Auto HDR coming to PC

JPDunks4

heatmap.png
DEVBLOGS.MICROSOFT.COM

Today we’re excited to bring you a preview of Auto HDR for your PC gaming experience and we’re looking for your help to test it out. When enabled on your HDR capable gaming PC, you will...

The difference HDR makes on some Back Compat games is very noticable.  Nice to see they are implenting it on PC as well.

Fun fact, HDR lighting in games has been around since 2004. GPUs have been processing it for over a decade, but it was only recently that monitors have been able to actually display the higher color precision depth. Up until then, they had to do what's called "tone mapping" to reduce the color depth to something a non-HDR monitor could display.

It's really not surprising that many games can be simply modified to remove this tone mapping step and output high dynamic range color to the display directly.

29 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Fun fact, HDR lighting in games has been around since 2004. GPUs have been processing it for over a decade, but it was only recently that monitors have been able to actually display the higher color precision depth. Up until then, they had to do what's called "tone mapping" to reduce the color depth to something a non-HDR monitor could display.

It's really not surprising that many games can be simply modified to remove this tone mapping step and output high dynamic range color to the display directly.

#MemberBloom?IMember

I have this set up now and it’s pretty rad! Works better than I thought, I guess because of how lame Windows hdr is, but it doesn’t seem like some lame fake attempt.

I tried Hat In time and Vampyr and it worked on both, Hat in Time especially looks really nice with it activated!