Nextlander - a new podcast/streaming project from Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, and Alex Navarro

• 2 weeks later...

So I said this in the other thread:

On 5/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I feel like the format of Giant Bomb that was innovative at the time, like let's just play the games and let people watch (But who would watch video games WTF right @Commissar SFLUFAN and @best3444?) and they could get an idea of the game without having written a word. But when last year happened the format felt somewhat archaic especially in the time of Twitch. I mean these guys have a set schedule and then someone else takes over and I just thought why don't all of them do something? And weekends rolled around and they would not have any content because it's like a 9-5 job.

It's interesting when Abby left because she immediately set up her own twitch stream, and I'm not sure how well she's done for herself but 14k followers is nothing to scoff at. I'm sure she's doing well for herself, a more flexible schedule and can go longer than any giant bomb content goes for.

And if you listen to the latest episode (Episode 3) it was like a crash course for them in what Twitch is and provides and it's almost in line with what I said a couple of months ago. It's like by being on their own site they had no idea of how things are outside of the site.

Have any of you been watching much of their content? With summer here I havent been watching a lot of game stuff online, plus I really don't go to Twitch for much to begin with. Has their stuff been any good? Does it just feel like you're watching a Giantbomb stream? I listen to their podcasts while working so that's been the extent of my Nextlander content. 

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

Have any of you been watching much of their content? With summer here I havent been watching a lot of game stuff online, plus I really don't go to Twitch for much to begin with. Has their stuff been any good? Does it just feel like you're watching a Giantbomb stream? 

I generally didn't watch too much giant bomb stuff, but probably more than most. Usually UPF, the talk overs and various game related game stuff. But I generally never watch it live. They only have two videos up now on their (nextlander) youtube page (I linked one of them in the Dark Alliance thread) and I haven't watched it, but looks mostly like where they left off but mainly because it's just the same people doing the same thing. :p

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

Have any of you been watching much of their content? With summer here I havent been watching a lot of game stuff online, plus I really don't go to Twitch for much to begin with. Has their stuff been any good? Does it just feel like you're watching a Giantbomb stream? I listen to their podcasts while working so that's been the extent of my Nextlander content. 

It’s been basically giant bomb style stuff. I listened to their pod they did with min max and they said initially they plan to do what they know they are good at / are used to doing, but hope to evolve over time. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So I said this in the other thread:

And if you listen to the latest episode (Episode 3) it was like a crash course for them in what Twitch is and provides and it's almost in line with what I said a couple of months ago. It's like by being on their own site they had no idea of how things are outside of the site.

It's funny you say that because the reason i stopped listening to Giant Bomb a few years ago was because they seemed completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world. Like, they knew what THEY liked and what was good to THEM, but if it fell outside their wheelhouse they didn't have a clue.

I got tired of yelling at the monitor.

• 1 year later...

Interesting moment on the newest Nextlander Q&A pod that they do for their Patreon subscribers. 

They pull in live viewers to ask some of the questions (aka they can’t screen all of them ahead of time). This guy asked them if they planned on doing anything with Gertsmann. 

Maybe it was in my imagination, but it seemed awkward. Like Vinny answered honestly but just kind of kept repeating that they have no plans for that at this time lol. And you’d think if they were on good terms or had any sort of interest I guess they’d be like “we don’t have plans to but we’d welcome him any time” or just something like that. 

This is probably mostly just interesting to me but I am so curious at the dynamic between them all. Vinny and Brad were more professional with him I think but at one point he and Alex were pretty close personally I believe. 

19 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Interesting moment on the newest Nextlander Q&A pod that they do for their Patreon subscribers. 

They pull in live viewers to ask some of the questions (aka they can’t screen all of them ahead of time). This guy asked them if they planned on doing anything with Gertsmann. 

Maybe it was in my imagination, but it seemed awkward. Like Vinny answered honestly but just kind of kept repeating that they have no plans for that at this time lol. And you’d think if they were on good terms or had any sort of interest I guess they’d be like “we don’t have plans to but we’d welcome him any time” or just something like that. 

