For some inexplicable reason, the rest of the world feels "sorry" for the United States

The correct sentiment should be that of schadenfreude, not pity.

merlin_177550689_26aa5830-2060-4cfa-a4f7
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

From Myanmar to Canada, people are asking: How did a superpower allow itself to be felled by a virus? And why won’t the president commit to a peaceful transition of power?

“The U.S.A. is a first-world country but it is acting like a third-world country,” said U Aung Thu Nyein, a political analyst in Myanmar.

Let me show you Appalachia and the Black Belt of the Deep South, U Aung Thu Nyein, and we'll see if you still hold that opinion.

“I have no doubt in the ability of the constitutional structures of the United States with their system of checks and balances to function,” said Johann Wadephul of Germany, a senior lawmaker from Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservatives.

Have I ever got news for you, Herr Wadephul!  I'm fairly certain that this was said as well, "I have no doubt in the ability of the constitutional structures of the [Weimar Republic] with its system of [whatever the hell it had] to function."

After what we've done in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, I cannot argue in the least with those who claim that the United States is finally get its "just desserts".

The issue with breaking this country up (unless you’re specifically splitting off the Bible Belt), is that the ideological divide is not regional. It’s more or less evenly spread, across the whole country, between cities, suburbs, and everything in between. What would be more practical at this point would be to allow large cities and metropolitan areas to secede. Or you know, kill the electoral college (lol) and re-write the constitution (double lol). But selective secession is actually possible.

America is entirely unexceptional. Our healthcare is a joke, our infrastructure is older than shit, our education system leaves the poor behind. The two stupidest things in political history are the electoral college and the 2nd amendment. The only thing America is good at is producing fat, gun-fetishing asshole conspiracy-theory believing white dudes who would rather lick boots than their wives' pussies.

16 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The issue with breaking this country up (unless you’re specifically splitting off the Bible Belt), is that the ideological divide is not regional. It’s more or less evenly spread, across the whole country, between cities, suburbs, and everything in between. What would be more practical at this point would be to allow large cities and metropolitan areas to secede. Or you know, kill the electoral college (lol) and re-write the constitution (double lol). But selective secession is actually possible.

Offer relocation to people to states who share their views, then lock the door behind them.

• Thanks 2