~~Shocktoberfest!~~

Brick

Since Backlaugust seems to be a bit of a hit on here, I figured I'd bring over another Negative World annual event; Shocktoberfest!

In the spirit of the spooky season Shocktoberfest is all about playing horror games! Yes you're encouraged to get scared for fun. Unlike Backlaugust these games don't necessarily have to be from your backlog (although that's always encouraged to chip away at), these can be games that you want to replay, new games coming out, or games you haven't played yet but always wanted to pick up, ex. have you been wanting to play Resident Evil 7? Then it'll more than likely go on sale this month, so go ahead and buy it and finally play through it.

The only requirement is that the games be horror themed. Survival horror, action horror, doesn't matter, any horror works!

From now until the end of Halloween night let's encourage each other to brave through these frightening games and have fun along the way!

I'm thinking I'll replay Dead Space 2 so that I can prepare myself to finally play Dead Space 3. I'll also try and go back and finish Condemned: Criminal Origins and pick up where I left off, which I haven't played in 7 years!

So let's get started, and have fun encouraging each other, and discussing what we're currently playing. Don't forget to spoiler tag anything that might ruin something for someone else who hasn't yet played a game as there's nothing scarier than an unwelcomed surprise spoiler! I'll add a finished list so we can see what we've made through.

Happy Haunting!

spacer.png

3 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I’m all for this. I’m still plodding through RE4 but my wife finds it boring to watch, so that’s a bit as and when. I’ll have a look and see what might be good as we both love scary games - maybe Alien Isolation might be a good one, or Outlast...

Alien Isolation is fantastic, and I would love for there to be a sequel one day. 

I think I'm most of the way through Hellblade (just got the Sword back and did the beast trial).  It reminds me a lot of Eternal Darkness, or what I'd expect a modern version of it to look like.

It's a great game, but the narrative is a bit jumbled and relies too heavily on monologue.  Though it's cool in the way its told.  Glad I opted for headphones.

Beat Hellblade.  Still have the same opinions, especially after the ending.  It would have been cool to see what exactly her madness caused her to do IRL, but they kind of squandered that opportunity in making it all about her mind.  And even that could have been explained a bit better.

Coolest part of the game was the beast battle, by far.  I haven't seen a game go there with horror elements before.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my second playthrough of Dead Space 2 just now. That was fun to go back to. I'm looking forward to finally playing Dead Space 3 even if it's supposed to be the weakest of the trilogy. Only question now is if it's better solo, or in co-op. :thinking: I'm going to guess solo. 

On 10/2/2020 at 7:19 AM, gamer.tv said:

I’m all for this. I’m still plodding through RE4 but my wife finds it boring to watch, so that’s a bit as and when. I’ll have a look and see what might be good as we both love scary games - maybe Alien Isolation might be a good one, or Outlast...

Still plodding along though on Chapter 5-3 so getting their. I’m going to buy the next Dark Anthology game for Halloween and after a bit of thinking, it seems that getting PS Now for a month actually works out best as it has Observer, Days Gone, SOMA and The Evil Within 2. All ideal Halloween games - but none is actually want to own.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, heydude93 said:

Has anyone played Blair Witch?  Does it actually suck?

I just finished it now (got the bad ending, so I guess I'll replay it to get the good ending), and I enjoyed it. It doesn't really have much to do with the Blair Witch property, which makes me think it was an original one before they got the rights. It's got some good jump scares, and some slight puzzles to keep it from being strictly a walking stimulator. 

On 10/31/2020 at 4:07 AM, Brick said:

I just finished it now (got the bad ending, so I guess I'll replay it to get the good ending), and I enjoyed it. It doesn't really have much to do with the Blair Witch property, which makes me think it was an original one before they got the rights. It's got some good jump scares, and some slight puzzles to keep it from being strictly a walking stimulator. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I love how the gameplay seems to capture the feeling of being lost in the woods at night that the movie did so well.  It was a tough choice, but ultimately I made Visage my Halloween game this year.  Anyone who likes or missed out on PT owes it to themselves to play this one.  Not quite as scary so far, but just as atmospheric and cerebral with potential to be a classic in the genre imo.