Switch ‘Test VR Mode’ Reportedly Uncovered by Modders

TwinIon

There wasn't any content available, but it seems that modders have found a VR mode of sorts in the Switch.

Given the screen and the graphics capability of the Switch, I would expect any kind of VR to be a LABO quality experience, more like a toy than a way to play real VR games. Still, it's interesting that Nintendo is even thinking about VR that much.

There was some type of patent pre-release as well iirc.

This could work in two ways: a “wireless” headset that the Switch sits inside that competes with something like Gear VR (the TegraX beats the crap out of any other smartphone/mobile gpu that I’m aware of), or a wired headset that connects to the Switches dock that also has a box of some sort that increases the Switches processing power.

Just now, legend said:

Trying to extrapolate from memory to what it would feel like on my head, but seems like it would be on the heavy side, no?

Maybe? The bigger is the screen resolution. It's just way too low for good VR. Nintendo might have been toying with the idea in the past, but I doubt they have any plans for it with the current Switch. Then again, maybe they do something with Labo and keep the colors and graphics simple so that the low resolution ins't too straining on the eyes.

They might have just been using the switch to toy with it as a prototype for an eventual switch successor which would hopefully have a proper resolution for it by then. The switch as it stands is probably good enough for them to use as a prototype as to what it could be like, how they would develop for it, etc. By the time the switch runs its course the timing should be a lot better for Nintendo to jump in.

Whatever mobile processor they use should be on par with what psvr is now, but they’ll have an advantage in it being fully wireless and all they need is to sell a cheap headset addon you slide it in. I imagine they’ll just use whatever version of joycons they have by then. Hopefully windows mixed reality like tracking without needing sensors will be better by then, so it can fully track you, it could be a good move for Nintendo. But not for another 4-5 years.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Maybe? The bigger is the screen resolution. It's just way too low for good VR. Nintendo might have been toying with the idea in the past, but I doubt they have any plans for it with the current Switch. Then again, maybe they do something with Labo and keep the colors and graphics simple so that the low resolution ins't too straining on the eyes.

Unless the Switch simply powers a headsets own screen instead of relying on the handheld's screen? (ie: the headset works like the dock)

I think it's most likely being experimented with, but I don't think we'll get it until either a revision with a higher resolution screen, or a successor. 

Even a 1080p screen (which I could imagine being used in a Switch revision)  would be at the low end for VR, So I think we will be waiting for a long while. 

If the VR fad fades as fast as 3D did,  then I doubt we will ever see it. 

Most likely this is just stuff from Nvidia as I believe they helped build most of the SDK. A lot of companies were trying to use the K1 & X1 chipsets in VR headsets.

Also if Nintendo was seriously considering a vr headset for the switch, they probably would follow LG with a headset that plugs into the device via USB-C. It makes far more sense then the switch docking into a GearVR like device. 

28220-e5ef63e8_945_556.jpg

I thought the Switch might do cardboard VR and after Labo I thought that even more. However not a great screen for VR but Nintendo is all about budget tech. INteresting idea that the switch would connect to a headset and not use the screen for the headset. I just don't think Nintendo is going to be that agressive in VR at all.