The Official "That Movie Wasn't So Bad" Thread

So sort of like a @Phaseknox thread but for movies then?  Those are routinely some of my favorite threads to read.

Speed Racer - absolutely insane, overlong, but full of incredible moments and has a style that will likely never be replicated

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning - the fourth (I think?) direct to video Universal Soldier sequel, it's got a few incredible action scenes, and is super dark and hypnotic.  There is a whole cult universe of interesting direct to video action movies, mostly starring Scott Adkins, that I first learned about via this great AV Club piece ( https://film.avclub.com/today-s-best-action-directors-aren-t-working-in-hollywo-1798241342 )

I'll try and think of more but that's what came to mind immediately.

• Shocked 1

Damn you

25 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

So sort of like a @Phaseknox thread but for movies then?  Those are routinely some of my favorite threads to read.

Speed Racer - absolutely insane, overlong, but full of incredible moments and has a style that will likely never be replicated

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning - the fourth (I think?) direct to video Universal Soldier sequel, it's got a few incredible action scenes, and is super dark and hypnotic.  There is a whole cult universe of interesting direct to video action movies, mostly starring Scott Adkins, that I first learned about via this great AV Club piece ( https://film.avclub.com/today-s-best-action-directors-aren-t-working-in-hollywo-1798241342 )

I'll try and think of more but that's what came to mind immediately.

You forgot to mention that Van Damme is the bad guy in that latest Universal Soldier movie and somehow Dolph Lundgren is alive again :p

• Haha 1

Buffalo 66 is one of the first and only examples of anything close to asexual representation in a movie, for better or worse. It's a shame Gallo has to go all in with behaving like an edgelord piece of garbage in real life.

The Glass House was strongly panned when it came out and is mostly forgotten now. Haven't seen it since release year, but I remember it being an engaging enough thriller with a unique atmosphere.

Good Dick has mostly negative reviews and I'm genuinely confused by this.

Better Luck Tomorrow is a great indie film that nobody cared about at the time.  Can't remember what its critical reception was.

The Rental got mixed reviews, but I mostly loved it and thought it was a refreshing concept.

On 3/25/2021 at 5:47 PM, heydude93 said:

Better Luck Tomorrow is a great indie film that nobody cared about at the time.  Can't remember what its critical reception was.

Nobody cared about it, but it did put Justin Lin on the map and the critical reception was really good. It's a fantastic movie.

15 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Waterworld

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ll follow this up with The Postman. I’ll watch both every time they’re on. 

Agreed on both counts especially Waterworld. That movie ALWAYS got a bad rap... I'll also add Terminator 3. That movie had the misfortune of following up one of the greatest sci-fi action films ever made and just couldn't live up to the expectations.

A movie that I think not only isn't that bad, but is actually pretty excellent and underrated is Riddick (2013).  It has major flaws, a big one being some low budget effects work, but it is structurally very daring and it's the kind of unrepentant B-movie that never gets made nowadays.  I've seen it several times and I appreciate it more and more.  What starts as a silent survival film becomes a kind of subversive slasher, which then transforms into full blown sci-fi action for the last act.  It's heads and shoulders above Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, and apart from one or two flashbacks stands completely alone in that franchise.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s kind of embarrassing to say, but sometimes I watch Pearl Harbor just for the battle scenes. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And, honestly, as bad as that movie is, it's not that bad.

I know I use this as a qualifier all the time, but I would absolutely watch that movie on a plane. To anyone who has ever taken 13 hour flights to china, you know what that means.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s kind of embarrassing to say, but sometimes I watch Pearl Harbor just for the battle scenes. 

Nothing wrong with that at all... the spectacle of that movie is what makes it watchable.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I like Oblivion and don't think it sucks and also love m83.

Agreed on both points.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And, honestly, as bad as that movie is, it's not that bad.

I know I use this as a qualifier all the time, but I would absolutely watch that movie on a plane. To anyone who has ever taken 13 hour flights to china, you know what that means.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nothing wrong with that at all... the spectacle of that movie is what makes it watchable.

Yeah, because the love story sucks and most of the acting is bad, lol. 

I actually kinda want to see Midway for the same reason. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, because the love story sucks and most of the acting is bad, lol. 

I actually kinda want to see Midway for the same reason. 

I also watched Midway on a plane!

It's okay. It's rehashed campy jingoist bullshit, but it's not offensively bad.