Does this seem odd how my apartment building does leasing?

Remarkableriots

It was kind of like that when I moved to AZ. For some odd reason it was cheaper to get an 11 month lease than a year long one and they wouldn't budge on giving me the 11 month rate for a year. I'm assuming with the market the way it is, they want your lease to end sooner so they can raise your rent again faster.  But yeah when I first moved here you had all kinds of lease options with typically high rent for the shorter ones. You could easily get monthly or 3 or 6 month leases. 

It's not a mistake they want to jack your rent up faster. Since it's a pretty small difference I'd just take the longest one if you don't plan on moving anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

It was kind of like that when I moved to AZ. For some odd reason it was cheaper to get an 11 month lease than a year long one and they wouldn't budge on giving me the 11 month rate for a year. I'm assuming with the market the way it is, they want your lease to end sooner so they can raise your rent again faster.  But yeah when I first moved here you had all kinds of lease options with typically high rent for the shorter ones. You could easily get monthly or 3 or 6 month leases. 

It's not a mistake they want to jack your rent up faster. Since it's a pretty small difference I'd just take the longest one if you don't plan on moving anytime soon. 

I'm guessing this is correct. I'd never seen something like this, but I suppose this is what happens in a super hot rental market.

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's very odd - in fact, I've never seen that before.

You should contact the leasing office to make sure that there isn't a mistake.

And if it's NOT a mistake, ask them if they've taken leave of their senses.

It isn't a mistake because this is the second time i had to renew since i moved here. I also thought it was weird that they don't have a year renewal and my last apartment had 13 month as an option. My rent was $994 when i first moved here.

I've seen big jumps for like months 13 and 14 if you're trying to stay past the 12 month term but that's because you're paying a premium for going month to month without signing a new lease obligating you for a whole second year. I agree with Dodger though that this is probably about doing a bigger hike with the theoretical next tenant than they're doing with you for staying longer.

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

My current studio rent is $1,044 monthly and I have to renew soon. 

The rates I can renew at are 

8 months- $1,094

9 months- $1,100

10 months- $1,110

monthly- $1,170

I'm used to rent usually getting cheaper the longer you stay instead of more expensive. 

I mean it’s like $10 and $6 difference between 8 9 and 10 months. Who gives a shit. 

44 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

$1,044 rent increased to $1,110 is just a $6-10 increase? I was paying $994 at the beginning of this year so a $116 increase in rent no big deal.

Pro Tip: acquire a life skill that will allow you to earn more compensation that will provide you with a easier life. 

One of several reasons why i've used bnbs for long-term leases before. Cheaper cost for better real estate (cheaper overall, really), and if a landlord, host or tenets/guests try any fuckery, there tends to be more accountability. Not to minimize some of the the unethical things associated w/ AirBnb - it can be problematic in many ways - but there are also sound reasons why it's used (and why so many listings tend to be stays/housing instead of travel destinations).

It actually makes sense. The longer you stay the more the landlords expenses increase over time. In commercial leases you typically have rates go up each additional year of occupancy to account for rising property taxes, insurance expenses, maintenance on common areas, etc.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:37 AM, sblfilms said:

It actually makes sense. The longer you stay the more the landlords expenses increase over time. In commercial leases you typically have rates go up each additional year of occupancy to account for rising property taxes, insurance expenses, maintenance on common areas, etc.

That makes a lot of sense for multi year leases, but the costs from a 8 month to 12 month lease from the landlord should be minimal. Plus people have to live somewhere.

59 minutes ago, Dodger said:

That makes a lot of sense for multi year leases, but the costs from a 8 month to 12 month lease from the landlord should be minimal. Plus people have to live somewhere.

The increases are also minimal :p 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I mean at a minimum OP's rent is going up 5%, and I guarantee he isn't getting a 5% COL adjustment. Not insignificant if you live paycheck to paycheck!

why would he? Is it his employers fault his rent is going up?