Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update (04/18): "Invoker Archetype" reveal trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just booted it up and there's almost a 7 GB update. Any idea what its for?

Update notes:

WWW.REMNANTGAME.COM

Remnant II, the much-anticipated sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, is an even bigger and better survival action shooter from Gunfire Games.

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ve heard that each area has 4 possible configurations they can roll. I don’t know if that means each area has at least 4 unique events or bosses requiring you to eventually roll each configuration of each area at least once. 

Waiting for my co-op buddy to be available ive been rerunning the adventure mode of the first zone we had, and ive had pretty unique experiences 3 different times.  Same final boss though and I know there was at least a 2nd main boss for this zone.

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You mean the Handler class? Smart choice for solo. I just picked the Handler as my subclass.

Yes, Handler. Don’t know how I mixed those up. One is a class in every RPG, and the other is what you have if you’re a spy. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Waiting for my co-op buddy to be available ive been rerunning the adventure mode of the first zone we had, and ive had pretty unique experiences 3 different times.  Same final boss though and I know there was at least a 2nd main boss for this zone.

Seems right. I know the dungeons can randomize. Not just layout, but also the boss/event inside. 

On 8/8/2023 at 6:31 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah you're playing on Veteran. That's the equivalent of HARD in most games. That's the one I'm playing on. I don't think you can adjust difficulty once you've started a game though. Any way, here's a boss fight I did. One of the few I remembered to record

@best3444 this should give you an idea if this game is for you. It's pretty tough... this was my sixth or seventh try when I finally beat him.

I just fought this guy, and it was completely different. We went to like another plane of existence, he was warping all over the place. It was wild. Maybe it’s because I let him 

Spoiler

Eat me. :lol:

____
I’ve been playing on the easiest difficulty, and it definitely feels approachable up to this point. Most normal encounters are fun and engaging but I never really feel in danger. A couple of the bosses felt overwhelming when I first faced them, but it only took a couple attempts each to figure them out. I would probably be fine on the middle difficulty, but also this was a good choice for me now, so I can get through it once relatively quickly and say I actually finished a game this summer. :p

On 8/14/2023 at 1:04 PM, BasemntDweller2 said:

Still stuck in a game breaking bug. I check to see if its fixed every so often 

maybe check it now. Might be fixed. 

remnant-2-screenshot-4.webp
MP1ST.COM

Read on for the Remnant 2 update 1.000.009 patch notes (Xbox versions 1.0.0.13), which lists performance and progression fixes and more.

Oof. I was breezing through the game (on the lowest difficulty) only to be utterly humbled by the final boss. Hot damn is that thing intense! 

It made me realize that I should probably go back and engage with some of these systems more, because my main Handler class wasn’t maxed out, and the one subclass I have (Alchemist) is only level 4. So I’m going to spend some time in adventure mode, hopefully get a boost that way. 

Tried adventure mode with friends and slide the difficulty up from survivor by one. We did a roll of blood born planet and N’Erud. Got some encounters I have not gotten before. 

Im secondary medic right now using the shield skill, with Engineer primary. I have a ring that allows summons to life steal 5% base damage, another ring that allows me to share 50% of self healing to allies, and an amulet that gives me two skill charges and double heavy ammo. I’m also using the cube gun and the mod to block damage, and a ring that gives me 200x mod power per amount healed. With my last ring reducing skill cooldowns when I get a crit, which it can do every 2 seconds. 

It’s definitely come in clutch. The turret heals the whole party when it does damage and it has twice the ammo it used to so it can last much of a boss fight. All the healing then gives me mod power when I can use to block damage or send a cube of damage into enemies. 

Final boss is down. Once I figured out his patterns he's not too tough. I can get through his first phase without losing health at all for the most part. The second phas eis tricky but once you figure out the gimmick to the fight it becomes more manageable. Great game and I look forward to rerolling levels and exploring shit I missed. This is definitely one of my top games of the year so far. I fully expect we'll get some decent DLC as well. The first game gave us two DLC expansions (that I still need to complete BTW). I ended up beating the game with Gunslinger as my Primary and Alchemist as my secondary. The dog is pretty much useless in that final battle. I'll upload the video of the fight tpmorrow for those interested. Now to focus on Dead Island 2 and Final Fantasy before Armored Core drops Friday.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The dog is pretty much useless in that final battle.

