Nextlander - a new podcast/streaming project from Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, and Alex Navarro

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nextlander - a new podcast/streaming project from Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, and Alex Navarro
54 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Woof. While I'll definitely subscribe, it's definitely kind of paints a rough picture on what could be happening at Giant Bomb.

I have a hunch it is probably not all that bad. It certainly sounds like maybe they were not able to make all the content they wanted to make, but I wonder if the pandemic showing them they could create something remotely + burnout and the desire to do something new was just enough to get them to do it. 

If only they had gotten Bakalar…

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I have a hunch it is probably not all that bad. It certainly sounds like maybe they were not able to make all the content they wanted to make, but I wonder if the pandemic showing them they could create something remotely + burnout and the desire to do something new was just enough to get them to do it. 

If only they had gotten Bakalar…

Yeah, I haven't listened to the first one yet, I'll probably wait until Wednesday when I'm in the office. But from what others have said they talked about some frustration with corporate oversight and demands for growth and the like. I know on one stream way back Vinny somewhat drunkenly referred to the way CBSi treated Giant Bomb as like an "unflushed turd". That, combined with the pandemic kind of proving they have all the tools and ability to do everything themselves without company money or space.

That said, while I'm sure there is a desire for all sides to succeed, there will be instances with things like talk-over streams (say, this E3 for instance) where they'll basically have to split the viewership.

2 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Yeah, I haven't listened to the first one yet, I'll probably wait until Wednesday when I'm in the office. But from what others have said they talked about some frustration with corporate oversight and demands for growth and the like. I know on one stream way back Vinny somewhat drunkenly referred to the way CBSi treated Giant Bomb as like an "unflushed turd". That, combined with the pandemic kind of proving they have all the tools and ability to do everything themselves without company money or space.

That said, while I'm sure there is a desire for all sides to succeed, there will be instances with things like talk-over streams (say, this E3 for instance) where they'll basically have to split the viewership.

I noticed earlier gertsmann hadn’t liked or sent well wishes to the project. I wonder if he is a little bit upset / feels betrayed. I feel bad for him because I’m sure he doesn’t want to leave his baby, but I currently don’t feel great about the state of Giant Bomb and the chemistry of the current group. It has been a lot of gertsmann, and I enjoy listening to him a lot, but he does best when someone is there to challenge him or reign him in. Ryan Davis was so good at that. 

On the other hand I am just so happy about this new project, I for some reason didn’t expect them all to work together. 

26 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It has been a lot of gertsmann, and I enjoy listening to him a lot, but he does best when someone is there to challenge him or reign him in. Ryan Davis was so good at that. 

I mentioned this in the other GB thread. Hes been really overpowering the podcast, to the point I quit listening to most of it. 

I noticed earlier gertsmann hadn’t liked or sent well wishes to the project. I wonder if he is a little bit upset / feels betrayed. I feel bad for him because I’m sure he doesn’t want to leave his baby, but I currently don’t feel great about the state of Giant Bomb and the chemistry of the current group. It has been a lot of gertsmann, and I enjoy listening to him a lot, but he does best when someone is there to challenge him or reign him in. Ryan Davis was so good at that. 

On the other hand I am just so happy about this new project, I for some reason didn’t expect them all to work together. 

Really? I’m actually kinda enjoying the nee group more than the previous grouping. Danny has been fantastic and I don’t know if the other Jeff was just short term(I hope not, I loved he had a slightly different persoective) but it was fantastic with the 3 of them. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Really? I’m actually kinda enjoying the nee group more than the previous grouping. Danny has been fantastic and I don’t know if the other Jeff was just short term(I hope not, I loved he had a slightly different persoective) but it was fantastic with the 3 of them. 

Unfortunately, Danny really is only temporary - he extended his stay to tide GB over until they can make new hires.

18 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I like them all in a vacuum I just don’t think they vibe super great, but bakalar had such a natural chemistry with Vinnie and Alex so perhaps I’m holding them to too high a standard. 

I do think Jeff needs to be balanced out though. 

I like them all in a vacuum I just don’t think they vibe super great, but bakalar had such a natural chemistry with Vinnie and Alex so perhaps I’m holding them to too high a standard. 

I do think Jeff needs to be balanced out though. 

I think Bakalar and Danny (for as long as he sticks around) are good foils to Jeff. Not in an antagonistic way like Ryan, but they're good at speaking their mind.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Why would Jeff need to be reined in, he's one of the few influencers in gaming who clearly loves the hobby and who engages in consuming games critically. 

Because it turns into multiple 5 minute Jeff soliloquies every pod where he talks in circles and you end up only really hearing his perspective on a game. 

I love Jeff Gertsmann, appreciate and respect him. But the pod is a worse product at this time, I think they’re finding their footing. Doesn’t mean it won’t improve. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

5 minute Jeff screeds are what save us from everyone else slurping the worst parts of games like RDR2. I want him to do whatever he finds most personally fulfilling, but "less Jeff" is never what GB has needed.

Agree to disagree I guess. When he dominates the discussion as much as he has the last 4 weeks or so, I think less Jeff is just what the doctor ordered, even when I agree with him. 

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

5 minute Jeff screeds are what save us from everyone else slurping the worst parts of games like RDR2. I want him to do whatever he finds most personally fulfilling, but "less Jeff" is never what GB has needed.

God, that reminds me of when the Beastcast had Mike Mahardy on to talk about RDR2. It was just 20 minutes of "then this happened, and then this happened, and you could do this, and this this happened." The absolute worst thing a games podcaster can do is talk about a game in the same way some dude giving an E3 demo would.

5 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

It’ll be my first patreon. 

5 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Same lol. 

About a year or so ago I decided that I'd like to support artists on Patreon, so I did. It feels nice and you can even leave positive feedback to the creators and they are very appreciative of it.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

I think Bakalar and Danny (for as long as he sticks around) are good foils to Jeff. Not in an antagonistic way like Ryan, but they're good at speaking their mind.

Agree 100% it never feels like they’re getting stepped on because they both have such different takes and ways of looking at things. Whereas Brad would kind of let himself get stepped on then you could hear the frustration in his voice. I totally get people like different things. But these last few weeks of BC have been the most I’ve enjoyed it in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Listening to the first episode (or episode 0) without directly saying it, it sounds like they just didn't like how big the company got and having to answer to higher ups and such.

Well any time they had to address why with so many of them on staff they'd put out so little content, it'd obviously frustrate them because they'd bring up meetings and other time-wasting corporate BS that seemed to eat up a ton of their actual work time. There are lone streamers who put out more content than all of GB combined per week. Not that I expect them to be making stuff constantly or anything, it's just clear that they've been able to make less and less content they want to make lately.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Well any time they had to address why with so many of them on staff they'd put out so little content, it'd obviously frustrate them because they'd bring up meetings and other time-wasting corporate BS that seemed to eat up a ton of their actual work time. There are lone streamers who put out more content than all of GB combined per week. Not that I expect them to be making stuff constantly or anything, it's just clear that they've been able to make less and less content they want to make lately.

I said this as much in the other thread where they were leaving.