The August 23 Floriduh and New York Primaries Thread

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nadler is a NIMBY, but Maloney is way worse, so a win I guess. Among other things she NIMBYed a bike lane in front of her Manhattan building and then recently a cyclists got creamed by a truck because of no bike lane.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nadler is a NIMBY, but Maloney is way worse, so a win I guess. Among other things she NIMBYed a bike lane in front of her Manhattan building and then recently a cyclists got creamed by a truck because of no bike lane.

Maloney is bad across the board not just a nimby but dabbles in anti vax stuff too!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Republicans are shook

53 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is a fun read if you want to smoke some of that hopium.

The Conventional Wisdom was that Republican Marcus Molinaro would win this, perhaps easily. While this was a Democratic-held seat, it was only a 50-48 Biden seat—the kind of terrain Republicans need to take if they want to retake the House. If this was a typical midterm climate, it wouldn’t be close. A DCCC poll just last week had the Republican leading by three, 46-43. Democratic pollster Data for Progress (foolishly?) released a poll Tuesday morning giving Molinaro an eight-point lead, 53-45. 

None of that seemed surprising. Molinaro wasn’t some random Q-loving nut. He was quite literally the best Republican House recruit in the entire country. He ran for governor in 2018. And while Andrew Cuomo stomped him statewide, 60-36, Molinaro actually won this district. It was supposed to be his people, and especially so in this “red wave environment.” Instead, the Democratic victory gave them the biggest jolt of good news the entire cycle.

• Halal 2

Nikki Fried said she would join Crist's ticket if asked and did NOT shy away when asked if Biden should come to the state:

Answer begins at 4:35:

"Look at all the things President Biden has been able to accomplishment in just two years. Record number of judges that have been appointed in his first years, diverse judges. We passed an incredibly large infrastructure bill and then the inflation reduction bill that was passed last year. These are huge momentum issues that transcend politics... and these are also issues that are not just help our economy, help the voters of our state, these are huge successes from the Biden administration, and we as Democrats can't shy away from successes not just of President Biden, but of the Democratic majority in the House and Senate. So we have an opportunity to boast about the accomplishments of Washington and President Biden, this should be something that we embrace and bring President Biden here to the state of Florida.

12 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Something is different about the parties, i just can't put my finger on it.  The GOP has become a royal rumble, everyone for themselves.

Trump taught Republicans everywhere how to be massive crybabies. You can never lose an election if evil (((globalists))) steal it from you. 

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

Trump taught Republicans everywhere how to be massive crybabies. You can never lose an election if evil (((globalists))) steal it from you. 

I've been waiting for Republicans to implode for so long.

I hoped in 2008, evangelicals would split and make their own party. Never happened, but they did lose bad temporarily.

I was hoping in 2016 that Trump would destroy all the other Republicans and destroy the party from within. They won everything.

I was hoping Trump would lose in a landslide in 2020. He did lose, and Republicans did lose the majorities, but it should have been worse (NOT complaining with how it turned out, though!).

This isn't me being a pessimist, though. I always think back to Lindsey Graham saying, "If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it," and I keep hoping that he was right, just not in 2016. They are an extremist party; they have all their fingerprints over women's rights being stripped with the overturning of Roe v Wade. They voted against the right to contraception. Most of them still vote against marriage equality. They voted against climate change. They mostly voted against gun control. They voted against capping high insulin prices for people with private insurance. And they cry fraud before an election just in case they lose.

I want that to be punished. I want losses in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, to be a leadup to Dem wins in 2022. Even if Dems were to win modestly, it would be huge that Republicans didn't gain seats in a midterm while being out of power in the White House and congress because of their control of the Supreme Court and the out of the mainstream views that LGBTQ rights, women's rights, voting rights are NOT guaranteed.