This is probably mostly just interesting to me but I am so curious at the dynamic between them all. Vinny and Brad were more professional with him I think but at one point he and Alex were pretty close personally I believe. 

The whole situation with G-mann has been very strange all around. Its weird how shrouded in secrecy it all has been. Usually theres leaks, especially after layoffs. 

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The whole situation with G-mann has been very strange all around. Its weird how shrouded in secrecy it all has been. Usually theres leaks, especially after layoffs. 

I posted this in another thread but not too long ago Gertsmann confirmed he was fired from GB three weeks prior to his planned resignation. 

I would just love to know! It’s gossipy and doesn’t really matter, but I’m interested regardless. With the way Vinny and Brad have just kind of hinted at their distaste with management and corporate and how that led to their resignations, I always wondered was Jeff more colleague to them or more boss. The way Jeff BARELY acknowledged nextlander or anything any of the others ended up doing compared to like the way he talks about like Patrick klepek or Austin walker at the very least suggests to me he holds some kind of a grudge. But it cuts both ways where this was the first time I’ve heard the nextlander crew really address Jeff in a way that was more than like “oh I think Jeff used to have a copy of such and such.” 

I hope it’s just a mild petty thing and they could someday cross paths on a thing or two, even if it were just a pod. Just get the sense it was more than that. 

• Halal 1

37 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

More interesting that they’ll be working with some GB members in the coming weeks.

Either it wasn’t amicable, or (for whatever reason), they don’t want the association.

Yeah and they’ve been on several giant Bomb streams since Jeff left - but ONLY since he left. 

I’m not going to pretend to know how to read the tea leaves here, you can make the facts fit your own narrative however you’d like.  I will say that I find it extremely unlikely that anyone at Nextlander was caught off guard by this question or hasn’t had to answer it before now.  They went independent before he did and Jeff has been doing this for close to a year, I’m sure the second he was out at Giant Bomb patrons were asking them about it.  

• True 1

21 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I’m not going to pretend to know how to read the tea leaves here, you can make the facts fit your own narrative however you’d like.  I will say that I find it extremely unlikely that anyone at Nextlander was caught off guard by this question or hasn’t had to answer it before now.  They went independent before he did and Jeff has been doing this for close to a year, I’m sure the second he was out at Giant Bomb patrons were asking them about it.  

Sure but not on a live podcast. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Sure but not on a live podcast. 

It doesn’t matter if it’s live or not, the question has to have come up and they have to have had an answer before.  Even if they absolutely despise each other behind the scenes, there is a zero percent chance they haven’t said “we currently don’t have any plans” before and there’s no reason to be caught off guard by a question you have to know is coming.  

21 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

It doesn’t matter if it’s live or not, the question has to have come up and they have to have had an answer before.  Even if they absolutely despise each other behind the scenes, there is a zero percent chance they haven’t said “we currently don’t have any plans” before and there’s no reason to be caught off guard by a question you have to know is coming.  

I disagree! I think when most of the time you’re being asked what your favorite topping on a hotdog is there’s still a chance you’ll get caught off guard by a question even if you’ve answered it before, depending on the circumstances. You’re absolutely right that speculating is a fruitless exercise and I fill in the gaps with my own narrative, but I disagree that you can’t be caught off guard with a question that makes you uncomfortable, even if you know how to answer. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

@Keyser_Soze That sure is a strange Patreon. Can she legally have a tier where people pay her money and she sends them a physical "mixtape" CD with music she doesn't own the rights to?

For $100 I can buy my own songs and make my own damn mixtapes, and probably have about $50 left over. WTF is this lady peddling?

I really hope that whole thing is just a bad joke.

And she's already making $1200 a month. FML.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

For $100 I can buy my own songs and make my own damn mixtapes, and probably have about $50 left over. WTF is this lady peddling?

I really hope that whole thing is just a bad joke.

And she's already making $1200 a month. FML.

I had to look just to make sure it wasn't fake but she's promoting it on her Twitter. I guess she's using it more as a tip jar. Between the cd thing, the weird snarky"give me money" comments  on each tier, and the banner pic she used on the Patreon is a pic reused from her Giant Bomb days, whole thing felt pretty sus.