~*D1P's Games of 2021*~

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Fuuuuuck that. I only defeated on MKS the entire game and that was me getting lucky with a critical hit. I spammed Metal Slash to no avail.

Metal Slash is only really useful against regular Coward Metal Slimes. For Metal King Coward Slimes you're best bet is Hatchetman and Thunder Thrust. While they miss a lot, it's a guaranteed crit when they do hit. So as long as the slimes don't all run away before you get a chance to even attack there's a good chance that you'll get at least one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Resogun on Veteran mode. Took me all day yesterday. Which shows how much my reflexes have slowed with age. I used to find it so easy, now my eyes water trying to play it and I lose focus if I don't pause and take a break every 30 minutes. The constant explosions of red and green just kills my eyes after a while.

Such a good shoot em up tho.

• Like 1

New Super Mario Bros. U - :fap: 

Super Mario Odyssey - :fap: 

NSMBU is what you'd expect out of 2D Mario. Plenty of secrets and fun levels, a pretty cool final level/boss, but I have to say I haven't done Star World. I did a couple levels but decided I'd come back to it. As you'd expect, the most creative levels and platforming are found there.

SMO, can I just say that the hat is cute? Whenever it started reading you moves in the magazine, I'd tell my gf, "Isn't that hat cute?" and she'd look at me like :raisedbrow:. I got enough moons that I unlocked the Dark Side of the Moon, and I got to the last boss in that before dying. Bah! Loved the platforming and creative ways to utilize enemies via hat throw to get a ton more hats before deciding I was good for now. I really love how when you're finished, an entire world opens up and there's quite a bit of post-game content. A great package and one that gets me excited to eventually get to Sunshine and Galaxy.

Currently playing Hades, The Great Ace Attorney Adventures, and Super Mario Maker 2. Too many games!

2021 Games

Demon's Souls Remake (2nd playthrough)

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -- Trials and Tribulations

Days Gone

Astro's Playroom

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Ratchet & Clank (2016)

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time

Ratchet & Clank Future: Into The Nexus

Braid

Returnal

Resident Evil Village

Returnal (true ending)

Mass Effect 1

Mass Effect 2

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Mass Effect 3

Two-Point Hospital

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart NG+

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario Odyssey

On 8/31/2021 at 7:33 AM, heydude93 said:

Hades feels like the best of oldschool Blizzard games but modernized and trimmed of all fat.

RE8 is pretty good so far, but difficult for me to connect to on a story/character level. That intro was unexpectedly gripping though.

Psychonauts is my GOTY so far. I've always been a fan of DF's output and it feels like a quantum leap forward of progress on everything that makes their games fun.

I'm pretty sure I've played that Ninja Gaiden remaster trilogy more than anything else this year. lol Been waiting on it even longer than a Psychonauts sequel, so glad to finally have it available, even if it's the lesser ninja versions.

Aside from these (Excluding NG:MNC and Hades of course) I think the new Oddworld is the only other 2021 release I've played, (I'm roughly thirty minutes in).

Kena, Battlefield, Yakuza:LAD, Demon's Souls, R&C are at the top on my play next queue right now.

Playing through Hades right now. I started on Monday and was hooked immediately. I may be converting on my opinion of roguelikes after Returnal and Hades. I already loved Dead Cells.

I finished Assassin’s Creed Odyssey again, this time I played its DLC which I didn’t the first time that I played it. It took me roughly 200 hours to do just about everything in it which is the most amount of time that I’ve put in a game before.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (second playthrough)

Finished Save Me Mr Tako: Definitive Edition. It's kind of like Kirby but with hats instead of absorbing power and with way more story. Graphics are like a Game Boy game played on Super Game Boy or Game Boy Color. It was mostly enjoyable but most of the 50 hats are useless. Boss fights are broken but boss damage doesn't reset when you die so just have tons of lives and keep attacking but even then the final series of boss fights were annoying. One of the dungeons was OoT Water Temple level annoying (instead of raising or lowering the water level you turn off or on waterfalls), I wasted a ton of time because I missed one little switch on a ceiling. Doesn't look like a lot of people play the game as there was a lot of stuff that I tried googling and didn't find what I was looking for. The minigames were annoying but with the right hat or technique weren't too bad. I might try finishing it again now that I have all the hats and try to get some more optional stuff but I really didn't like that last series of boss fights so I might just move on to another game.

