~*D1P's Games of 2021*~

Commissar SFLUFAN

I finished Evoland II, Red Bow and My Big Sister.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (second playthrough)

The Takeover

Evoland

Evoland II

Red Bow

My Big Sister

Omori - 5/5

Sonic Mania - 3/5

Halo 4 - 3/5

Environmental Station Alpha - 3.5/5

Hollow Knight - 4/5

Dark Souls III - 4/5

Celeste - 5/5

Resident Evil 5 - 2.5/5 

Mario Odyssey - 4/5

Super Mario All-Stars - 4.5/5

Metroid Fusion Zero Mission - 4/5

Resident Evil Village - 4/5

Alien Isolation - 4.5/5

Death's Door - 5/5

Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC - 3/5 
Metroid Fusion - 4/5

Metroid: Samus Returns - 3.7?/5

Metroid Dread - 4/5

Resident Evil VII - 4/5 - Excellent atmosphere, felt tense throughout most of the game. Enemy variety is severely lacking. The machine gun is borderline useless.

A 5 star ranking system to me isn't great, but its what the tracking website I'm using uses. Village is a better game despite them both have 4.

Super Mario World Rom Hacks:

Quickie World

Quickie World 2

Baby Kaizo

Cute Kaizo

Orcus

Super Moo World

Super Joe Bros

Super Cindy World

Climbthetower

Super Mona World

I finished Everreach: Project Eden. To call it a poor man’s Mass Effect would be giving it too much credit, it’s more like a homeless man’s Mass Effect. :p

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

The Takeover

Evoland

Evoland II

Red Bow

My Big Sister

Everreach: Project Eden

UkfUypc.jpg

Enough's been said about it in the other thread recently, so I'll be general here.

It's rare that you see a game in a long running franchise hold up to classic entries in the way Metroid Dread does.  I'd go as far to say it's the 2D series' Metroid Prime moment.  It does justice to the franchise in a way that respects the roots while simultaneously flipping certain conventions on their head.  The story telling is also modernized, but in a way that feels absolutely effortless as opposed to whatever the hell Other M was.

This might not be my favorite 'style' of Metroid.  Part of me still longs for the isolated, decent-the-depths style of Super, which has better analogs in Samus Returns or Hollow Knight.  But Dread is so deftly executed on the whole that it convinced me I can love this too.  Drawing analogies to other Nintendo franchises, this is the same impression Galaxy 2 and Breath of the Wild left on me.  And like those games, I think Dread can be regarded an instant classic.

I'm giving it the same score as Zero Mission, which to me is the entry closest to it in its pacing.  But I'd rank Dread higher.

9.5/10

A few words on the difficulty: I think the bosses aren't quite as hard as they've been made out to be.  But I finished Samus Returns and got used to the difficulty there.  Mercury Steam designs bosses in a way where their attacks feel entirely avoidable, but will pile on if you get caught.  So they're both simultaneously easy and hard.  But there's also much more BS in Samus Returns' most difficult encounters.

Samus Returns isn't made redundant by this game, in spite of what critics are saying.  It's meatier and longer, albeit worse paced and less distinctive.  But if you liked Dread's bosses, I think SR's ending is almost as epic.

2021 games
Hades - 10
FFIX - 9  (8 without speed boosters)
Captain Toad - 8.5
Minit - 7.5

Yoku's Island Express - 8

Prince of Persia 2008 - 7.5

Oxenfree - 8

Shadow of the Colossus (remake) - 9
Hat in Time Seal the Deal DLC - 7.5
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 7.5
Bad North - 8
Metroid Zero Mission - 9.5/10
Metroid II: Samus Returns - 8.5/10

Metroid Dread: 9.5/10

Omori - 5/5

Sonic Mania - 3/5

Halo 4 - 3/5

Environmental Station Alpha - 3.5/5

Hollow Knight - 4/5

Dark Souls III - 4/5

Celeste - 5/5

Resident Evil 5 - 2.5/5 

Mario Odyssey - 4/5

Super Mario All-Stars - 4.5/5

Metroid Fusion Zero Mission - 4/5

Resident Evil Village - 4/5

Alien Isolation - 4.5/5

Death's Door - 5/5

Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC - 3/5 
Metroid Fusion - 4/5

Metroid: Samus Returns - 3.7?/5

Metroid Dread - 4/5

Resident Evil VII - 4/5

Deathloop - 3.5/5 - So close to being a better game, but just falls short. There is enough content in the early game that you have enough leads, main or side quest, to have multiple things to do during each phase of the day. As you progress though those leads get thinner and thinner until you are manually skipping phases and days just to advance those couple leads. It would be much less time consuming if you could just warp to the point of day that you need even if it branches you into a new day.