Can it not pick you up? I also found the dog to be kind of useless against those guys that burst into flames when you shoot them. They set the dog on fire and the dog just rolls to out out the flames. 

I was disappointed to find the third skill for the of the Engineer, the rail gun when left in turret mode doesn’t fire at enemies. It shoots the ground for an aoe shockwave blast at its location. It’s good if you use it to guard an area or choke point where it is strong enough kill enemies, but larger enemies that can just run right past it are barely affect at all. It’s feels more situational. But boy does it’s do a bunch of damage when being carried if you hit a weak point. 

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Sha’Hala: Spectral Guardian of N’Erud is by far the most annoying boss I’ve faced so far. You spend so much time dodging its attacks, you barely get a chance to attack. I finally beat it, but that was some bullshit. 

Don't think I fought that one. Wait until you get to the last two bosses though:p

36 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Sha’Hala: Spectral Guardian of N’Erud is by far the most annoying boss I’ve faced so far. You spend so much time dodging its attacks, you barely get a chance to attack. I finally beat it, but that was some bullshit. 

we fought the other variant in my adventure world roll, but my friend also has that world roll and we’re going to try that boss. 

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't think I fought that one. Wait until you get to the last two bosses though:p

I think the final boss does better at telegraphing its attacks and giving you clear times to attack. Like once I had a pretty good grasp on its attack patterns I could keep dodging and chip away. This fucker I’m talking about fires bullshit at you from all angles to where it’s almost impossible to dodge everything, so your brief windows of attack are often spent healing, and eventually it wears you down.

But this could also be the difference between difficulty levels, since I was playing the campaign (which I just finished) on the easier difficulty, and fought Sha’Hala on the middle one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I assume I’ll end up needing a trainer for this but from @skillzdadirecta’s impressions it sounds like I’ll get further in this than AC until I need that, and it’s only $35 on cdkeys, so I started this one! 

Lbr, I mostly wanted to see the nanite in action here as I heard it was more impressive here than Immortals (though Immortals had that lumen) and it is indeed quite awesome! There is something very next gen feeling about the lod transitions/lack of pop in. It’s something you really need to see in person to appreciate. 

I played through the tutorial and just got to where you touch the first crystal. I’m assuming I should read up on what happened in Remnant 1? Game seems like a lot of fun and shooting is super punchy which I love, let’s see how far until I get skill checked!

Included in the upcoming patch:

Unless something goes horribly wrong, it's looking like we will have something ready this week!

Here are a few things to look forward to:

Toggle Aim
Hold Sprint
Potato Mode
PS Icon Selection
Coop Item Pickup Hitch Fix
Weapon Deconstruction (Material Refund)
Engineer Mist Dash Enabled
Engineer Back Evade Stamina Fix
Dozens of Enemy Updates
Many Weapon & Mod Fixes
Many Trinket & Item Fixes
Many Consumable Fixes
Proper EXP rewards with Summons last-hitting (this includes Minions, Companion, and Turrets).

... and lots more!

This patch is mostly about bug fixes and performance updates with a bit of Q.O.L, too! Let's go!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - upcoming patch information posted
  • 2 weeks later...

Played some more of this today and it really does seem quite good. Wish I had played it when it came out and wasn’t bouncing between so many games. It kind of reminds me if the village from RE4 was the whole game and also a rogue lite. The gunplay feels really fantastic in this and I love picking people off from far away with the pistol. Especially since far away looks so detailed here on UE5. I could see it being very addictive…but I also can see myself needing cheats at some point (made some progress today though!)

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "DLC 1 - The Awakened King" Teaser Trailer (November 17)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "Ritualist Archetype" reveal trailer

Back in August, Remnant 2 principal designer Ben Cureton told the RPG's players to git gud. In response to complaints about the RPG's punishing, accurately named Apocalypse difficulty, Cureton argued that, "it's called Apocalypse. It's not called 'I get 3 orange slices and a medal for participation.'"

Well, folks, Remnant 2 will now give you three orange slices and a participation medal for playing Apocalypse difficulty, and it's one of my favorite Easter eggs of the year. 

As Cureton revealed in a tweet earlier this week: "I may have been too harsh. In the recent update, we made sure players could obtain three Orange Slices and a Participation Medal for playing on Apocalypse. You do not have to own the DLC, you just need to have the latest build." As a kicker, he teased that you can "use them together for an extra buff." 