Hades - When a roguelike is done well, it's REALLY fucking good. Kudos to Returnal and Hades, both new releases (well, Hades is new to some places) this year that have solidified how much I dig a really fucking good.

The gameplay's addictive and I do see some Diablo similarities, but I have to say that the relationships that build with the gods is so, so good, and a lot of great items come your way when you take advantage of that sweet nectar.

2021 Games

Days Gone

Astro's Playroom

Ratchet & Clank (2016)

Braid

Returnal

Resident Evil Village

Returnal (true ending)

Mass Effect 1

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Two-Point Hospital

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario Odyssey

Hades

On 9/20/2021 at 6:17 PM, SaysWho? said:

SMO, can I just say that the hat is cute? Whenever it started reading you moves in the magazine, I'd tell my gf, "Isn't that hat cute?" and she'd look at me like :raisedbrow:. I got enough moons that I unlocked the Dark Side of the Moon, and I got to the last boss in that before dying. Bah! Loved the platforming and creative ways to utilize enemies via hat throw to get a ton more hats before deciding I was good for now. I really love how when you're finished, an entire world opens up and there's quite a bit of post-game content. A great package and one that gets me excited to eventually get to Sunshine and Galaxy.

Post-game in 3D Mario has been a thing since Galaxy 2.  Both 3D Land and 3D World also do it.

Odyssey's Darker Side is far from the hardest. :o  I have fond memories of tackling each of them.

9 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Post-game in 3D Mario has been a thing since Galaxy 2.  Both 3D Land and 3D World also do it.

Odyssey's Darker Side is far from the hardest. :o  I have fond memories of tackling each of them.

I haven't really been playing much 3D Mario at all, so this is new to me. 3D World I started, got halfway, and I've yet to get back to since that's my co-op game and we're playing others atm. But I'm sure we'll circle back.

Omori - 5/5

Sonic Mania - 3/5

Halo 4 - 3/5

Environmental Station Alpha - 3.5/5

Hollow Knight - 4/5

Dark Souls III - 4/5

Celeste - 5/5

Resident Evil 5 - 2.5/5 (slightly made better by co-op, but still not a good game)

Mario Odyssey - 4/5

Super Mario All-Stars - 4.5/5 (an actually good port to a new system cough3Dallstarscough)

Metroid Fusion Zero Mission - 4/5

Resident Evil Village - 4/5

Alien Isolation - 4.5/5

Death's Door - 5/5

Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC - 3/5 I blew through both of these in a day or 2. Wasn't really worth the money imo, I guess if you were really itching for a little more pokemon.

Super Mario World Rom Hacks:

Quickie World

Quickie World 2

Baby Kaizo - These 3 ^^ are good intro Kaizo hacks

Cute Kaizo - Relatively fun, there is one section in the last level that just doesn't match the difficulty of the rest of the game.

Orcus - Really enjoyed this one, a good scaling of difficulty, some good jams, had a ton of fun.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Hollow Knight - 5/5
Metroid Fusion - 3.5/5

;)

Hollow Knight's world just isn't that interesting to explore. It has some cool lore, but I don't think its worth the digging to find it. There is also a lot of back tracking because fast travel is so spread out. I get that exploration is what they were going for, but I'm just not that into it. I know that thats kind of the intention of the genre, but I feel they pushed it far past what I would consider enjoyable.

Metroid Fusion does a great job with its atmosphere and has a creepy, horror vibe to it that I really enjoy. Fusion has the opposite problem of Hollow Knight, there isn't enough exploration and its fairly linear for a metroidvania game.

