Star Wars Outlaws (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | 30 August 2024) - "Official Story Trailer"

AbsolutSurgen

I’m caustically optimistic that this is going to be awesome. I just hope they can get out of their own way and keep things fun and moving at a good clip and to not require hunt and peck grinding. They can just make it super standard ubi and it’ll be fine, just keep super tedious non action tasks optional if they have to have a lot of those too.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Massive is one of the better devs at Ubisoft so i'm confident I'll have fun with this even if it's basically Watchdogs in a Star Wars skin... which i suspect it will be primarily.

I’m not seeing the Watch Dogs in this. 

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If this has huge game mechanics around security cameras, and dialogue that is super-sexualized -  I’ll be REALLY surprised. 

A lot of the game mechanics involve sneaking into facilities or blasting your way through using your little Creature buddy in a similar way you used the spiderbot and other gadgets in Watchdogs. I'm sure there will be similar hacking mini games, or "slicing" as it's called in Star Wars. I actually see A LOT of Watchdogs in what little gameplay I've seen. I could be wrong but I'm not pulling it out of my ass :shrug:

IMHO, Watch Dog's gameplay was distinct from something like GTA in it's use of tech hacks (many through the use of jumping between cameras) and direct control of drones/spiderbot.

I didn't get any of those vibes from last year's Ubisoft Forward trailer.

14 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Transgender Kyle Katarn?

It was more a point at what they were saying about the main character possibly getting force powers at some point. Scoundrel/smuggler turned Jedi is pretty much exactly what Kyle Katarn was in the Dark Forces - Jedi Knight series (although in kyle's case it was ex-empire turned smuggler turned spy turned jedi).

So if it did happen I would probably just call her Kylie Katarn.

Also... a weird side note. Did anyone else feel like the main character's animations and lip syncing were... "off?" in this video? I mean everyone else looked alright, but she didn't. Like the animations didn't match up. She definitely didn't look mo-capped.

I didn't even know IGN DID this video. I literally just google searched "Star Wars Outlaws Watchdogs" and this came up :p 

I've played and enjoyed all three Watchdogs games and when I saw the gameplay reveal for Outlaws last year, the Watchdogs similarities in the gameplay loop jumped right out to me with how the little Creature buddy, Nix is used and how you can apparently approach missions stealthy or aggresively. When one of the videos mentioned hacking as well, I was pretty much convinced they are using some gameplay elements from the Watchdogs series for this which makes sense. Ubisioft always borrown gameplay from one series to the next but makes it different enough to suit each series. Isn't the Avatar game basically Farcry to some extent? Anyway that's what I saw and I could be wrong but I don't think so. I also expect the game will have enough of its own tricks to distinguish itself... again :shrug:

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It was more a point at what they were saying about the main character possibly getting force powers at some point. Scoundrel/smuggler turned Jedi is pretty much exactly what Kyle Katarn was in the Dark Forces - Jedi Knight series (although in kyle's case it was ex-empire turned smuggler turned spy turned jedi).

So if it did happen I would probably just call her Kylie Katarn.

Also... a weird side note. Did anyone else feel like the main character's animations and lip syncing were... "off?" in this video? I mean everyone else looked alright, but she didn't. Like the animations didn't match up. She definitely didn't look mo-capped.

I REALLY hope they don't do this... in fact I wouldn't be upset if there weren't ANY force users in this game although I suspect that would be wishful thinking. Star Wars is so much bigger than Jedi and Sith... or at least it could be.

WWW.STARWARS.COM

The inside scoop on new characters, plot details, and much more.

Adventure? Excitement? A Jedi craves not these things. But a scoundrel sure does.

Star Wars Outlaws, the highly anticipated open-world game coming August 30 for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, and PC, promises to let fans live their best scoundrel life as Kay Vess, an up-and-comer in the galaxy’s underworld. With the arrival of a new story trailer — featuring the reveal of major villains, potential allies, and more — hype for the first Star Wars game of its kind continues to build. To learn a bit more, StarWars.com had a virtual sitdown with creative director Julian Gerighty of Ubisoft's Massive Entertainment, discussing Star Wars Outlaws’ threatening new crime syndicate, the “dream opportunity” of creating a bounty hunter, and how anyone who’s ever “felt trapped” can identify with Kay.

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If you’ve played one Ubisoft game you’ve played them all. Just like Bethesda. Difference being Bethesda gets killed for it and Ubisoft gets praise. 

I gotta agree with this. That still doesn't mean I'm not buying this. I love Star Wars. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

All this talk about Watch Dogs has given me the itch to play it again lol.

What was the latest one to come out? I think I enjoyed that but never beat it. 

I’m waiting for Watch Cats

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

It was called Watch Dogs Legion. It was good but ultimately there was just too much hacking and not enough fun. 

IMHO, Watch_Dogs 2 was the pinacle of the series.

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

If you’ve played one Ubisoft game you’ve played them all. Just like Bethesda. Difference being Bethesda gets killed for it and Ubisoft gets praise. 

From someone who doesn't play Ubisoft games.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

IMHO, Watch_Dogs 2 was the pinacle of the series.

From someone who doesn't play Ubisoft games.

Not true. I played the very first Assassin's Creed. Y’all been climbing the same lame ass fucking towers to unlock areas of the map ever since. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Not true. I played the very first Assassin's Creed. Y’all been climbing the same lame ass fucking towers to unlock areas of the map ever since. 

You get hung up on some weird stuff in games and miss out on a lot. You make fair points to an extent but we are talking about videogames. AND you will be playing this in a few months just watch. 

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You get hung up on some weird stuff in games and miss out on a lot. You make fair points to an extent but we are talking about videogames. AND you will be playing this in a few months just watch. 

Only if you buy it. No way I’d waste money on it. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Aren’t you unlocking the same guns over and over in CoD?

• Haha 1

Continues to look pretty good. I know Ubi open world games get a lot of hate, but I generally enjoy them. When they get the story and the world right, like with AC Odyssey, they can be great games. This sure looks promising on both setting and story. If the gameplay structure is any good this game could be awesome. Fingers crossed.

Ubisoft's next open-world adventure, Star Wars Outlaws, breaks at least one of the company's time-honored traditions: climbing towers to progress the map.

That's according to Game Informer's Brian Shea, who said on Twitter that Star Wars Outlaws creative director Julian Gerighty of Ubisoft's Massive Entertainment outright confirmed (in Shea's words) "there are not" any "towers you climb in the open world to unlock the map." 

What will we be doing instead of using binoculars or eagles or whatever universe-appropriate MacGuffin to scour the surrounding lands? Shea says, "from what I understand, it's just through exploration," meaning the world map's obscuring fog naturally clears up as you explore new areas.

• Shocked 1

On 4/10/2024 at 11:25 AM, Biggie said:

Then it is fortunate for me I rarely ever play Ubisoft games. Years ago I played and loved AC: Odyssey and years before that Ghost Recon Wildlands. This game may not feel fresh, but it shouldn’t feel so played out either.