I wish there were more guns and more customization. It's just on the brink of being so much better, but again just falls short. Granted you can get pretty creative with some builds, like I had a gun that spouted a poison cloud and had a perk that enabled health regen when being in those clouds, but those kinds of builds are few and far between. Guns need a lot more fine tuning, whats the point of a pneumatic weapon when I can just get a LIMP10 with a quiet perk and some range attachments. It doesn't have to charge, shoots faster, larger magazine, ammo is more plentiful around the map. You can play run and gun with 2 of these and still almost never set off any alarms or get the attention of a large groups because how efficient they work. Whats the point of a fourpounder when I can get attach a rapier with a reload mod and get one shot kills regardless of where I hit the enemy and kill almost as quickly if I was getting consistent headshots with the fourpounder. Either bump up the gun count and customization count so you can truly make some unique weapons or fine tune the weapons to fit more niche roles. There is just too few weapons with certain perks that just outshine the rest and they aren't hard to get or find.

Character abilities just remind me of what little I played of Dishonored. I don't really have a ton to add here. Character perks were fine? Soundtrack was not memorable. Story was interesting, but the ending was so/so. I really liked the dynamic between Julianna and Colt, but they really only talk to each other at the beginning of levels. They should have leaned harder into that and had more communication throughout the game. Once you get to a certain point they don't even talk to each other at all during the level because Julianna only talks to you once you advance the main story (I think). Having her chime in on side quests would go a long way.

Super Mario World Rom Hacks:

Quickie World

Quickie World 2

Baby Kaizo

Cute Kaizo

Orcus

Super Moo World

Super Joe Bros

Super Cindy World

Climbthetower

Super Mona World

I finished The LEGO Movie Video Game, it was a cute and fun little action platform puzzle game with some good humor throughout.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

The Takeover

Evoland

Evoland II

Red Bow

My Big Sister

The LEGO Movie Video Game

Deathloop -- I REALLY liked this game. At the same time, I liked them despite noticeable warts. More in my reply.

2021 Games

Demon's Souls Remake (2nd playthrough)

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -- Trials and Tribulations

Days Gone

Astro's Playroom

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Ratchet & Clank (2016)

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time

Ratchet & Clank Future: Into The Nexus

Braid

Returnal

Resident Evil Village

Returnal (true ending)

Mass Effect 1

Mass Effect 2

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Mass Effect 3

Two-Point Hospital

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart NG+

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario Odyssey

Hades

The Great Ace Attorney Adventures

Returnal (2nd playthrough)

Streets of Rage 4

Deathloop

On 11/10/2021 at 10:57 AM, Nokt said:

Deathloop - 3.5/5 - So close to being a better game, but just falls short. There is enough content in the early game that you have enough leads, main or side quest, to have multiple things to do during each phase of the day. As you progress though those leads get thinner and thinner until you are manually skipping phases and days just to advance those couple leads. It would be much less time consuming if you could just warp to the point of day that you need even if it branches you into a new day.

I wish there were more guns and more customization. It's just on the brink of being so much better, but again just falls short. Granted you can get pretty creative with some builds, like I had a gun that spouted a poison cloud and had a perk that enabled health regen when being in those clouds, but those kinds of builds are few and far between. Guns need a lot more fine tuning, whats the point of a pneumatic weapon when I can just get a LIMP10 with a quiet perk and some range attachments. It doesn't have to charge, shoots faster, larger magazine, ammo is more plentiful around the map. You can play run and gun with 2 of these and still almost never set off any alarms or get the attention of a large groups because how efficient they work. Whats the point of a fourpounder when I can get attach a rapier with a reload mod and get one shot kills regardless of where I hit the enemy and kill almost as quickly if I was getting consistent headshots with the fourpounder. Either bump up the gun count and customization count so you can truly make some unique weapons or fine tune the weapons to fit more niche roles. There is just too few weapons with certain perks that just outshine the rest and they aren't hard to get or find.

Character abilities just remind me of what little I played of Dishonored. I don't really have a ton to add here. Character perks were fine? Soundtrack was not memorable. Story was interesting, but the ending was so/so. I really liked the dynamic between Julianna and Colt, but they really only talk to each other at the beginning of levels. They should have leaned harder into that and had more communication throughout the game. Once you get to a certain point they don't even talk to each other at all during the level because Julianna only talks to you once you advance the main story (I think). Having her chime in on side quests would go a long way.

As said above, I recently finished Deathloop, and I really really liked it. I also can't deny there's a lot of room for improvement.

