RoboCop: Rogue City (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - "Beautifully deploys UE5's high-end tech on consoles" (Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series technical review)

Remarkableriots

Isn’t the non premium release on Friday? I preordered it on cdkeys but haven’t checked for the code yet.

Reviews are solid for this sorta thing!

Game Information

Game Title: Robocop: Rogue City

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Nov 2, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 2, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 2, 2023)

Developer: Teyon

Publisher: Nacon

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 73 average - 67% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

CGMagazine - Andrew Farrell - 9 / 10

When looked at as a whole, RoboCop: Rogue City is a shockingly complete package with terrific gameplay and level design that offers room for player agency. Its presentation belies its budget in spots (although the actual levels and pieces of geometry are solid), but this is some of the most fun I’ve had gaming this year. Fans of first-person shooters or lite-RPGs along the likes of Fallout will likely have a blast cleaning up the streets of Detroit.

Shacknews - Lucas White - 9 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City is an argument that not only can licensing IP work well in smaller-scale games, but given the right combination of creativity and focus a more dormant IP can be especially effective. A property like Robocop does not have a clear position in pop culture right now, beyond the obvious late-80’s movie nostalgia. But the team at Teyon, with a combination of awareness and sincerity, definitely found one. I had so much fun blasting through waves of jabronis and laughing at Robocop’s earnest policing antics. In a crowded year like 2023, Rogue City is an unexpected gem.

The Outerhaven Productions - Karl Smart - 4.5 / 5

Robocop: Rogue City brings the world of Old Detroit back to life with a slightly populated slum of a city while keeping the soul of the Robocop franchise intact. Placing Robocop: Rogue City between Robocop 2 and Robocop 3 was a risky move that paid off for Teyon. If nothing else, you deserve to give Robocop: Rogue City a try in a world where nothing else from the 1980s seems to be allowed to be revived and enjoyed.

TheXboxHub - Alister Kennedy - 4.5 / 5

With a fantastic blend of 80s/90s action and storytelling, RoboCop: Rogue City raises the bar for what a RoboCop game can be, while delivering an unforgettable gaming experience in the dystopian city of Detroit.

Destructoid - Zoey Handley - 8.5 / 10

I feel like RoboCop: Rogue City is a terrific game. To use the obvious reference: I’d buy that for a dollar. I can see myself playing through its 15-20 hours again, not necessarily to check out things I may have missed, but simply to re-experience the world it presents. I know that it almost looks like something that belongs in the scrap heap, but if you’re able to look past its rough exterior and exposed seams, you might see the heart that beats underneath. Teyon did a fantastic job with the resources they had, but they’re only human.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 85 / 100

RoboCop: Rogue City is the type of game you get when a developer stays faithful and respectful to the source material without compromising their vision to suit modern sensibilities. It’s a game specifically made with for RoboCop fans by RoboCop fans, and that shows in each and every frame. Rogue City embraces the essence of what makes RoboCop great - be it the social satire, or the power fantasy, adapts it into an entertaining gameplay loop and goes to town with it.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 85 / 100

RoboCop Rogue City pays homage to its source material like no other. A faithful recreation of a beloved character and world over 30 years in the making. At its core, it’s a fantastic over-the-top 80s action shooter but dig a little deeper and you’ll find a dark, dystopian tale of man and machine more relevant today than ever.

ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 8.5 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City is an absolute gem of a game. While not as polished as a AAA title, it still manages to look great in motion and function just as well. The bugs I found were minimum and usually happened when I killed an enemy near a guardrail, for some reason they are all programmed to fall over no matter how far away from the rail they may be. But I never ran into any real issues here, Rogue City is as solid as Robocop himself. I would be remiss if I didn’t shoutout the excellent audio in Rogue City, from the excellent Peter Weller reprising his role as Alex Murphy/Robocop to the inclusion of an EXCELLENT piano version of the classic movie theme if you are a fan of Robocop, Rogue City has been made for you. Playing Rogue City, I couldn’t help but think that Teyon has done for Robocop what Rocksteady did for Batman. They managed to highlight another side of the character in the interactive space by allowing players to really embody the ‘cop’ part of Robocop.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 8.4 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is the best video game dedicated to Verhoeven's character, and that alone might be enough of a recommendation for a slice of the old-timers. It is satisfying and brutal, a video game as gory and simple as those of yesteryear, and this is its trump card. What revolves around the shoot-outs is unfortunately not as exciting, but overall it remains a highly recommended game for fans of the film.

GBAtemp - Ben Sellwood - 8.2 / 10

I really like this game, but it could be so much better with a little more polish. I have no doubt that RoboCop fans will have an absolute blast with this game, and Teyon has really excelled in bringing fresh but fitting content to Old Detroit for us to stomp and blast through.

Gamer Guides - Chris Moyse - 82 / 100

As chaotic as it is repetitive; as satirical as it is hilarious; as vulgar as it is authentic, RoboCop: Rogue City is one of the most sincere licensed games in history. Teyon deftly replicates the series’ explicit satire and retrofuturistic style in a release that, much like its inspiration, is smarter than it initially appears, and has more heart than its violence implies. You now have 15 seconds to go buy.

Impulsegamer - Nathan Misa - 4.1 / 5

An immersive first-person shooter and RPG hybrid experience faithful to the original films while standing on its own two (robotic) feet.

