Report: The first Apple Silicon Macs will be the MacBook Pro and Air

Jason

The Air seems like the obvious place to start, though I might have guess that a mini might join it since they pretty much already have those going with the dev units.

Launching with the Pro indicates they have faith in their performance, which isn't much of a surprise.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, foosh said:

With remote work gaining traction, i wouldn't be surprised if overall total laptop sales started decline and people went back to desktops. A mac mini should be priority for that scenario.

Yeah, but travel will eventually be possible again, and people able to work remotely are going to want the ability to work from wherever once travel resumes, not just a desktop at home.

They could have easily made the Apple TV into something way way way cooler than it is.

Apple stumbled ass backwards like a gang of drunken monkeys into controlling the most successful gaming platform in the history of the world. They really have no idea how to do gaming... it's not in their DNA. It's very weird, but yes, they could be a major player with minimal effort (well, minimal for the worlds richest company). They have all the pieces in place, they just need to make the play.

15 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I’m curious how the performance differs, if all three computers are using the same chip. 

I am also very curious. I'm going to get either an Air or the Pro, but I don't really know how much more I'm actually getting for the extra $300 bucks.

6 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Also, only up to 16GB of RAM? It says “Unified”, and I know that Apple devices tend to handle RAM better than Windows, but that still seems awfully low. 

Well it's not like these things will support any games. :p

2 hours ago, ort said:

USB4, but Thunderbolt 3 (not 4)

macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-ports.jpg
WWW.MACRUMORS.COM

The new M1-equipped MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini are each equipped with two USB-C ports that support USB 4 and Thunderbolt, but as it turns...

Hooray, something to add to the clusterfuck of there being absolutely zero indication what a USB-C cable is capable of until you plug it in and find out.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hooray, something to add to the clusterfuck of there being absolutely zero indication what a USB-C cable is capable of until you plug it in and find out.

That's kind of the point of USB4. It's supposed to bridge Thunderbolt 3 and USB4 under one standard without having to move to a new physical connector. Thunderbolt 4 is where it gets stupid.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's kind of the point of USB4. It's supposed to bridge Thunderbolt 3 and USB4 under one standard without having to move to a new physical connector. Thunderbolt 4 is where it gets stupid.

But there's already a fucking mess of USB-C cables out there that do a wide variety of things. You can even buy USB 2.0 cables with Type C connectors! It's just fucking beyond me that they didn't stick with the color coding like they've used on the USB 3.0 Type A connectors so that you can actually tell what the cable can do just by looking at it. 

I just bought a new 13" pro last month. I was thinking of returning it and getting one of the new M1 chip ones but I would lose 2 ports (I have 4 right now). I think I'll stick with mine. It's not like I need that faster performance. This macbook is already crazy fast. The almost double battery life is tempting though.

If they had the option for 4 ports I would consider it but with only two it's already limited since the charger takes up one. 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

But there's already a fucking mess of USB-C cables out there that do a wide variety of things. You can even buy USB 2.0 cables with Type C connectors! It's just fucking beyond me that they didn't stick with the color coding like they've used on the USB 3.0 Type A connectors so that you can actually tell what the cable can do just by looking at it. 

Well, yes. There is that, but that was bound to happen. USBC-A cables didn't fully adhere to their standard and USB-C cables running at 2.0 aren't really at spec, there just cheap to make.

Either way, I feel that pain. Also, don't get started with the fact that even a full speed USB-C 3.1 cable might but be able to handle 60w charging. I've made it a point that EVERY USB-C-USB-C cable in my house can handle 60w and higher and that every USB-C charger also offers up 60w or more. That means if you see a cable in my house, it'll charge a phone, laptop, Switch, or whatever. I just toss out anything else.

I really want to know more about what the fan in the Pro does or does not do.

Are we looking at the kind of deal where it doesn't matter at all and the Air and the Pro are equals and paying more for the Pro is silly and the fan is never used or barely matters?

Are we looking at the Air being seriously handicapped and not being able to get anywhere near the Pro due to the lack of heat dissipation?

Surely the truth is in the middle, but where?

Apple really didn't give us many real world numbers on these things. Hopefully reviewers have them now and the embargo lifts sooner rather than later. It should since they ship next week.