• Despite the different weapons, you only really need a nail gun for stealth (and you can get probably the best nail gun in the library if you sneak around after finding out they have stockpiles), LIMP (I used one that heals me when I hit someone), and both the shotgun or one of the large-caliber weapons are fine for brute force. And you can get this stuff early, meaning you have your loadout for the rest of the game.
  • Kind of the same with slabs. Maybe there is a much better use than I found, but I can't think of any reason to use anything other than Aether (invisibility)/Shift (easy traversal on rooftops). Especially because...
  • The AI is really dumb. Apparently a recent patch improved it, to what level, I don't know. But man, did I take advantage of their bad AI. I don't even think the traits of the villains really mattered.
  • A better inventory setup would give you the ability to alphabetize, maybe even separate between offensive and defensive abilities. And each one just gets listed once, with a number that shows you how many of that particularly perk you have. Man, was the inventory messy.

That said, it was fun, I loved the dynamic between Colt and Julianna, and I think it's a cool game that's not really roguelike with its levels but certainly is with starting with nothing unless you infuse items. I liked how there was a certain setup in enemy placement/events depending on time of day, and stuff that just seems like it's there -- like a building being burned down or a door being locked -- is something you can prevent and change for that day. 

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. B

Links Awakening (Switch). A

Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope. B

South Park: The Fractured But Whole. B-

Control B+
Undertale B+
Golf Story B
Resident Evil: Village A

Final Fantasy 7: Remake B
Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes B+
Luigi’s Mansion 3 B

I finished Super Ninja Boy and Super Chinese World. The first being the SNES localization of the second which was a Super Famicom game. There a lot of differences besides the language so I've wanted to do this for a while. Most of the game is the same but if you start up both the look pretty different. Many of the background tiles are different including for the world map and many of the locations including town (what looks like a generic town on the world map in one has a castle in the other) are different. So the Japanese version has the starting town in a different position with a wall that isn't present in the English version with darker grass tiles. The inside of the town is different too.

The game is a JRPG but most of the battles are real time (bosses are usually turn based) and some of the battle areas are different between the games. There are also some action levels and those are often different with some present in one version and not the other. Some of the differences are due to censorship but most aren't. The music has minor differences too.

There is a minigame that costs 10 medals in the English version but 100 (the max you can carry) in the Japanese version. I managed to get the top prize in the Japanese version thanks to save states but gave up on the English version. There's a hidden shop that seems to only be in the English version where you can buy the prize but I didn't have enough money before finishing the game without it.

The average encounter rate isn't too bad but at it's worst it's the worst random encounter rate I've ever encountered. Sometimes you can go from one town to the next without a single random battle and other times you get one every few steps. What makes it the worst is that you can get in a random battle without taking a step. You're fine standing around but after a battle finishes there is a chance of an encounter right away even if you don't touch the controls.  

Late in the game you get a giant flying robot that serves as your no encounters airship. In the English version it switches to mode 7 while flying around letting you see more of the map but taking longer to take off and land. In the Japanese version there's no mode 7 and you can even use it in dungeons in sections where in the English version you'd need to use your boat or submarine letting you avoid battles (some battles when you get attacked on the water are underwater which are annoying because you move slow). There are some stairs near the end of the game that you can't reach in the English version but in the Japanese version you can fly over there (they just lead out of the dungeon).

The game is fairly short for an RPG so it wasn't too bad having to do everything twice. I'm pretty sure it had been over 20 years since I last played through the game and this was an interesting experience.

I finished Rabi-Ribi, it was a fun 2D side scrolling Metroidvania with a colorful and cute anime aesthetic.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

The Takeover

Evoland

Evoland II

Red Bow

My Big Sister

Rabi-Ribi

Finished Super Chinese World 2 (sequel to Super Chinese World aka Super Ninja Boy which is the sequel/spiritual successor to Super Chinese 2/Little Ninja Brothers). Back in the day either Game Pro or EGM listed Super Ninja Boy 2 as forthcoming but to my disappointment it never came. The ending of Super Ninja Boy cut a scene at the end that was in Super Chinese World that sets up Super Chinese World 2 so apparent it was already decided they weren't going to localize the sequel. Overall it's not that great of a sequel, only a fan of the series should bother with it now that there is a fan translation.

I finished Shadows of Adam, it was a fun little retro 16-bit style top-down view pixel art turn-based JRPG.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

The Takeover

Evoland

Evoland II

Red Bow

My Big Sister

Rabi-Ribi

Shadows of Adam

Finished Super Chinese World 3 finishing the trilogy. I finished it both with the action mode and turn based mode which are mostly the same but with a few differences besides how the battles work. It's pretty short for an RPG. The action battles were less annoying than in Super Chinese World 2 so I think I prefer 3 over 2 (though Super Ninja Boy/Super Chinese World is better than both sequels). The turn based mode was pretty easy until the last boss. I had the strongest punching gear so I finished the second and third last bosses in 1 or 2 hits without taking any damage. I had to spam my strongest multi-hit attacks and switch characters as each one got low on health to win.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished What Remains of Edith Finch, it was a short but bittersweet first person family history mystery that takes place in and around a big several story house.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

The Takeover

Evoland

Evoland II

Red Bow

My Big Sister

Rabi-Ribi

Shadows of Adam

What Remains of Edith Finch

On 11/8/2021 at 6:51 AM, crispy4000 said:

UkfUypc.jpg

Enough's been said about it in the other thread recently, so I'll be general here.