Attack of the Fanboy - Davi Braid - 4 / 5

Despite a few things that might feel off, Robocop: Rogue City is likely the closest we'll ever get to the original movie. Like Robocop, the game has a few issues but ultimately gets the job done.

Digital Chumps - Ben Sheene - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a gritty and fascinatingly faithful rendition of the 1987 Verhoeven film. It shirks trends of most modern-day shooters to deliver weighty combat in an imperfect, yet wholly entertaining, package.

Digital Spy - Joe Draper - 4 / 5

RoboCop: Rogue City is a blast to play for long-time fans of the franchise and goes above and beyond to respect its source material. It won't win any awards for being ground-breaking, but Peter Weller offering his voice to a story that's arguably the best use of the RoboCop name since the original film makes this a worthwhile treat for those who want to be transported back to their childhood.

Enternity.gr - Hektor Apostolopoulos - Greek - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a complete and fun video game experience and certainly one of the most entertaining trips to the good old days.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4 / 5

In essence, while “Robocop: Rogue City” boasts solid gameplay mechanics and a faithful adaptation of its source material, it could benefit from more innovative storytelling and refined mission design. Regardless, it’s a thrilling ride that will undoubtedly resonate with franchise fans.

GameCrate - Paul Semel - 8 / 10

There's just something satisfying about being the tank-like spawn of Dirty Harry and The Terminator as you methodically plow your way through near-future Detroit's criminal underbelly, splattering anyone and everyone who dares to dent you. Like the movies — well, the first two — this is just big dumb fun.

GameGrin - Andrew Duncan - 8 / 10

There are some issues with the game, but they certainly don't hamper the fun of smashing through the walls of Detroit.

GameLuster - Nairon Santos de Morais - 8 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City scores with some of the most fun gameplay I've come across this year, and sometimes that's all you need to be a great game.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

Fans of RoboCop are likely to love Rogue City, though it’s also likely to prove appealing to those who simply like shooting up bad guys with reckless abandon. Dealing out violent justice as RoboCop rarely struggles to put a smile on your face – even if, at times, it threatens to become a tad repetitive. Throw in some light investigation and some moments of humour, and you have a game that makes effective use of a much-loved IP.

GamingBolt - Chris Hinton - 8 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City, like Terminator: Resistance before it, aims to deliver a fan-crafted experience, and it succeeds on nearly every level. With the understanding that this title comes from a smaller studio with limitations in the AA space, it's easy to forgive the lack of polish in certain areas such as facial animations. Otherwise, Rogue City is a thrilling experience through and through.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 80 / 100

Just like RoboCop himself, Rogue City is only human, but it's still pretty great. With an intriguing narrative and stellar side missions, exploring Old Detroit is a real treat. Gunplay feels heavy, and engaging your friends and opponents with words as well as bullets is satisfying. In a year filled with blockbusters, this is a cult classic.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 4 / 5

RoboCop: Rogue City is easily the best RoboCop game to date.

Hey Poor Player - Francis DiPersio - 4 / 5

More than just a cynical cash-in, RoboCop: Rogue City does an excellent job bucking the trend of mediocre movie tie-ins to give fans something spectacular. It’s a bloody and visceral love letter to 80s action herodom that leans hard into its source material and even builds upon themes only touched upon in the films. Add a satisfying amount of content in the form of a robust skill tree and a wealth of side missions, and you have a game that no RoboCop fan should miss.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Murat Oktay - Turkish - 80 / 100

We wonder why the game with a brand new story set between Robocop 2 and 3 was not released as a film. We look at what Alex Murphy's action-packed story has to offer.

Multiplayer First - Paulmichael Contreras - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a complete, single-player game, with no DLC currently in sight. Its rendition of Detroit, satire, gory violence, witty and occasionally campy writing and voice acting, all feel ripped straight out of the original movie, while giving us a standalone story that you’ll likely want to see through to its conclusion. Rogue City is a fun interpretation of a 1980’s franchise which has laid dormant since 2014. It’s not perfect, and is a bit rough around the edges, but if you want to feel like the resurrected police officer, this is your best bet. A good-length campaign with solid voice acting and a genuinely entertaining story all add up to a violent, cinematic first-person shooter that doesn’t overstay its welcome. Fans of the original will get a kick out of RoboCop: Rogue City and should pick it up this holiday season.

Niche Gamer - Fingal Belmont - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a methodical FPS with some lite roleplaying and adventure game elements. It’s sardonic with a satirical scenario and has very obscure fan service that only die-hard RoboCop fans would catch. Gamers who can accept this are going to have an enormously fun time.

Oyungezer Online - M.İhsan Tatari - Turkish - 8 / 10

Rogue City is not only the best RoboCop game ever made, but also one of the best (titanium-grade) movie adaptations ever made.

PC Invasion - Anthony Yates - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City has its fair share of faults, but the good far outweighs the bad. The visceral combat made gunfights so enjoyable, I looked forward to them even after 10+ hours. It's not a perfect game, but it's entertaining from start to finish, and if you're a fan of the franchise, it's a must-play.

PCMag - Pantelis Daskalelos - 4 / 5

It may lack a bit of gloss in the visuals, but it captures 100% the feeling of the first film, spreading smiles to RoboCop fans.

