and searching a bit of a chore.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Glad it’s not just me, I HATE that mechanic in all games. If you can’t find a way to make avoiding the environmental hazards fun, don’t use them. And slowly hunting the entire area and finding them in advance and waiting for poison to clear is not a fun thing to do for anyone.

YES. "I'm the fucking God of War, Asgard will regret fucking with me and my son, don't they know who they're dealing w... ow fuck shit is that a cactus? Is that flower shooting watermelon seeds at me, fuck I better stop to deal with this. My trusty ax that usually decapitates the undead norse can also handle this mushroom I wager" 

BOOOOOO

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 1

At the end game and just stopped when 

Spoiler

Thor tackles you and says he had enough of me and my son. For a minute, I thought I'd be fighting Thrud but Sif reasoned with her.

It's honestly an incredible visual feast to see the World Serpent and Ragnarok in the distance with Odin's armies and our armies fighting each other. I remember shitting myself seeing Ares in the first game lay waste to Athens, and now... DAMN.

• Halal 1

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Is there a mission name or area I should watch out for?

Spoilers only mention how to get the quests:

Spoiler

Talk to Lunda at any smith shop and she'll give you a side-quest in the dwarven realm. Also, go to Tyre's temple in Midgard and deal with the warriors from Asgard there, you should get a lore note about a prison that fell from Asgard (a quest will not appear), go to Nifilheim (use the warp for the Raven Tree) to investigate (a new path should have opened up on the way to the tree).

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

You assholes went through this way too quick . I guess I did also beat another open world game while playing this along with starting Pokémon and Evil West and starting Miles over again but STILL.

Hell no I didn’t! :p Took me weeks to do the main story and clocked in at 42 hours.

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hell no I didn’t! :p Took me weeks to do the main story and clocked in at 42 hours.

Ok you aren’t as bad as the others since you are just like a weekend ahead of me.

I just want to be able to see what people are saying lol

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Spoilers only mention how to get the quests:

Hide contents

Talk to Lunda at any smith shop and she'll give you a side-quest in the dwarven realm. Also, go to Tyre's temple in Midgard and deal with the warriors from Asgard there, you should get a lore note about a prison that fell from Asgard (a quest will not appear), go to Nifilheim (use the warp for the Raven Tree) to investigate (a new path should have opened up on the way to the tree).

hmm didn’t get any lore 🤔 

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Huh I think I got the lore from another area because I already had that one. Strange

It might drop from whatever group you kill first. Did you follow the lore to the realm and new area? This is the one I mentioned got spoiled for me the other week when I searched for “what to do after beating the main story”, btw. Literally in the f’n numbered list title with zero warning instead of in the description :|

Well I decided I'm going to replay this today or tomorrow. I tried getting into A Plague Tale Requiem but I got stuck at a stealth section and never had the desire to go back. Mainly it's because all I'm thinking about it how fun Ragnarok is so I decided I'm going for another run!

Spoiler

:angry-fap-small:

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It might drop from whatever group you kill first. Did you follow the lore to the realm and new area? This is the one I mentioned got spoiled for me the other week when I searched for “what to do after beating the main story”, btw. Literally in the f’n numbered list title with zero warning instead of in the description :|

Yup!

Spoiler

I dunno if I’ll be seeing the real one again post game, but it was cool that he was alive. Someone on reset noted that if you have subtitles on, they don’t put an accent over the Y of the imposter, but they do over the real one. I never noticed that!

23 hours ago, Bacon said:

TBH, I rather cut down plants than all the fucking wall climbing and hole crawling. 

Yeah, far more than any graphical goodies that might have been missed out on, that's the stuff that feels like the real hold-over from this being a PS4 game.

Maybe I'm wrong and they'd still add in a bunch of slow climbing stuff even if they didn't have to worry about load times, but god does it suck, especially if you don't have any dialog going on.

I started over this morning. Played 3 hours straight. I'm trying to open every chest in the game.

I'll tell you what

Spoiler

In the beginning of the game when Fenrir dies in Atreus's arms had my tears rolling. Even though I knew he lives later on. :Dunno:

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I guess I’m about to start the last main mission tomorrow. Do you have to 100% EVERYTHING like all the ravens and shit for the “true” ending? Because I’ve done a lot of it but I don’t feel like combing the maps for hours for a few extra challenges I missed, probably would lower my impression of it. 

37 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess I’m about to start the last main mission tomorrow. Do you have to 100% EVERYTHING like all the ravens and shit for the “true” ending? Because I’ve done a lot of it but I don’t feel like combing the maps for hours for a few extra challenges I missed, probably would lower my impression of it. 

Nah. You can do literally zero side quests and you'll get the one and only ending. As far as I know, there is only one side quest that gets slightly brought up at all and that is a Midgard side quest related to a specific Valkyrie.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

You can do all side quests after you beat the game. Just make sure you come back here and get the last quest

Spoiler

that puts a nail in the ending for me. 

Played 3 more hours so 6 hours in. I'm dissecting the game with chests and making sure every side quests is complete. 

I'm weird for starting over I guess, but the first half of this is special. I'll see if I get that same feeling of a let down in progression later on.