Be careful refilling your vehicle tires!

When I was in high school I was filling my bike tires at a gas station and the head of the air hose thing wasn't attached properly and it got launched like a rocket. The velocity was insane. It shot like 50 feet across the street. It could have seriously hurt someone.

My brother in law has permanent brain damage and screws still in his hands from his accident. Years before he met my sister, he worked at a local car shop as a mechanic. They had a new rig setup, but the tire gage wasn’t setup properly. Working on a car tire on the lift, overfilled without knowing, exploded and sent him flying into the car lift. Shattered his right hand, broken skull/jaw, lost some teeth, breathing tube through neck, and they had to fuse part of his neck and spine. They didn’t think he would live for the first few days in the hospital.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 5

One thing that can help is getting a ~$20 air pump from Amazon. The one I have isn't fancy or quick to inflate but I'm able to avoid waiting until I can make it to Wawa or something to inflate my tires the second I get a low pressure warning, avoiding damage to the tires in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

One thing that can help is getting a ~$20 air pump from Amazon. The one I have isn't fancy or quick to inflate but I'm able to avoid waiting until I can make it to Wawa or something to inflate my tires the second I get a low pressure warning, avoiding damage to the tires in the meantime.

Yep. The only tricky part can be that the pressure meters on the $20 air pumps tend to be shit so it can be hard to be sure how long to keep it going if your car's tire pressure sensors won't update without the car moving--my Fiat gave a live (albeit slightly laggy) update but my Elantra just won't udpate at all until it's rolled along a bit.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yep. The only tricky part can be that the pressure meters on the $20 air pumps tend to be shit so it can be hard to be sure how long to keep it going if your car's tire pressure sensors won't update without the car moving--my Fiat gave a live (albeit slightly laggy) update but my Elantra just won't udpate at all until it's rolled along a bit.

Gotta also have the ~$3 pressure gauge as well

20 minutes ago, silentbob said:

My brother in law has permanent brain damage and screws still in his hands from his accident. Years before he met my sister, he worked at a local car shop as a mechanic. They had a new rig setup, but the tire gage wasn’t setup properly. Working on a car tire on the lift, overfilled without knowing, exploded and sent him flying into the car lift. Shattered his right hand, broken skull/jaw, lost some teeth, breathing tube through neck, and they had to fuse part of his neck and spine. They didn’t think he would live for the first few days in the hospital.

Jesus Christ. Cars were a mistake

8 hours ago, silentbob said:

That is fucking ridiculous. Jesus. That scares me big time.

The Sheetz gas stations and one grocery store in my area have these digital air pumps where you set the psi you want and it automatically fills it. They are always busy too because they are free. I always see people leaning on the tires with their hand, hunched over with their face about a foot away from the tire rim as they fill it. Makes me cringe everytime. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I avoid digital ones. The batteries always seem to be dead when I need them the most. I bought this one at an auto parts store years ago. Its got a nice heavy feel to it. Some of the pencil looking gauges can feel really cheap and plastic but this one felt good. 

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-2016-A-Automotive-Accessories/dp/B000BOJ6F0/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=slime+tire+pressure+gauge&qid=1620782986&sprefix=Slime+tire+pressure+&sr=8-17

8 hours ago, Chris- said:

Filling tires doesn’t bother me but I am acutely unnerved by car jacks (especially the threadbare ones that come with most cars). I know how to change a tire but I still call AAA just because I am not fucking with that. 

I have to call roadside assistance anyway because mechanics put the tires on so tight that the manual tools won't get the bolts loose.

58 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have to call roadside assistance anyway because mechanics put the tires on so tight that the manual tools won't get the bolts loose.

This is so true. I recently had to change the tire of my fiance by the roadside and I had to jump on the wrench to loosen the nuts up, so they had more than 200lbft of torque on them.