EDIT: actually, I don't know why I even wrote Fusion, it was Zero Mission that I beat. I'm planning on playing fusion here shortly before I start Dread.

I thought Fusions linearity was death.  Locking you out of zones was a stupid idea. Even Other M of all games is less straight jacketed.  Fusion has good boss fights though.  It’s just in a no man’s land between an action platformer and Metroid proper.  Hopeful that Dread will rectify that.

Hollow Knight is big and bloated in some ways, but having just finished Samus Returns (more on that later), I think it does a lot more to keep its areas and pathways memorable.  I never found it dull personally.

I could see someone thinking Zero Mission is as good as Hollow Knight.  It’s the most streamlined 2D Metroid, in a good way.

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I thought Fusions linearity was death.  Locking you out of zones was a stupid idea. Even Other M of all games is less straight jacketed.  Fusion has good boss fights though.  It’s just in a no man’s land between an action platformer and Metroid proper.  Hopeful that Dread will rectify that.

Hollow Knight is big and bloated in some ways, but having just finished Samus Returns (more on that later), I think it does a lot more to keep its areas and pathways memorable.  I never found it dull personally.

I could see someone thinking Zero Mission is as good as Hollow Knight.  It’s the most streamlined 2D Metroid, in a good way.

I'm not really holding them to a rigid standard. Zero Mission is everything I would want a remake to be, it recreates the game in a very enjoyable way. Updated graphics, controls, audio, etc. Added additional content that is enjoyable. So it scores high on my list for those reasons. Not necessarily just the game is being accounted for. Meanwhile Hollow Knight is, I'm taking the game at face value, it doesn't have the baggage that Zero Mission does.

I've yet to play Samus Returns because I really don't want to pull my 3DS out.

Omori - 5/5

Sonic Mania - 3/5

Halo 4 - 3/5

Hollow Knight - 4/5

Dark Souls III - 4/5

Celeste - 5/5

Resident Evil 5 - 2.5/5 

Mario Odyssey - 4/5

Super Mario All-Stars - 4.5/5

Metroid Fusion Zero Mission - 4/5

Alien Isolation - 4.5/5

Death's Door - 5/5

Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC - 3/5 
Metroid Fusion - 4/5

Quickie World

Quickie World 2

Baby Kaizo

Cute Kaizo

Orcus 

I’m still going to give Fusion a 4/5. I honestly might have enjoyed it more than Zero Mission. What it lacks in exploration it makes up in other areas. It’s got some really refreshing boss battles, nightmare in particular is a really fun battle. It’s atmosphere is still really good. Tense, with a slight hint of fear and sometimes a sense of urgency. Though it is somewhat held back by the GBA’s audio. The story is more than what we usually get from a Metroid game and while it isn’t anything to write home about it’s got some decent twists and is a fun ride. 

Spoiler

The betrayal from the Federation, a secret Metroid breeding program, Adam (consciousness? Clone? Whatever) being placed into a computer. 

Though another setback is that it’s quite short if you want it to be. I finished with 3.5 hours and 60% items. Granted I do wish I had gone back and explored some sectors that I ignored, I really was trying to burn through this before Dread shows up tomorrow. 

Finished No One Lives Forever. Maybe the reason they couldn't figure out who owns the rights is because the rights holder is too ashamed. It was enjoyable with God Mode on (have to toggle it back on every time you load and ignore the text since if you enter the code, reload, enter the code again it will say God Mode Off but it's really on). Despite being such an old game and the framerate usually being vsynced to 144, the game was often choppy (gave me mild motion sickness) with some rubber banding around some geometry. The dialog autoskipped before finishing so to avoid missing any you have to read the subtitles while ignoring the voice acting so that you can get to the end in time. The second last level had a bugged timer that made it impossible to finish until I reloaded a save from the mission before and then when I got back to the other mission I was able to finish it first try. At least with it being free and God Mode I was able to enjoy it. Hopefully the second game runs better.