Pure Dead Gaming - Couchy - 8 / 10

I've relished my time with the game and hope more people will give it a chance in the coming months. It has some great visuals and fun gameplay and never takes itself too seriously; I hope we see more games like this in 2024. If you missed this one release, pick it up if you see it on sale; just don't expect to find it for a dollar.

Rectify Gaming - Michael Merchant - 8 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City is a love letter to the films and one of the best movie-to-game adaptations I can think of. It is definitely worth exploring at full price if you are a fan of the genre and the films.

Screen Rant - Leo Faierman - 4 / 5

It's a matter of taking that memorable original score, the over-the-top firefights, the thoughtful questlines, and the raw retro/pseudo-90s shtick that ultimately leaves less residual concern over a clumsy facial animation or a tedious boss here and there. Every chapter of RoboCop: Rogue City gives players something interesting to do, an unexpected encounter to resolve, or a sly reference to decipher. The result is a great game that accomplishes everything an adaptation could wish for, breathing new life into its source material and setting a new high bar for the franchise.

Siliconera - Cody Perez - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City may not do anything extraordinary, but it doesn't have to. It takes the RoboCop license, makes me care about it, and provides a solid Deus Ex-like RPG take on Detroit.

Sirus Gaming - Erickson Melchor - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is the sequel to RoboCop 2 we wish we had. The developer’s adherence to the source material is to be commended. Never did I think that the game was something only fans could enjoy. The action is thrilling while the side quests serve as a nice distraction from non-stop shooting. Sadly, minor performance issues and visual bugs hinder this title from ascending the ranks even further. There’s also the developer’s conscious choice of reusing characters for background characters. But despite the shortcomings, Rogue City is a game I highly recommend as it goes above and beyond the call of duty.

TechRaptor - Giaco Furino - 8 / 10

While RoboCop: Rogue City has fun and engaging combat, where the game truly shines is in its interactivity between characters and detective work.

The Angry Joe Show - Joe Vargas - 8 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

The Jimquisition - James Stephanie Sterling - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City may not boast the high production quality of a top level “AAA” videogame, but it’s more fun and shows more sincerity than most of them put together. What it lacks in polish it more than makes up for in its provision of fuss-free action with immensely satisfying weaponry alongside the occasional glimmer of witty writing. It’s nowhere near as beautifully satirical as the film from which it sprung, but it’s still made with clear love for the original, as well as a ton of sincerity.

Thumb Culture - 4 / 5

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with RoboCop: Rogue City. Sure, it doesn’t really innovate on the genre and the gunplay feels, I dunno a little dated. But it’s also exactly what I want to see more of. Games like Cyberpunk have that anti-corporate one-man army vibe that is present here, but it just doesn’t have the same feel. RoboCop: Rogue City is the best the 80’s had to offer in a modern-day packaging. Fantastical over-the-top violence and overtly cheesy one-liners, with polish. Brilliant.

Use a Potion - 8 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City keeps things simple, but the chaotically fun action and authentic use of the source material ensure players will have a good time roaming the streets of Detroit as the iconic law-abiding hero. I never stopped enjoying unloading lead into enemies, throwing them through windows, and causing destruction throughout the environment, whilst the engaging side quests add a neat twist to the formula where your actions will determine how others view you. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing you wouldn’t have seen before, but it was deeper than I expected.

The game is far from perfect, whether that’s with the dumb enemy AI, the lack of originality, and its repetitive nature, but it still makes for a really good time. I’m probably being half a point generous in my scoring here, but given that this is best it has felt to be Robocop in a video game, I think it deserves that bit of extra praise.

VG247 - Jim Trinca - 4 / 5

The only thing malfunctioning around here is the economics of game production. And from that struggle, under circumstances that echo those of the original movie’s troubled production, a brilliant piece of work emerges, that somehow nails every part of the brief and finally proves that Robocop can inspire worthy sequels. And if it didn't look a bit ropey sometimes, I doubt it would feel like Robocop: a stop-motion ED-209 falling down some stairs is goofy as hell, after all, but none of the CGI perfect ED-209s in the 2014 remake ever did anything goofy, and it was crap. So. Y'know.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5

RoboCop: Rogue City feels outdated at its core, but this actually works in its favour. With no pretensions that it's offering something revolutionary, the game focuses on delivering big dumb action scenes interspersed with entertaining detective work. It has an engaging story and well-written dialogue, all wrapped in a package that shows clear love for the source material.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 4 / 5

RoboCop: Rogue City is a faithful interpretation of the film that'll make you feel like a badass for cleaning up the streets of Detroit.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 8 / 10

Whenever you are thrown into one of its shooting sections, it is easily one of the best first-person shooters I’ve played in a long, long time, as well as an impressive showcase of what smaller studios can do with Unreal Engine 5’s tools. It’s just that impressive. Whenever you’re told to perform street patrolling or detective work, it’s still a decent, time, but you’ll wish you’d be thrown into another action-heavy set piece instead. Nevertheless, despite some pacing issues and an occasional lack of focus, I’m very impressed with what Teyon was able to achieve.

