Nintendo to Replace Nearly 18 Year Old Multiplayer Server System With Something More Modern

Keyser_Soze

So it was announced / discovered that Nintendo is replacing their multiplayer servers that run on a nearly 18 year old system with a new one starting with Monster Hunter Rise

1280x720.jpg
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

A long time coming - Let's be real, Nintendo's online service hasn't always been the best. While it's always worked, it ha...

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Is this part of why Nintendo games online are so shitty?

How shitty have your online experiences been with Nintendo games? Smash is (in)famously bad, but anecdotally? Literally all other games play “perfectly” fine online. 

I’ve never experienced the kind of lag/slowdown that I’ve seen in Smash in other games like Mario Kart, Splatoon or Pokémon

Even third party games like Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Ball and Monster Hunter play smooth on Nintendo hardware. At least, in my experience. 

Am I just lucky, or have others experienced this as well?

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Is this part of why Nintendo games online are so shitty?

Possible but the most likely culprit is WIFI, latency and piss poor net code. Japanese devs set up net code that works wonder in Japan where great connections are the norm and the population is dense. That same net code works in major cities like NYC or LA but outside of that the connections get worse and players farther apart and you get this

Image result for sfv netcode delay gif

40 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

How shitty have your online experiences been with Nintendo games? Smash is (in)famously bad, but anecdotally? Literally all other games play “perfectly” fine online. 

I’ve never experienced the kind of lag/slowdown that I’ve seen in Smash in other games like Mario Kart, Splatoon or Pokémon

Even third party games like Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Ball and Monster Hunter play smooth on Nintendo hardware. At least, in my experience. 

Same for me Grant. I also have a good online experience unless it’s Smash for some reason.  I played a ton of Mario Tennis and Mario Kart on the 3DS back in the day and never had any problem. It’s been just as good on the Switch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Same for me Grant. I also have a good online experience unless it’s Smash for some reason.  I played a ton of Mario Tennis and Mario Kart on the 3DS back in the day and never had any problem. It’s been just as good on the Switch. 

Ah yes. I do remember you kicking my ass pretty hard in Mario Tennis Open several years ago! And unfortunately I can’t blame lag for that beat down, haha.

I’ve played a few online games on 3DS with some of the members here in the past, too. Resident Evil Revelations’s Raid Mode comes to mind, as well as Monster Hunter 4 ULTIMATE and Mario Golf: World Tour. Never had a problem connecting or dealing with lag or slowdown. 

Anecdotally, it just seems that Smash Bros.’s net code sucks.

16 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

You're just lucky

Smash is terrible online. Splatoon is terrible online. I can't imagine street fighter doesn't have horrible lag. Mario Kart definitely has problems, but its less noticeable because you aren't in combat, shooting at each other, etc etc.

I don't really play my switch online very much, so it doesn't matter to me anyway. All I want is more Mario, Zelda, and some Metroid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

That seems to be what most people relegate Nintendo systems to nowadays. Just a few core first-party titles, and then done.

I used to buy a lot more Nintendo games than I do now.  It's a combination of paltry 1st party price drops, a Switch tax on most indies, and less exciting 3rd party exclusives (to me) than in the past.

The Switch kind of stopped being interesting to me after finishing Xenoblade 2.  Though I do want to get Luigi's Mansion 3 eventually.

12 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

That seems to be what most people relegate Nintendo systems to nowadays. Just a few core first-party titles, and then done.

I mean, I really cannot imagine why anyone would play a multi-platform game on Switch. Terrible framerates, slowdown, low resolution. If its not exclusive to switch, there are better places to sell it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, I really cannot imagine why anyone would play a multi-platform game on Switch. Terrible framerates, slowdown, low resolution. If its not exclusive to switch, there are better places to sell it.

Fair enough for multi-plats, sure. Obviously those don’t apply to *every* game, but it’s enough for people to think that’s the status quo and not even consider those games on Switch. Unless they want to play these games on-the-go or enjoy some exclusive modes or features in the Switch version of a game.