Omori - 5/5

Sonic Mania - 3/5

Halo 4 - 3/5

Hollow Knight - 4/5

Dark Souls III - 4/5

Celeste - 5/5

Resident Evil 5 - 2.5/5 

Mario Odyssey - 4/5

Alien Isolation - 4.5/5

Death's Door - 5/5

Metroid Fusion - 4/5

Metroid: Samus Returns - ?/5

Quickie World

Quickie World 2

Baby Kaizo

Cute Kaizo

Orcus

I'm conflicted on Samus Returns. On one hand I had a lot of fun playing, on the other there are a lot of little things that bother me.

- You a ton of upgrades at the beginning of the game, like 2x the normal amount you'd expect. It makes upgrades in general feel not a special.

- The Ice Beam is borderline useless outside of a few instances, I never played the original, so that might be the design, but its such a different gun throughout the rest of the series I couldn't help but be disappointed.

- I can't remember a single thing about the OST, I feel like I couldn't hear it for most of the game.

- I liked that the screw attack wasn't just a OHK for every enemy.

- The counter system needs some tweaking. Its annoying that if you manually aim or get hit or just take your aim off the stunned enemy it takes the normal amount of shots to kill them. Why? They are still stunned, the fact that I'm manually aiming or countering another enemy shouldn't affect that.

- The robot boss battle is just, not fun. So much time spent waiting for damage phase to open in the second half of the battle.

- The final 2 boss battles were fun. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't played it.

- Having all of the metroids around is fun and I felt enhanced exploration. I feel like I stumbled upon a lot of more missile and health upgrades due to looking for so many metroids.

- The cutscenes of countering metroids was cool. I feel like most of the time I was more concerned with keeping my distance or dodging that I never really got to see them much, so it was a treat when I did.

H2x1_3DS_MetroidSamusReturns_image1600w.

I'll be starting Dread tomorrow.  So for Samus Returns, I'll add some of my own thoughts ontop of what @Nokt said.

IMO, the game's biggest weakness is still the repetitive Metroid-killing part of the design.  It gates you from moving on artificially, which I suppose is better than locking things behind you (a la Fusion, parts of Other M).  You can turn your brain off for finding secrets once you're close to a Metroid.  They don't hide any power-ups in rooms with them, which is a huge missed opportunity.

I think it's really cool how early the Spider Ball is introduced.  They deserve some chops for still making the power-ups interesting after that point.  The Aeon stuff was a brilliant addition that reminds me of the Prime games, oddly enough.

That robot boss was awesome for me, except for the final form, which is straight up bullshit to get that final hit.  But I agree that the last few big encounters are awesome, sometimes in unexpected ways.  In those final moments especially it feels bigger than a 3DS game, and I can't wait to see how they follow up to that with Dread.

The map design also deserves some major cred outside of the Metroid rooms.  It's really good stuff, and like Zero Mission, feels almost like a brand new Metroid game in the vein of Super.  Only problem is that the palette and music changes don't do quite enough to delineate.  It gets a better later on, but you still get a sense of deja vu too often.  Maybe some of that was inevitable with needing to adhere to the Gameboy game in spirit.

There's some minor balance stuff I'd change, like the ice beam slowing the game to a crawl for a time, with how many shots it takes to kill anything with it.  The counter thing didn't bug me nearly as much, especially when it helped rectify that pacing issue.

Overall, it's a fantastic game, in the upper echelon of 2D Metroids.  The only major thing it lost by being on 3DS was not running at 60fps, when the rest of the series does.  If the game ever gets an emulated patch or Switch re-release that does, bump my score up a half a point.

8.5/10

2021 games
Hades - 10
FFIX - 9  (8 without speed boosters)
Captain Toad - 8.5
Minit - 7.5

Yoku's Island Express - 8

Prince of Persia 2008 - 7.5

Oxenfree - 8

Shadow of the Colossus (remake) - 9
Hat in Time Seal the Deal DLC - 7.5
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 7.5
Bad North - 8
Metroid Zero Mission - 9.5/10
Metroid II: Samus Returns - 8.5/10

• Like 1

Currently doing a new run of Returnal. That fucking game.