It's rare that you see a game in a long running franchise hold up to classic entries in the way Metroid Dread does.  I'd go as far to say it's the 2D series' Metroid Prime moment.  It does justice to the franchise in a way that respects the roots while simultaneously flipping certain conventions on their head.  The story telling is also modernized, but in a way that feels absolutely effortless as opposed to whatever the hell Other M was.

This might not be my favorite 'style' of Metroid.  Part of me still longs for the isolated, decent-the-depths style of Super, which has better analogs in Samus Returns or Hollow Knight.  But Dread is so deftly executed on the whole that it convinced me I can love this too.  Drawing analogies to other Nintendo franchises, this is the same impression Galaxy 2 and Breath of the Wild left on me.  And like those games, I think Dread can be regarded an instant classic.

I'm giving it the same score as Zero Mission, which to me is the entry closest to it in its pacing.  But I'd rank Dread higher.

9.5/10

A few words on the difficulty: I think the bosses aren't quite as hard as they've been made out to be.  But I finished Samus Returns and got used to the difficulty there.  Mercury Steam designs bosses in a way where their attacks feel entirely avoidable, but will pile on if you get caught.  So they're both simultaneously easy and hard.  But there's also much more BS in Samus Returns' most difficult encounters.

Samus Returns isn't made redundant by this game, in spite of what critics are saying.  It's meatier and longer, albeit worse paced and less distinctive.  But if you liked Dread's bosses, I think SR's ending is almost as epic.

2021 games
Hades - 10
FFIX - 9  (8 without speed boosters)
Captain Toad - 8.5
Minit - 7.5

Yoku's Island Express - 8

Prince of Persia 2008 - 7.5

Oxenfree - 8

Shadow of the Colossus (remake) - 9
Hat in Time Seal the Deal DLC - 7.5
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 7.5
Bad North - 8
Metroid Zero Mission - 9.5/10
Metroid II: Samus Returns - 8.5/10

Metroid Dread: 9.5/10

I dont feel like writing up a list like these threads require, that coming from me...whom can RAMBLE better than most..lol

I bought the switch metroid but shelved it for farcry 6,  shelved that for Ori and the Wisps. I'm really loving Ori, need to play the 1st now. Why oh why cant I get into Hades??? Everyone loves it so much??? I like Dead Cells but again havent come close to beating it damnit! So shout out for this year

1. RESIDENT EVIL 7

2. Ori wisps 

3. Far cry 6

4. Metroid (I'll get to it soon!)

5. Cyberpunk 2077

Finished Rudra no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudra). It a Square RPG from the end of the 16 bit generation when most development had already moved on to the next generation so it never got an official localization. I saw it on a list of games that never got localized a while back and finally got around to trying it. The fan translation has lots of minor mistakes. Graphics are similar to FFVI and Chrono Trigger but with more animation in battle. Music is good but nothing memorable.

There are 3 main characters that each get 3 supporting characters for each of their scenarios. You'll go to most of the same places but in different order and some events that seem spontaneous in one scenario will make sense once you get to the scenario where you trigger those events. It's woven together well but wears thin a bit the third time through. After finishing all 3 scenarios, the 3 mains and another character that was an NPC in those scenarios join up for a new end game scenario to get the true ending.

The mantra (magic) system is based on words up to 12 letters long. NPCs and treasure chests teach you mantras and you can also copy many enemy mantras. You generally have a basic word like LEF (healing spell) and add prefixes and suffixes to power it up. The YOU in YOULEFNA increases the power and cost while the NA makes it affect the whole party. You can experiment to create countless mantras but most are useless costing too much for how little damage they do. Best thing is to get recommendations on useful ones and upgrade them as you advance. You can create any mantra even at the beginning of the game but at that point you won't have enough MP so it's best to use weaker and cheaper mantras, gradually upgrading them. A good lightning elemental hit all mantra is the PCCB approved PREPAREUANUS. Two of the main characters can access an area early on with lightning weak enemies that give a ton of EXP and money in addition to dropping a weapon that one character can use and that sells for a lot.

If you're in to 16 bit JRPGs it's worth playing but it's no FFVI or Chrono Trigger. It's all round good but not amazing. Even if the scenario bosses are different, so areas are only accessible in some scenarios and common stuff is done in a different order, you're basically playing the game 3 times before the end game scenario. The scenarios aren't too long though and they do weave together a bit to form a larger story. I enjoyed it but I don't seem myself every revisiting it like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.