What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I'm an idiot and currently have 5 books in progress.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - almost done with this one, finally. Been on it for a couple months or so, I just keep putting it down when I get bored. But I may finish tonight.

Shogun by James Clavell - making progress and it's good.

The Tudors by HG Meyer - nonfiction

Those Who Wait by Hayley Cass - sapphic novel on my Kindle

Murder Road by Simone St James - started this one last night, I've been anticipating it and didn't wanna wait. It's really good and I'll likely get through it quickly.

Need to whittle down this list and get back to a manageable number, lol

On 3/15/2024 at 6:51 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm an idiot and currently have 5 books in progress.

rookie :p  j/k you need to work yourself up to reading more than a few at a time. I've been doing it for years but right now and normally have no issue keeping all the various stories straight and yet I've made a bit of a mistake in that arena. Two of the books I'm currently working on are How To Make a Horror Movie and Survive by Craig DiLouise and Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay. While the stories are completely different, look at these covers and you might guess why I get a bit confused, lol.

41Rs7bM1gqL.jpg

177336021.jpg  

I can keep the stories straight since I read very different books at the same time. I just feel like I spread myself too thin and it takes too long to finish one.

That said, I completed three the past few days, so I'm just down to The Tudors and Shogun right now. One fiction, one nonfiction, which is pretty ideal for me.

• 2 weeks later...

@CastlevaniaNut18

New Dan Jones biography for Henry V coming  this autumn:

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

The New York Times bestselling author returns with a biography examining the dramatic life and unparalleled leadership of England's greatest medieval king. In 1413, when Henry V ascended to...

In 1413, when Henry V ascended to the English throne, his kingdom was hopelessly torn apart by political faction and partisanship. Public finances and law and order were in a state of crisis. Pirates tormented the coast; plots, conspiracies, and heresy threatened society. The lingering effects of the worst pandemic in human history continued to menace daily life. And then, in less than ten years, Henry turns it all around.

By common consensus in his day, and for hundreds of years afterward, Henry was the greatest medieval king that ever lived. Through skillful leadership, unwavering vision, and seemingly by sheer force of personality, he managed to catapult his realm into the greatest triumphs it has ever achieved: he united the political community behind the crown, renewed the justice system, revived England’s maritime dominance. And then there are his military achievements in France, most notably the resounding, against-the-odds victory at Agincourt. He was tough, lucky, intelligent, farsighted, and cultured. But he was also, at times, cold, callous, violent, by instinct a traditionalist and even a reactionary. A historical titan, his legacy over the years has become a complicated one.

As an exceptional leader, Henry V transcends the Middle Ages which produced him, and his life story has much to teach us today. Drawing on the latest scholarship and writing with his characteristic wit and style, Dan Jones examines the king’s legendary life—and he puts Henry’s claim to greatness very vigorously to the test.

• Hype 1

I'm still reading Shogun, I'm in the second half. But I think I'm gonna divert for a minute and read City in Ruins by Don Winslow. Got my copy yesterday and I've been anticipating the conclusion to this trilogy.

I've also been reading Flags on the Bayou by James Lee Burke on my Kindle.

I've been reading/listening to the Wheel of Time series (listening on my bike workouts). I'm about 70% through book 4 and I'm enjoying it for the most part so far.

Things I like about the series so far

-The world and lore

-Distinct characters

-Tolkenesque in the use of fantasy languages

-The One power is a cool magic system.

Things that I don't like

-The romances are shallow so far. Only one worth a crap is

Spoiler

Perrin and Falie 

-The whole "men are always one way while women are always the other" bs is incredibly irksome. I can overlook it but it drags the series down. 

-Not enough Min

On 4/4/2024 at 6:41 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm still reading Shogun, I'm in the second half. But I think I'm gonna divert for a minute and read City in Ruins by Don Winslow. Got my copy yesterday and I've been anticipating the conclusion to this trilogy.

I've also been reading Flags on the Bayou by James Lee Burke on my Kindle.

I’m gonna have to get to that one too. We’re up to the last half of the Aeneid by now.

• 2 weeks later...

A few books that I'm listening to depending on what I'm doing and how much bandwidth I have available:

NOISE: A FLAW IN HUMAN JUDGMENT , by Daniel Kahneman (R.I.P.), Olivier Sibony, & Cass R. Sunstein

- I don't think there's anything I've ever read from Kahneman that disappoints, and so far, NOISE continues that trend.  I'm not too far in, but within the span of 2-3 chapters, the book's done a masterful job of illustrating just how pervasive statistical noise truly is, in a number of fields, many of which result in some incredibly disheartening truths.

THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK , by Mark Manson

- Just started listening this morning, not far enough in to have any thoughts yet.

THE DESIGN OF EVERYDAY THINGS , by Don Norman

- This is among my personal favorites.  Discussing the various ways in which psychology intersects with design in ways which can be humorous, frightening, catastrophic, or just utterly confounding.  The example of pseudonymous "Norman Doors" (doors which leave users confused on how they function as a result those visual features which serve to support fundamental design practices of discoverability and usability) serves as an engaging point of entry into what the book is focused on.

DAVID AND GOLIATH - UNDERDOGS, MISFITS, AND THE ART OF BATTLING GIANTS , by Malcolm Gladwell

- This is a personal favorite of mine, which I'm revisiting mainly for the sake of writing a more comprehensive personal review for a WhatsApp chat for one of my recovery groups.  Gladwell is (generally speaking) somewhat subversive by nature, and the ways in which he challenges conventional wisdom on a number of points (from the underdog status of the titular pair, to morally questionable actions embraced by leaders of the Civil Rights movement, to deeply unsettling approaches employed by a doctor desperate to find ways of treating patients in a childrens leukemia wing, to the effectiveness of "Three Strikes" laws such as those used in California for a time) is always engaging.  And his discussions of "Desirable Difficulties" in discussing several dyslexic individuals who went on to become titans in their fields not in spite of, but largely because of, their condition (or more specifically, through application of the practices they had learned and utilized in navigating the disability) really resonates with the recovering addict in me who has come to appreciate a number of counter-intuitive truths while recognizing that some of my own defects are closely aligned with some of my greatest strengths.

WHITE FRAGILITY - WHY IT'S SO HARD FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT RACISM , by Robin DiAngelo

- Ever since my wife received her LMSW in a masters program in which she was the one white person in an incredibly diverse cohort (during which time she came to have a whole new understanding of white privilege), I've tried to find good sources on exploring the subject further.  This book has caused me to feel more than a little discomfort at times, which I regard as a positive, given that the discomfort comes from ignorance butting up against realities for which my understanding can only be, at best, limited.