Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

And here there appears to be a pretty big misalignment of where the color grading/lighting is supposed to change (I assume when you stop outside of the building) but it's all indoors, so it was something else, that's for sure!

Entering Ashenvale from Stonetalon Mountains.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

the halo campaign, Forza, HiFi Rush, Deathloop

🤣 Halo was a disaster. 🤣

Hifi rush isnt triple A, not even close. Great game though

Deathloop  launched on ps5 first because the game was already 90% finished when MS acquired Bethesda/Arkane and they already had a deal with Sony on place. It was also pretty disappointing coming off Dishonored.

Forza ok fine but pretty hard to ruin a copy/paste of the previous 6 games.

Psychonauts 2 I will grant you.

So you named like 1.5, 2 if we're being generous. Hardly the "many" that you claimed

13 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

🤣 Halo was a disaster. 🤣

Hifi rush isnt triple A, not even close. Great game though

Deathloop  launched on ps5 first because the game was already 90% finished when MS acquired Bethesda/Arkane and they already had a deal with Sony on place. It was also pretty disappointing coming off Dishonored.

Forza ok fine but pretty hard to ruin a copy/paste of the previous 6 games.

Psychonauts 2 I will grant you.

So you named like 1.5, 2 if we're being generous. Hardly the "many" that you claimed

Halo was fantastic at launch.

Deathloop is still an xbox 1st party game. 

thats this generation. Off the top of my head. And Starfield.

Forza 7 coming this year.

Your narrative just doesn’t make sense. 1.5 or 2. No, just no. 

every single one is a first party banger. 

I absolutely loved Halo Infinite so that's confusion to call it a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So, I made it to the Free Star Collective world and man, this is a better speed for BGS than New Atlantis! The feel of the world and the population centers just clicks a bit more with that Firefly vibe. Like Outerworlds but with a budget and no Spacer's Choice. 

Haven't been there yet but great to hear. The more I play the more I'm understanding just how massive this game is. 

I know I ask a lot of stupid questions but here goes.

On my ship there isn't any storage for my guns that I collected. So I'm over encumbered all the time not knowing what to do with these guns?

Also, I was promised a jetpack from Sarah in the beginning of the game but never got it? I even tried to shop around for one and couldn't find it. 

One last thing, where do you buy new ships? I have a good amount of credits and I'd like a ship with storage and more room for my crew. 

Starfield-EG.jpg?width=1200&height=600&f
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry verdict on Bethesda's massively anticipated sci-fi RPG.

The other technical issue that requires some work is its HDR implementation. The game natively supports HDR but its peak brightness is severely limited while black levels are raised. In fact, black levels are raised in both SDR and HDR leading to a slightly washed out image. I suspect this is an intentional choice on the part of the developers but I would like to see an option in the menu allowing users to adjust the peak brightness, paper white and black levels to match their display. I was also disappointed by the lack of a field of view slider on any platform - though on PC, it's possible to change this setting via an .ini file. Classic Bethesda.

Still, despite these criticisms, I was really surprised and impressed by how stable the game is overall. 30 fps is not a high frame-rate, I get that, but it's almost always stable and that counts for a lot. I also want to give special mention to the game's audio. For starters, Inon Zur composed the soundtrack to Starfield and it's absolutely phenomenal - hugely atmospheric with powerful themes driving the experience, but the sound effects work is also equally impressive. It makes full use of surround sound, enveloping you in the action. However, what I really love are the ways in which sound playback varies per environment. The difference in weapons fire audio within an internal and external environment is huge.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So, I made it to the Free Star Collective world and man, this is a better speed for BGS than New Atlantis! The feel of the world and the population centers just clicks a bit more with that Firefly vibe. Like Outerworlds but with a budget and no Spacer's Choice. 

Ohhh this post is the most excited I’ve gotten from impressions so far!

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry Xbox Series X Technical Review
1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Halo was fantastic at launch.

Deathloop is still an xbox 1st party game. 

thats this generation. Off the top of my head. And Starfield.

Forza 7 coming this year.

Your narrative just doesn’t make sense. 1.5 or 2. No, just no. 

every single one is a first party banger. 

The user you originally responded to said MS finally released a good single player AAA game. You named some non-AAA games, some multiplayer, and Deathloop.  