But even the third party exclusives don’t sell *super* well. Most of the time, anyway. Most gamers just go Mario/Kart, Zelda, Metroid, maybe Smash...and then they are done with the console. 

I guess that’s just...I mean it is what it is. *shrugs*

Makes me wonder how Monster Hunter Rise will perform on the market.

19 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Fair enough for multi-plats, sure. Obviously those don’t apply to *every* game, but it’s enough for people to think that’s the status quo and not even consider those games on Switch. Unless they want to play these games on-the-go or enjoy some exclusive modes or features in the Switch version of a game.

But even the third party exclusives don’t sell *super* well. Most of the time, anyway. Most gamers just go Mario/Kart, Zelda, Metroid, maybe Smash...and then they are done with the console. 

Monster hunter is a massive, beloved franchise. It'll be fine.

I mean, aside from Nintendo's own properties, the switch doesn't have much to offer. It looks terrible docked on modern tv's, especially with the move to 4k its extremely noticeable. Im also not a fan of how underpowered it had to be for handheld mode. I really wish Nintendo would make a 4k, console only switch. No screens, no joycons (obviously you could buy and use them if you want), just a 4k console with a pro controller (but without the terrible, mushy buttons, and with Haptics.

Also, an online save system, and get rid of damn friends codes. The dumbest system ive ever seen for online gaming. 

Its like they had a meeting at Nintendo and said:

Person A: MS has great online capabilities and friends list. How can we do the complete opposite and make something everyone hates! Something that would have been outdated in 2000!

Person B: Great, they'll love it.

18 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Seriously though, why does it bother you that people see the switch as just a 1st party game device?

53 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Seriously though, why does it bother you that people see the switch as just a 1st party game device?

Oh, I'm not bothered by it. I'm just kinda...I dunno, "wistfully" thinking out loud about how most gamers view the platform.

I think it's fairly well documented that I'm a primarily a handheld/portable-oriented gamer. I rarely play games on a TV, so I get psyched when I see a high-profile third party game come out, and the developer took the time and care to make it work on a handheld. And I feel that kind of effort often goes overlooked, which is a shame. (I recognize that this isn't always the case, btw) But I guess it's easy to ignore when there is such a better version of the same game on another system, and portability isn't a factor. And that's cool, obviously I have no problem with that.

Hopefully my posts and thoughts aren't bothering you too much. I like talking with a wide variety of gamers and I definitely appreciate your own thoughts in insights. I hope we can keep up the conversation. :peace:

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh, I'm not bothered by it. I'm just kinda...I dunno, "wistfully" thinking out loud about how most gamers view the platform.

I think it's fairly well documented that I'm a primarily a handheld/portable-oriented gamer. I rarely play games on a TV, so I get psyched when I see a high-profile third party game come out, and the developer took the time and care to make it work on a handheld. And I feel that kind of effort often goes overlooked, which is a shame. (I recognize that this isn't always the case, btw) But I guess it's easy to ignore when there is such a better version of the same game on another system, and portability isn't a factor. And that's cool, obviously I have no problem with that.

Hopefully my posts and thoughts aren't bothering you too much. I like talking with a wide variety of gamers and I definitely appreciate your own thoughts in insights. I hope we can keep up the conversation. :peace:

No, of course they aren't bothering me. Im just genuinely curious as to why you're so defensive of Nintendo.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

No, of course they aren't bothering me. Im just genuinely curious as to why you're so defensive of Nintendo.

Oh, I am? Didn't mean to come across that way, I was just making observations. I don't *think* I was defending them in any way in this thread? Heck, my first post here was saying how Smash online is still gonna suck. :thinking:

Maybe it seems like I'm defensive because I'm not dunking on Nintendo all the time? :p 

15 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I've bought precious few 3rd party games on Switch, but those I have had such a strong pull with portability that I'd rather own them there than anywhere else.  (ie: Hades, Slay the Spire, etc)  It's also a pretty neat 2-player pick up and go machine, if you don't mind the control set-up.

I don't think anyone needs to defend buying games for their Switch instead of elsewhere.  It's very much a device of convenience and options.  It just sucks that the price of games does nothing for it.  I find that so much more disappointing than the spec sheet.