WhatIfGaming - Rizwan Anwer - 8 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a fantastic title that does the IP justice. Being able to play as the titular character feels satisfying he's essentially a walking tank with weight behind every punch and throw. The RPG elements not only let you customize RoboCop's abilities but provide some narrative decision-making opportunities as well. Fighting for a crime-ridden Detroit with its fantastic visuals consistent with fims' art direction further helps with the fantasy, and this is definitely a must-play for fans of the forgotten character.

Windows Central - Alexander Cope - 4 / 5

Despite performance issues, stiff animations, and a general lack of real difficulty, RoboCop: Rogue City succeeds at being a faithful adaptation of the movies. It's packed with fun action sequences and amusing dialogue with an entertaining storyline that makes you feel like you have stepped into his world. It's a must-buy for RoboCop fans while being a decent weekend romp for casual FPS fans.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 7.8 / 10

For what it’s worth, RoboCop: Rogue City takes no prisoners when it comes to translating the old action movies onto modern gaming platforms, matching the violence with the kind of attention to detail that makes us believe in the existence of this crime-riddled future Detroit. Being RoboCop is a fantasy that comes to life in all the best ways, delicately balancing the combat-heavy sequences with an interesting levity that comes from more routine police work. While it may lack the cutting edge when it comes to visuals and technical polish, this is still a machine that will get the job done, and that is the perfect encapsulation of RoboCop as a whole.

3DNews - Денис Щенников - Russian - 7.5 / 10

Half blockbuster, half indie, all great shooter.

But Why Tho? - Jason Flatt - 7.5 / 10

RoboCop Rogue City’s level of emersion is impressive, and the mechanics like crouching that it removes from the modern FPS formula don’t feel missed in the one-man-army, high-octane firefights that make up the core of the game.

Game Informer - Marcus Stewart - 7.5 / 10

Hopefully, updates will stamp out these issues because RoboCop: Rogue City provides a respectable adventure that feels like a long-lost shooter of the early 2010s in mostly good ways. Admittedly, the license carries the game through its rougher patches; if you’re not a RoboCop fan, the adventure may feel dated or buggy compared to other shooters. But as a B-tier love letter to the tin man in blue, Rogue City is a nice return to the limelight for Alex Murphy.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 7.5 / 10

Bloody and crass, but also occasionally very human, Robocop: Rogue City is the most faithful adaptation of the movie universe we've ever had.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 75 / 100

RoboCop: Rogue City has a number of problems that consist more of a general lack of technical polish and the use of a dated overall game structure. Despite this, it respectfully delivers a good setting for a classic character, respecting the original material and with good doses of fun.

GAMES.CH - Josef Erl - German - 74%

"RoboCop: Rogue City" looks surprisingly good and can keep up with current triple-A productions in terms of level design. However, there are deductions for the mostly handsome, but very wooden animated character models. In addition, there are unsightly performance and sound problems in the cutscenes. Teyon keeps the story almost a little too close to the film templates, stages it a bit sluggishly and stubbornly marches on well-trodden paths. The gameplay, on the other hand, is fun. The mix of detective role-playing and shooting action motivates until the end thanks to varied levels and decent variety of enemies, even if it lacks a bit of depth overall. A few more skills and more exciting consequences in the dialogue decisions wouldn't have hurt either.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 73 / 100

It's a far cry from being the shooter of the year, but it has a nostalgic "I don't know what" that makes you want to play, especially if you freaked out with the uninhibited action of the movies.

GamePro - Kai Schmidt - German - 72 / 100

RoboCop: Rogue City impresses with tons of fan service, but is held back by half-baked technology.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 70 / 100

RoboCop: Rogue City stands as a sturdy shooter with a decent story and gameplay. With more careful balancing, it had the potential to be significantly better.

Capsule Computers - Admir Brkic - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City offers engaging story, immersive gameplay and a lot of side content that's unfortunately overshadowed by bad optimization and occasional stutters.

DarkZero - Dominic Sheard - 7 / 10

When it comes down to it, RoboCop: Rogue City is aimed at fans of RoboCop. Teyon has made a game that does a great job of capturing the films and their visuals and sound, along with bringing a superb representation of what playing RoboCop would be like.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 7 / 10

With RoboCop: Rogue City, does the developer know how to take the game to identical heights as the film series? Unfortunately not. It is clear that they are still on the upward trend. This is a first person shooter where you literally and figuratively go back in time. No understandable class structure, just shooting. It is of course possible to upgrade your gun and choose skills for RoboCop, but the essence is rough shooting and the game does that well. It is a shame that other elements are less well developed, such as the poor AI of the opponents. Major missed opportunities are also the detective work, which now only consists of scanning your environment, and the minimal consequences of your choices during the story.

Expansive - Tom Hynes - 3.5 / 5

Robocop: Rogue City is one of this year’s biggest and best surprises. It’s not always perfect and things are scaled back a bit too much in some cases, but the witty quips, all-out gun fights, variety in mechanics and objectives, and surprising human element of the story, once again acted by the brilliant Peter Weller, really wins you over again and again. This game actually makes you feel like Robocop in the best possible way by showing great respect to both player and license, resulting in not only the best Robocop game since the original but a brilliant throwback to the golden era of FPS.

