Retro Studios expanding HQ for ramped up Metroid Prime 4 development

crispy4000

• crispy4000 changed the title to Retro Studios expanding HQ for ramped up Metroid Prime 4 development
34 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I would play the Metroid Prime trilogy if they update it and give it straight up FPS controls. Maybe they have, I dunno. I never played after the first one cuz I couldn't stand the lock-on mechanics.

The Trilogy re-release all had FPS pointer controls.  Retro didn't take the lock-on mechanics out though.  They're crucial to how the boss encounters play out with all the circle-strafe jumping, IMO.

Prime 3 did have some bosses where you had to free aim a bit more.  But the best approach was still to hold the lock-on while moving the cursor away from screen center.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

The Trilogy re-release all had FPS pointer controls.  Retro didn't take the lock-on mechanics out though.  They're crucial to how the boss encounters play out with all the circle-strafe jumping, IMO.

Prime 3 did have some bosses where you had to free aim a bit more.  But the best approach was still to hold the lock-on while moving the cursor away from screen center.

Fair enough. I guess I should re-phrase it. I don't think it was the "lock on" so much as it was the free aim where you had to hold the button and move the c stick around. Still, I'd give it a try.

43 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Fair enough. I guess I should re-phrase it. I don't think it was the "lock on" so much as it was the free aim where you had to hold the button and move the c stick around. Still, I'd give it a try.

Yeah, you can look anywhere without having to stop with pointer controls.

I'll always be curious about this project just because Metroid Prime in general is one of my favorite series in gaming with the first Prime being one of my favorite games hands down. It's a shame MP4 has been a whole lot of nothing for so many years, I'd love to see at least a screenshot.

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

I definitely see this being a BOTW/TP situation where it’s released for the current switch at the same time as the switch 2 enhanced version.

Apart from quite hardcore Nintendo fans, would the fourth game in a series really be the sort of thing to launch a new console with? (Speaking very hypothetically here). 

I do agree it sounds as though it will have that cross over, but I wonder if we’re going to be looking at a reboot rather than a follow up.

4 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Apart from quite hardcore Nintendo fans, would the fourth game in a series really be the sort of thing to launch a new console with? (Speaking very hypothetically here). 

I do agree it sounds as though it will have that cross over, but I wonder if we’re going to be looking at a reboot rather than a follow up.

I don’t think there is any reason why Prime couldn’t break into more mainstream. Like, I know in reality it isn’t at the moment, but I feel like the core of the game could be something more popular and that the switch is a system with a user base that is going to be more interested in it than the small GC user-base or the more casual Wii user-base.

People who grew up with Super Metroid and such always think of Metroid as one of Nintendo’s core ips when it really has never actually sold that much. I think part of that is untapped potential in the brand.

I think a soft reboot would be the way to go and this is there moment, I’m really excited to see what this eventually becomes and am really glad they axed the bamco project.

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I think it's less about making it a launch title to entice people to buy the new console, and more that because it's taking so long to come out, that by the time it is ready it might as well be on the Switch successor, as well as any other big name games to launch with it. 

Really all depends on when the Switch successor is announced, because if it's before we even see anything from Prime 4, I think it would be a safe bet that they announce it's shifted focus to now go to the new system. 

Whether or not they make it a cross gen title is a different story.