Also just finished The Great Ace Attorney Adventures and am going to the second game, Resolve. Great Ace Attorney changes what you expect from a Great Ace game. it does put in a jury system, which adds a new element of convincing jurors that they're guilty verdict is wrong, and it puts in Deductions by Herlock Sholmes. 

But there's quite a bit that happens that isn't with the formula story-wise. Ace Attorney is known for its outlandish characters, crazy plot twists, etc., but if you've played a bunch of Ace Attorney games, you know there's usually an investigation->trial->investigation->trial pattern in the cases. In the first Great Ace game, that's not always the case, and the pattern is just based on whatever the case demands. There are also story beats that never happened in the first four games (haven't played Ace Attorney 5/6 yet). In that way, it was refreshing. On the other hand, the first case drags, and by the fourth case out of five, you wonder if they're really going to resolve all the plot threads.

Then the fifth case happens, and they indeed do. Mostly. This was clearly a story that had two games in mind, so there are some things that aren't resolved but the game makes clear it didn't forget. And having started The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve, I can tell you that they waste no time in continuing those threads in spectacular fashion. The fifth case of the first game was a stand-out, as was the third in its own way, but the fifth was definitely that epic, "Holy shit, I got you, fucker," feeling you know and love from the older games. I also think the character arcs really started to pay off at the end of the game and excited me about returning to these characters in the sequel.

Really looking forward to the rest of 2's cases. For now, huge credit to the GAA1-5 case for not letting me down.

2021 Games

Days Gone

Astro's Playroom

Ratchet & Clank (2016)

Braid

Returnal

Resident Evil Village

Returnal (true ending)

Mass Effect 1

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Two-Point Hospital

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario Odyssey

Hades

The Great Ace Attorney Adventures

• Shocked 1

I finished The Takeover. It’s a fairly average arcade style side scrolling beat-em-up. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it’s not as good as the classics. The graphics and music are really good, but everything else is middle-of-the-road. The levels are strictly linear left to right layouts, the gameplay is a little slow and stiff, your move set is fairly limited, there’s not many different enemy types and there’s a severe lack of melee weapons.

2021 games

Cyberpunk 2077

The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

Crossing Souls

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (second playthrough)

The Takeover

Finished Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass last night and did a bit of post game stuff but not worth it so I'm done. I enjoyed it but RPG Maker really sucks if they can't even support controllers properly. I had to disable controllers in order to get a controller working and had to use my Xbox One controller instead of my Switch Pro controller and then find a recommended button mapping (to avoid trying to figure out what Button 1, 2, 3... are and map them to letters) and ignore in game prompts that refer to keys. Again, I enjoyed the game but I don't plan on playing anymore RPG Maker games.

Finished Yoku's Island Express. I'll probably attempt to activate all the scarabs tomorrow but it looks like it'll be a bit of a pain (they seem to appear and disappear on the in game map with different markers, IGN has a map of their locations and one spot had a mark that looked like the markers IGN uses but there is no scarab there and the mark disappears when close to the area, I found some other scarabs and activated them and they showed as activated on the map but later I checked again and they show as not activated) which has soured my otherwise good opinion of the game. The game crashed once but there are frequently check points so I didn't lose anything.

The scarabs weren't so bad once I had enough of them that the real markers started appearing. It was annoying that the map had what looked like a dull version of the icon that would disappear and reappear and that there wasn't really any explanation of how it works but I get it now. The scarabs open partially and then you have to activate them again to fully open them. Once you get enough activated the icons like the ones on the IGN map start appearing so just explore until you see one of the map, go activate it and repeat until the achievement pops up.

Fun little pinball-metroidvania game.