FandomWire - Daniel Boyd - 7 / 10

Overall, I am just happy that we finally have a worthy sequel to that iconic 1987 movie that I fell in love with as a kid. For all of its faults, Robocop: Rogue City is fun to play and feels faithful to the source material it is adapting. As a lifelong Robocop fan, there isn’t really much more that I could ask for.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a great example of a strong, if a little unremarkable game that uses all its potential and budget to build a great atmosphere and stand proud as the best RoboCop game ever made.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a methodical shooter that makes you feel like Old Detroit's greatest crime fighter, but it errs when its devotion to authenticity wanes.

Gameblog - Camille Allard - French - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City stands out as the most accomplished video game adaptation of this iconic action hero from the 80s. The game manages to captivate fans with its atmosphere and thrills.

Gamefa - mohammad oliaei - Persian - 7 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City delivers an entertaining experience at the end of the day, but don't expect anything special or creative. it's one of those action games with fun gunplay and poor story that will entertain you a few hours, but beyond that, there's nothing more to it.

Gamepur - Alec Mullins - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City isn’t perfect. I never felt like the action found its legs, but the sleek streets of Detroit entranced me with its incredible cast of characters and stories that are infused with all of the charm of Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner’s over-the-top world.

Some key mistakes get in the way of the game’s total package potential. However, it still delivers an enticing story, fantastic visuals, and a surprisingly well-realized version of Old Detroit. Playing Rogue City made me nostalgic for a time in my life when the stakes were lower, movies were sillier, and the idea of RoboCops didn’t feel like an inevitability.

IGN - Justin Koreis - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a pitch-perfect throwback to the action movies of the ‘80s. It’s over-the-top violence with charm, largely well put together but rough on the edges. Most importantly, it's a fun way to spend time in a beloved fictional universe that doesn’t overstay its welcome. Blasting at goons as an unstoppable walking machine remains as extremely entertaining as it seemed on the big screen, thanks in part to an impressive commitment to capturing the look and feel of the original film. Mixing in elements like routine police work and side quests does a great job changing the pace, too. Even if it’s not the best example of visual fidelity, and prone to some bugs along the way, that love of RoboCop shines through. This is a solid B movie of a video game, which is exactly what the source material demands.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is an old school shooter that aims primarily to entertain fans of the franchise, who will have the chance to fight crime in the role of the robotic vigilante. Teyon's new project is good enough to provide more than a dozen hours of fun, between gunfights and investigations to solve. Despite the use of Unreal Engine 5, the visual experience of RoboCop: Rogue City is not the best although the direct involvement of Peter Weller.

Invision Community - Aidan Bates - 7 / 10

RoboCop Rogue City is a nice nostalgia hit to yesteryear but focuses too much on the classic and not the modern to make it entertaining enough. At £45 it could be worth the price, but with such a short runtime and unappealing replays, you might not get your money to an hour’s worth. There’s room for expansion and even DLCs, but I’d suggest you wait for more patches to fix the stability issues.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 7 / 10

Studio Teyon have shown that they understand the RoboCop brand and have delivered a game that fits in well with the established world. They've also given us what may be our last chance to enjoy Peter Weller in this iconic role. The action is fun, the shooting is probably the best this year, the upgrading and leveling makes sense, and overall it works well as a game, even if there are a number of hiccups. This game is more than the sum of its parts, though, and for fans it's something they've been waiting for for years.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City plays and feels like a finely tuned AA game. It is about as close as a game can get to translating the famous cyborg cop to video games, thanks to the mixture of great RPG features, 80's cheesy story tropes, and unique detective mechanics. While there are issues such as visual bugs and slow traversal in some areas, they don't outshine the positives that make the game something that fans of the original films and newcomers should absolutely dive into.

TheGamer - George Foster - 3.5 / 5

Even if Rogue City had started to rust a little towards the end of its lengthy campaign, its surprisingly in-depth shooting and roleplaying mechanics, love of the source material, and keen understanding of what makes RoboCop so great in the first place has made it one of the biggest surprises of 2023 for me. In a year full of absolute bangers, make sure you spend some time in Detroit.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City will certainly not be the biggest work in this dense 2023, but it is still an unexpected surprise. Teyon comes from a very problematic product like Terminator Resistance, and we certainly would not have expected such a leap forward in such a short time. The team was able to take the essence of RoboCop and recreate it to video game, even experimenting with hybrid RPG mechanics that were not exactly functional, but at least commendable for their commitment to trying to do something different.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 7 / 10

Campy and overbearing with callbacks and references, RoboCop: Rogue City can make even the most die-hard fan of the series roll their eyes a few times. Despite that and a criminally uninteresting villain, the game presents a truly unique take on the FPS shooter and is faithful (sometimes to a fault) to its source material. You will truly feel like RoboCop in this game.

VideoGamer - Alex Raisbeck - 7 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City is a game dripping with love and appreciation of the source material, made by RoboCop fans, for RoboCop fans. But frustrating late game combat and clumsily resolved story beats raise questions of whether it's for everyone else, too.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 7 / 10

If you take it on its own merits, Robocop: Rogue City isn't exactly a great experience. The combat is simplistic, the mechanics are slapdash, and you spend as much time finding someone's lost towel as you do shooting bad guys. Despite all of that, it's oddly compelling. It's ambitious and charming enough that if you're a fan of Robocop, you'll probably find it appealing to take a trip in his robo-boots. I can't imagine it holding much appeal for anyone who isn't excited for the chance to revisit the iconic locations of the franchise, but die-hard fans will probably revel in it.