This is AWESOME! :lol::rofl:

• Haha 3

My friends and I started the DLC this past Friday. I kicked the difficulty up to Nightmare difficulty and at first it was quite brutal. It had me go back to the engineer + medic build I used before. It has also forced us to stay together more than we had gotten used to. 

I like some of the new enemies so far and dislike others. Not a fan of the ugly green and blue things. Maybe it’s the difficulty but they feel too much to appear in such numbers. They’re not so bad 1v1, but with more than that we often feel the need to kite them through choke points or into large open areas with lots of room to move and dodge. 

• Halal 1

Game Information
Game Title: Remnant II - The Awakened King

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Nov 14, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 14, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 14, 2023)

Developer: Gunfire Games
Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 84 average - 90% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10

Remnant 2: The Awakened King DLC is filled with things to do and find, and a promising indication of things to come.

CGMagazine - Matt Keith - 9 / 10

Remnant 2: The Awakened King is an excellent addition to an already solid game. It offers a unique new Story and provides a new perspective on a previously explored zone. Additionally, it offers new lore, weapons, gear and Archetype for veteran players to experiment with.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 9 / 10

Remnant II: The Awakened King brings a fae-touched and spooky new story and zone to a game packed with content. Though I personally found the experience almost frustratingly hard, more skilled players are likely to breeze through and enjoy what is undoubtedly the best new zone and archetype in the game.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 84 / 100

The Awakened King adds a substantial amount of excellent content, combat, and loot to the moody, gothic-inspired Losomn world of Remnant 2. Everything that was great about Remnant 2 remains in place. The new, handcrafted environments and deliberately-paced narrative blend pretty seamlessly into the base game. Remnant 2 remains a not-impossible challenge for solo players, but a near-perfect one for a small squad of action-loving friends.

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 8 / 10

Remnant II: The Awakened King is a gratifying experience. As a one-shot adventure that players can jump into regardless of whether or not they have completed the main campaign makes it approachable for all players, new or veteran.

Destructoid - Steven Mills - 8 / 10

Remnant 2: The Awakened King doesn’t do anything too wild or reinvent the wheel, but that’s probably for the best, as the core game is already fantastic. It adds more content to an already outstanding action RPG and continues building on the scale and depth of its world. Content-wise, there’s plenty there with a handful of new bosses, dungeons, and an all-new Archetype. If Remnant 2 already had its hooks in you with the base game, you’ll like what Gunfire Games has to offer here. If you haven’t, now is as good a time as any.

Fextralife - Castielle - 8 / 10

Remnant II: The Awakened King DLC is a worthy addition to the ever-growing content of Remnant II. The new Equipment, Class, enhancements, and especially the level design provided an enjoyable and immersive experience that will keep players engaged for a good while.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5

Even without the niceties of a new mode or that significant an addition to the overarching plot, The Awakened King's exciting array of loot to acquire, an impressively-built setting to explore and fights to conquer serve as a promising start to Gunfire's post-launch support for Remnant II. That the team have proven once again they can offer even more means for players to further experiment and tinker with their set-up is a testament to just how impressive a delivery the sequel remains and how exciting future prospects may look in the coming months.

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 4 / 5

Remnant 2’s first DLC, The Awakened King, is a change to how Gunfire Games tells its stories, and in that regard, it does a great job. However, adding a handful of new locations tossed into the pool of existing locations is frustrating as I encountered the older locations more than I did with the newer locations. This meant I constantly re-rolled my adventure until I encountered the new stuff. This needs to be addressed for this DLC to be worthwhile to new and existing Remnant 2 players. But outside of that, I enjoyed the DLC, and the closure to the storyline that started in the base game was refreshing.

NoobFeed - Jay Claassen - 70 / 100

Remnant 2 - The Awakened King might be a one-shot adventure, but it’s completely worth playing if you’re after a bit more mystery and some new lore as to the worlds in Remnant 2. The only drawback is the lack of enemy variety and special sound, but these can still be overlooked, and you’ll just need to be careful with where you walk, or you might find yourself on the unforgiving end of a few nasty ranged attacks.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "The Awakened King" DLC reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - Class Build guides from Fextralife
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - now available on Xbox/PC Game Pass