• Like 1

Returnal again -- Twas fun to go back to this world. And damn, after getting into it again for just another 10 or 20 minutes, I didn't die for two full biomes. Third one once again was harder, but even then, my number of deaths was waaayyyy smaller. I feel like in the shorter time I played this, I actually found more cyphers. A second playthrough gave me even more of an appreciation for the fourth boss. The build, music, and stages of the boss are REALLY fucking fun. Doesn't even matter that I didn't die; it was just fun.

Streets of Rage 4 - Old-school beat-em-up that was a lot of fun. If you enjoyed the old Streets of Rage games, I see no reason why you'd possibly dislike this. I did enjoy the areas where AI would fight each other and thought that added a fun wrinkle to what's a pretty simple type of game, and I found out after my first playthrough that the arcade machines aren't just for getting items. This is a game that has fun with the past but doesn't just repeat the past far as I remember. I'll have to play a bunch more times to get all the extra characters, and it should make for some fun couch co-op.

2021 Games

Days Gone

Astro's Playroom

Ratchet & Clank (2016)

Braid

Returnal

Resident Evil Village

Returnal (true ending)

Mass Effect 1

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Two-Point Hospital

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario Odyssey

Hades

The Great Ace Attorney Adventures

Returnal (2nd playthrough)

Streets of Rage 4

Finished the main story of Boot Hill Heroes. It ended sooner than expected as it's part 1 of 3 (only 2 games so far though). I suspect the second game will be the same. Still have some post game quests to do. It's a Western themed RPG and I enjoyed it. I encountered a story event that got stuck but I was able to load the autosave and it worked the second time. There was another spot where a character was blocking a door but I was able to enter the building anyway but when I exited I was trapped but mounting horses got me unstuck. Besides that every time I start the game the task bar is visible so I have to hit F3, drag the window a bit and then hit F1 which is a bit of a pain since the keyboard is at my desk but the wireless mouse is on the couch arm rest but it's not too bad.

Omori - 5/5

Sonic Mania - 3/5

Halo 4 - 3/5

Hollow Knight - 4/5

Dark Souls III - 4/5

Celeste - 5/5

Resident Evil 5 - 2.5/5 

Mario Odyssey - 4/5

Alien Isolation - 4.5/5

Death's Door - 5/5

Metroid Fusion - 4/5

Metroid: Samus Returns - 3.7?/5

Metroid Dreadn - ?/5 Probably a 4. Fun game, had way more production value than I thought it would. Good story, decent environments, tight controls, maybe not as much back tracking as I would have wanted. EMMI areas pissed me off, seems like they really want to push the stealth option, but honestly its much easier just to be fast. Bosses were fun. Soundtrack left me wanting something with more impression.

Quickie World

Quickie World 2

Baby Kaizo

Cute Kaizo

Orcus

Super Moo World - Super easy hack, except for one specific part. Highly recommend if you are wanting to try a Super Mario World Kaizo hack.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. B

Links Awakening (Switch). A

Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope. B

South Park: The Fractured But Whole. B-

Control B+
Undertale B+
Golf Story B
Resident Evil: Village A

Final Fantasy 7: Remake B
Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes B+

Finished Boot Hill Bounties. My imported save from Boot Hill Heroes made me overpowered (I didn't mind) and I didn't have to worry about money since I sold almost everything before importing (I should have kept my reagents and ingredients). I quite enjoyed the series and hope the last game of the trilogy gets released soon (as far as I know it hasn't been announced). It doesn't seem like many people know about it so it can be difficult to find information. The save files are just xml files so they can be easily edited but I only made one change for the first game to get the last achievement that is now impossible to get without doing that. The second game has the same visible taskbar issue but it's easy enough to fix (just have to do it each time you start the game. I gave up on the last achievement in the second game that requires you to get every battle bonus because there is no list anywhere (the dev has a partial list but after getting those I'm still missing at least 1) so I don't think it's worth putting in anymore time.

If you like quirky JRPGs like Earthbound and/or Westerns give the series a try. On sale you can get the whole series so far for about $5.