XGN.nl - Stefan Stuursma - Dutch - 7 / 10

RoboCop is a passionate and faithful addition to the franchise, but it's not without its flaws. While the gunplay gives you plenty of customization and is a whole lot of fun, the rest of the game lacks a bit on the content side. It is lacking some depth in its conversations, story telling and the game world also feels a bit empty from time to time. That, and the technical imperfections that are present during gameplay, prevent the game from being that true nostalgic banger.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City is a 7, but it’s a really fun 7.  It knows what it is, and it sticks to that no matter what.  The writing isn’t the best, and some of the characters look straight out of a $3 steam simulator title.  Still I had a ton of fun beating this one over the course of a day and a half so if you love the series it’s well worth checking out.

eXputer - Asad Ahmed - 3.5 / 5

RoboCop: Rogue City successfully captures the essence of the iconic film franchise, offering a faithful and entertaining experience for all.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 6.9 / 10

It could have been a by-the-books license shooter, an easy cash-grab for older players fans of RoboCop. But Rogue City is otherwise: it's not perfect by any means, and in fact there are a lot of much better choices on all of the platforms it lands on, but it's still a work of love from a small studio with a small budget.

PC Gamer - Noah Smith - 65 / 100

Robocop: Rogue City's fantastic shootouts are held back by a dull narrative and bloated pacing.

PlayStation Universe - Sebastian Hawden - 6.5 / 10

While RoboCop does have some fun moments and enjoyable gameplay, it is, on the whole, a shallow, repetitive experience. Living the power-fantasy of being RoboCop does not save it from glitchy, rudimentary gameplay and a story that is too similar to the movies. If you love RoboCop like me, you may find something here to enjoy, otherwise, look elsewhere for your gaming goodness.

BaziCenter - Mohammad Talebian - Persian - 6 / 10

Despite being the best game in the RoboCop universe, the fun and excitement are soon shadowed by frustration as broken shooting mechanisms and dull overall gameplay experience bite in.

Eurogamer - Rick Lane - 3 / 5

Teyon blends bloody linear shootouts with light open world action for an entertaining, if unadventurous, RoboCop experience.

GGRecon - Morgan Truder - 3 / 5

From the moment you fire up Robocop: Rogue City and see his cruiser’s bumper scrape up the ramp, it is clear who the game is for - if you’re a fan of the 1980s classic you’re in for a treat. Otherwise, the poor performance and uninspired gameplay make it hard to recommend the game to someone who isn’t already a fan of OCP's finest. One thing you can’t take away from Teyon is they have delivered a true-to-the-film Robocop experience, but whether you'd buy that for a dollar is up to you.

Push Square - Khayl Adam - 6 / 10

RoboCop: Rogue City does an admirable job of bringing the gritty universe of the films to life and of capturing the feeling of playing as the armoured enforcer himself. However, there are only so many cyberpunk lowlifes one can blast to bits before the repetition sets in.

COGconnected - Rhett Waselenchuk - 59 / 100

If you’re a diehard fan of the RoboCop franchise, you may find merit in RoboCop: Rogue City. Regardless of my disappointment with it, I can’t deny that it’s the best RoboCop game we’ve seen. Just keep in mind that isn’t exactly saying much. A weak narrative, archaic character models, generally horrific voice acting, and a slew of technical issues hold Rogue City back from being the game I desperately wanted it to be. Admittedly, shootouts can be fun, but I’m not convinced that alone saves what otherwise feels like a letdown. Much like RoboCop’s enemies, approach with caution.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 58 / 100

RoboCop: Rogue City faithfully recreates the classic character, but gives him nothing to work with. The narrative is dull, presentation is poor, and too many lackluster mechanics are shoehorned in. With unsatisfying action, this title is an empty metal shell of a game.

GamesRadar+ - Jon Bailes - 2.5 / 5

Robocop: Rogue City reflects its protagonist's qualities. It's well-built and robust, a few glitches aside, and capable of triggering explosive action. Yet it's also mechanical in its design, its dialogue slow and plodding, and limited in its forms of interaction. Short on engaging mission design and the film's punchy satire, Detroit's finest needs better backup to enliven this drawn out adventure.

Slant Magazine - Steven Scaife - 2.5 / 5

But all that feels incongruent with the game’s source material. Perhaps it’s a bit naïve to hope that any social commentary can survive decades of franchising, but Rogue City’s handling of RoboCop leaves hardly a trace of his origins as a commentary on police violence and militarization. All the time you spend clomping around the faithfully rendered interior of the police station is in service of selling the cops as a force for good, with RoboCop’s actions emphatically meant to make the world a better place. There’s even a dialogue option to call the police a “family,” now totally decoupled from standard sci-fi corporate malfeasance. Rogue City has clearly put a lot of thought and effort into replicating the world of this character, but it does so within a mechanical and narrative framework that never quite fits.

The Nerd Stash - Patrick Armstrong - 4.5 / 10

If you’re a diehard fan of the franchise, want to chuck some bad guys off of buildings, and can ignore the game’s glaring issues, RoboCop: Rogue City may be a fun way to kill a weekend or two.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 2 / 5

But there’s absolutely nothing in Rogue City you haven’t seen before, done better elsewhere.