I love Deathloop and preordered it, but that game was faaaar into development when Bethesda was bought, which makes it weird to credit the publisher who bought them years into development. Original post made sense because three years after the purchase, you can make the argument that the game being less bug-filled has to do with their involvement delaying it and doing lots of play tests. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ohhh this post is the most excited I’ve gotten from impressions so far!

You're gunna enjoy this game buddy boy. It's a Bethesda game through and through and that's not a bad thing. The sense of discovery is great and they made everything work really well. Like the ship controls are cool and the AI is fantastic. This game runs really well, too. 30fps is extremely steady with no hiccups. I have not seen one glitch or bug. It's really polished. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The user you originally responded to said MS finally released a good single player AAA game. You named some non-AAA games, some multiplayer, and Deathloop.  

I love Deathloop and preordered it, but that game was faaaar into development when Bethesda was bought, which makes it weird to credit the publisher who bought them years into development. Original post made sense because three years after the purchase, you can make the argument that the game being less bug-filled has to do with their involvement delaying it and doing lots of play tests. 

Are tou pretending multiplayer games aren’t AAA. You’re just spouting nonsense at this point. Halo, Forza Horizon, Forza 7, Psychonauts 2, Starfield, all AAA, without question.

and what does the dumb AAA tag have to do with great first party games?

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Are tou pretending multiplayer games aren’t AAA. You’re just spouting nonsense at this point.

The post you quoted literally said triple a single player.

And what do you mean at this point? I haven’t talked to you this entire thread.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

They did do a good Halo but it had issues with a component that they spent a lot of money on. Forza has been good for like 15 years but it doesn’t say anything about their ability to deliver compelling games beyond that. That has been the problem forever (gears, halo, forza, nothing else) and all last gen especially as there are less Gears and Halo releases now. Psyconauts 2 was like crowd funded and super far into development and also released on ps4/5 anyway. I’ll actually give Hi FI Rush as its production values are great but there has obviously been an issue.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m a big dumb idiot and I paid the premium upgrade fee. You do get extra story content with it so..anyway holy shit it’s 140gb???

The game is massive lol. I'm interested in what you think then. Be patient and take your time learning shit. 

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The post you quoted literally said triple a single player.

And what do you mean at this point? I haven’t talked to you this entire thread.

Forza and Halo aren't AAA? They have multiplayer, but the SP is just as good tbh :p 

Deathloop certainly doesn't count and the others definitely aren't "AAA", though.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Forza and Halo aren't AAA? They have multiplayer, but the SP is just as good tbh :p 

Deathloop certainly doesn't count and the others definitely aren't "AAA", though.

I think it’s been so long since they’ve been able to break out with a single player AAA that isn’t gears/halo/forza that his point stands!

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think it’s been so long since they’ve been able to break out with a single player AAA that isn’t gears/halo/forza that his point stands!

Halo Infinite was arguably different enough from previous games to count. I'd even argue if it was linear it would've been worse than Halo 5 :p 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I could be wrong since I really don’t play that or Gran Turismo, but Forza horizon always seemed like a big communal multiplayer experience, one that really shines when you’re playing online with others. 

there was a long period that I could play some big quality single player games from Microsoft, but the past decade and change has been barren for me. Although, maybe with all the money they’re throwing around, they’ll default into it by buying the rest of the publishers out there.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I could be wrong since I really don’t play that or Gran Turismo, but Forza horizon always seemed like a big communal multiplayer experience, one that really shines when you’re playing online with others. 

I always play it SP. In fact, I hate playing it online :p 

The experience between SP and MP is more-or-less the same, except it's real people instead of AI drivers.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

That’s good to hear! I won’t help me though. 343 really hasn’t hooked me, and there are a few driving games outside of twisted metal that I would normally play. 

Oh, I'm not trying to convince you to go buy an XSX and play these games. Just stating that they are AAA and the SP is very good on both of them. I have no idea why Microsoft doesn't bring back all of their great first party IPs from the 90s/2000s.

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Where there’s drama, there’s a free game ready to be had. Spider-Man 2 thanks

Sexy Spider Man GIF

Nah, it's just Apoc, no free games for that type of drama!

• Sad 1