• Like 1

So Nintendo replaced their Mac mini server from 2011.

People always apologize for the online experience from Nintendo. They call it perfectly fine. 

If it is so great then why is it I can’t play online with my friends. There is no way to invite a friend to a game. They offer no share play. I have a friends list but I can’t message them or invite them to play online with me. That is really shitty online.

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

So Nintendo replaced their Mac mini server from 2011.

People always apologize for the online experience from Nintendo. They call it perfectly fine. 

If it is so great then why is it I can’t play online with my friends. There is no way to invite a friend to a game. They offer no share play. I have a friends list but I can’t message them or invite them to play online with me. That is really shitty online.

Well, to be fair, I don't think anyone (including myself) said it was "great." Just that it's "fine." Perfectly fine. Not good. Definitely not great. But...it's fine. 

But what's this about not being able to play online with your friends? Personally, I do that all the time. And you can definitely send messages/game invites to your friends. In your Switch's profile page, on the menu on the left of the screen, there is an option there called "Online Play Invites" which is the 4th option in that menu. Right between "Trending" and "Friend Suggestions." I think there are some more options like that within their phone app thingy, but I never use that so I don't know for sure! :p 

The Share Play thing that Sony does is awesome, though. I do wish Switch had that. Heck, it should be industry standard! (does Xbox offer this service?) Nintendo had been doing an offline version of this feature for years...via the GBA/DS/3DS "Single Cart/Download Play" option. But that was just local play, not online. Wish they would build upon that for Switch for both offline and online play. But...alas.

At least you can play classic NES and SNES games online together with friends, which is at least something. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't play classic games online on Playstation or Xbox, right? So...that's at least something.

And okay, fine @BloodyHell THIS post was me defending Nintendo, sue me! :p 

17 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh, I am? Didn't mean to come across that way, I was just making observations. I don't *think* I was defending them in any way in this thread? Heck, my first post here was saying how Smash online is still gonna suck. :thinking:

Maybe it seems like I'm defensive because I'm not dunking on Nintendo all the time? :p 

No  i mean we have had multiple conversations about Nintendo, like about its hardware problems, and you seemed very defensive about it.

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Well, to be fair, I don't think anyone (including myself) said it was "great." Just that it's "fine." Perfectly fine. Not good. Definitely not great. But...it's fine. 

But what's this about not being able to play online with your friends? Personally, I do that all the time. And you can definitely send messages/game invites to your friends. In your Switch's profile page, on the menu on the left of the screen, there is an option there called "Online Play Invites" which is the 4th option in that menu. Right between "Trending" and "Friend Suggestions." I think there are some more options like that within their phone app thingy, but I never use that so I don't know for sure! :p 

The Share Play thing that Sony does is awesome, though. I do wish Switch had that. Heck, it should be industry standard! (does Xbox offer this service?) Nintendo had been doing an offline version of this feature for years...via the GBA/DS/3DS "Single Cart/Download Play" option. But that was just local play, not online. Wish they would build upon that for Switch for both offline and online play. But...alas.

At least you can play classic NES and SNES games online together with friends, which is at least something. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't play classic games online on Playstation or Xbox, right? So...that's at least something.

And okay, fine @BloodyHell THIS post was me defending Nintendo, sue me! :p 

Just a little 😆

I don’t know how anyone could call Nintendo's friend/online system fine, its actually terrible and cumbersome. I mean, its really bad. Friend Codes are the worst system ive ever seen for online play, and they came out long after MS and Sony showed them the proper way to do it. 

In fact, I'd say its part of the reason nobody buys 3rd party games for it.

26 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Just a little 😆

I don’t know how anyone could call Nintendo's friend/online system fine, its actually terrible and cumbersome. I mean, its really bad. Friend Codes are the worst system ive ever seen for online play, and they came out long after MS and Sony showed them the proper way to do it. 

In fact, I'd say its part of the reason nobody buys 3rd party games for it.

Parsec is saving Smash.

• Haha 1