Eurogamer.pt - Jorge Salgado - Portuguese - 2 / 5

In conclusion, RoboCop: Rogue City is essentially a game for fans: if you're not into the "lore", I don't think the gameplay is enough to win you over when there are many other games with higher quality on the market.

TheSixthAxis - Adrian Burrows - 4 / 10

Robocop: Rogue City certainly looks the part, but beware of this gleaming, shiny, polished graphical exterior; it hides mechanical insides that are rust-riddled and broken. Dead or alive, this game definitely shouldn't be coming with you.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

RoboCop: Rogue City is a delightful blend of nostalgia, action, and engaging storytelling. While it may have minor flaws, it's a must-play for franchise fans and gamers looking for a fun, action-packed experience.

Echo Boomer - João Canelo - Portuguese - Essential

Apesar dos seus problemas de desempenho e de alguma falta de polimento, Robocop: Rogue City é uma delícia para os fãs e um bom jogo de ação para quem procura apenas uma experiência violenta e envolta em humor negro.

Gaming Age - Stan Yeung - B+

RoboCop: Rogue City managed to be one giant leap in the right direction for a property that could never find a proper footing in the video game space. It worked extremely well as a bridge to the 2nd and 3rd films and managed to provide an action packed romp for someone who is looking for your usual power fantasy experience.

PowerUp! - Jam Walker - Loved

Teyon set out to make a damn authentic and utterly enjoyable RoboCop game to a reasonable scale and budget and it absolutely delivered. I can’t honestly say that it’s one of the best games of the year, but it might truly be the one that I’ve had the most fun with from beginning to end.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Brendan Caldwell - Unscored

A first-person shooter that is clunky by design.

Skill Up - Ralph Panebianco - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to RoboCop: Rogue City (PC/Xbox Series/PS5, September 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted
50 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Wow, what an incredible bonus.

Is that near the top of the dumbest and worst modern trends with games now?   Seems to happen with tons of recent releases.  And most games are practically broken on day one anyway; I can't imagine what they're like days or weeks before the official release date.

Yeah it’s not great, but I see it happening more and more and expect it to be more common than not for most AAA for at least a bit. 

17 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Sounds like a wait for a sale kind of game. I'll check it out at some point, just because I'm old enough that I loved the movie as a kid. 

I forget if you have a decent pc or not? It’s $33 on cdkeys still, which kind of is a good price already for some 7/10 AA action. Actually I liked how one review says “It’s a 7, but it’s a really fun 7” that’s what I’m looking for with something like this. Might be this years Evil West (Dead Island 2 is too good to be that).

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I forget if you have a decent pc or not? It’s $33 on cdkeys still, which kind of is a good price already for some 7/10 AA action. Actually I liked how one review says “It’s a 7, but it’s a really fun 7” that’s what I’m looking for with something like this. Might be this years Evil West (Dead Island 2 is too good to be that).

I'm console only for now, Probably won't be able to afford a top tier gaming PC anytime soon sadly. Glad to hear it sounds like a good time. I'll keep an eye out for a sale on console and pick it up then. 

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to RoboCop: Rogue City (PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Barely played it yet but a couple notes:

Dlss3 frame gen is in! As is DLAA! It’s UE5 so expensive and DLAA might not be the best way to play it atm, but glad to see it always.

Bad news: No hdr?! Again in UE5! Does anyone know if there is something going on with that? Remnant 2, Immortals, Layers of Fear, Robocop..all no hdr. Not acceptable in 2023 imo. I’ll inject it with reshade or special k but come on.

I kept playing a little more and ahhh yeah the gunplay is so good and that headshot splatter and the particles and destruction everywhere. And I’m always offensive in how I play games, and I typically don’t enjoy defense as much, and this is ALL offense. This is just going to be a lot of fun. 

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Good news: Combat is fun and brutal and this is for all those 360era Starbreeze fans!

Myself, and a few of you are going to really enjoy this! I think @skillzdadirecta will like it a lot. I’m pretty hype about AA this gen.

Back to Alan Wake 2 for now but probably firing this off soon after that.

I'm sure I'll like it but I'm gonna wait and grab it cheap. I bought Terminator Resistance cheap last year and nevr got back to that one either and that was pretty good too. Like a Fallout-lite.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm sure I'll like it but I'm gonna wait and grab it cheap. I bought Terminator Resistance cheap last year and nevr got back to that one either and that was pretty good too. Like a Fallout-lite.

I played a bit of that..and kinda want to get back to it some day. But this does seem quite superior for what it’s worth! It’s going to be like $20 in a sale this winter I bet lol so you won’t have to wait long! 

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

@ShreddieMercury what platform do you want the game on btw?

You are too kind!  I actually picked it up on Xbox yesterday, budget be damned!  You are very generous to offer, so glad that you're enjoying it.  I'm going to jump into this right after Alan Wake, which I'm nearing the end of.  Can't wait.

• Hype 2

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

You are too kind!  I actually picked it up on Xbox yesterday, budget be damned!  You are very generous to offer, so glad that you're enjoying it.  I'm going to jump into this right after Alan Wake, which I'm nearing the end of.  Can't wait.

Nice! Yeah that is my plan too, this seems awesome!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Does it feel better than it looks to play? I saw some videos and the FPS aiming looked clunky. Like it was the person’s first FPS game or the game controlled like a 90s console FPS.

Probably yes (i didn’t watch a lot to compare) it’s very arcadey/crunchy/visceral how the gunfights play out. I can see it boring to watch since you are a tank and you don’t dodge. But that it’s thing you are a fucking violent tank killing machine going through these areas shooting stereotypical 80s thugs.

• Thanks 1

I played the demo for a while.

For me the gameplay is only satisfying in the sense that you’re Robocop and you’re comically blowing people away as they explode into gigantic puddles of gibs.  Enemies will basically stand there and wait for you to line up a shot.  It’s kind of mindlessly fun for a bit but I imagine it would get real stale real fast.  

• True 1

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I played the demo for a while.

For me the gameplay is only satisfying in the sense that you’re Robocop and you’re comically blowing people away as they explode into gigantic puddles of gibs.  Enemies will basically stand there and wait for you to line up a shot.  It’s kind of mindlessly fun for a bit but I imagine it would get real stale real fast.  

I won’t play much more until I beat AW2 but while this is true, I believe the game expanding beyond just killing enemy’s, exploring Detroit in a Deus Ex HR sorta way is what may help keep the gameplay from getting stale as quick as it could

• True 1

OK, I just logged 3 hours and I love it! Its clearly a labor of love on a budget. Graphics are pretty good, but animations are canned so don't expect TLOU cut scenes. Its very much an xbox 360 style Action RPG light. A guilty pleasure from a by gone age. The game consists of a series of hub areas where you can pursue the main plot or pick up side quests. There is a skill tree with new combat, dialog, and investigation perks that can add to how you approach cases. I was wondering how they would avoid making this an endless corridor shooter and the answers is that this game is like Batman, if Batman were a cop and a tank. Combat is weighty but smooth. I'll definitly be logging some time with this one!

• Like 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hype 1

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Starbreeze did this? I LOVED their games!

Oh no sorry didn’t mean imply they actually made this, that studio is a husk of itself now working on Payday and some other upcoming multiplayer thing. But this game just feels to me like something The Darkness.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, jaethos said:

The Starbreeze from The Darkness is now Machine Games, more or less.

I am very interested in this game, but it will have to wait for a sale, just because I have too many other games I'm trying to get through already.

Oh huh, didn’t realize that. Well, maybe that bodes well for Indiana Jones! I did like Wolfenstein TNC a lot.

Played a bit more tonight on my ally here in my hotel. This game is COZY. It has a lot of humor and I love the conversations in this. There’s some cool abilities to unlock I see in the skill tree too. Just got dash and slow motion, I want to get the ricochet shots to hit enemy’s behind cover next.

Game looks great even on medium settings at 600p fsr2 to 720p. I’m surprised actually that the ally holds above 30fps in some of these shootouts with all the destruction, though there is some stutter that is not there on my desktop. 

This is great for fans of virtual tourism as there are tons of details everywhere in the locations. Really impressive the amount of unique assets for an AA.

The balance of exploring/conversation and arcadey brutal combat really works for me. I did a couple side quests that had pretty good content too, not fetch quest type stuff. And then others are just silly.

• Halal 1

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Here's the full Digital Foundry tech review of Robocop: Rogue City on PS5, Xbox Series X and Series S. This is one of t…

Enter RoboCop: Rogue City. This first-person shooter from Polish developer Teyon packs the full suite of UE5 features - including Lumen GI and reflections, virtual shadow maps, and Nanite geometry - while targeting 60fps on console platforms as well. Initial impressions are positive, but how do the various techniques come together to produce high-quality final imagery - and do these features scale gracefully to home consoles, from PS5 and Series X to the lower-powered Series S?

I think it's fair to say that Rogue City packs very impressive visuals, and even ranks as one of the strongest showcases for real-time rendering this generation. To understand it properly, I think it's worth highlighting each implementation of the key UE5 technologies that it uses so well.

The technology really is the star of the show here. I personally haven't been all that impressed by early UE5 efforts, outside of Epic's excellent Matrix Awakens demo and the current-gen Fortnite refurbishment. Third-party UE5 games have typically used only a small fraction of the UE5 featureset or have delivered clearly flawed renditions of keystone UE5 features like Lumen GI. RoboCop uses the whole UE5 palette, and deploys the tech with a degree of finesse and care that we haven't seen outside of Epic thus far. It's a little odd to see a small developer deliver such a technically accomplished UE5 title, but that's the situation here.

With a dearth of heavy-hitter UE5 games that demonstrate what the tech can do with large teams and budgets, this is probably the next best thing. RoboCop's performance issues are a serious concern - but it's not that badly behaved when you consider the infancy of the technology, and the difficulty other developers have had wrangling UE5 into decent shape on console platforms. Frame-rates in the performance mode particularly aren't ideal, but that seems to be a common issue with early UE5 projects this generation - and the quality mode on PS5 and Series X does at least mostly run without issue, though the motion blur bug should be addressed.

RoboCop is a very graphically impressive effort, and a visual highlight of this console generation so far. For those who want a glimpse of future graphics tech, it's a worthwhile experience.

• Hype 1