Raytracing console performance thread - DF Looks at RE2/RE3 raytracing 'upgrade'

crispy4000

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Mirrors absolutely do not generally work! Most of the time they're conveniently broken or are literally just sort of shiny gray rectangles. If you're real lucky you'll get some shitty looking low-res, murky ass podunk reflection that ruins the entire scene.

I mean I've noticed that too but I'm not sure I'd chalk that up to technical limitations just lazy developers. Just because you can put a ray traced reflection in doesn't mean every mirror will have a reflection in a game.

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean I've noticed that too but I'm not sure I'd chalk that up to technical limitations just lazy developers. Just because you can put a ray traced reflection in doesn't mean every mirror will have a reflection in a game.

It's absolutely due to technical limitations. Actual reflections are expensive as hell on hardware. Faked reflections where you put an actual copy of the room and NPCs/objects take a lot more work and have their own issues and limitations.

That's why even when we do get "real" reflections, they're, like I said, really terrible, or baked on in a limited environment. But with ray tracing, as we see in Control, you (basically) just designate the properties of an object like glass or a polished floor and the ray tracing does the rest, no need for trickery or fancy techniques or low quality reflections that look terrible.

Like I said, people might think they wouldn't notice good reflections (that's not even getting into the amazing lighting possible) but you put things side by side and it becomes much more clear.

From something subtle that adds to the mood like noticing the reflection of a vending machine in the background...

W3UPv4e.jpg

QT2qGNS.jpg

To something a little more interesting, like being able to watch NPCs have conversations in a reflection:

3ediFjo.jpg

bzriAvG.jpg

To something much more dramatic, like completely changing the mood of an entire room:

nxftpyz.jpg

xNqY55m.jpg

Even in a game not really designed around these things, I've found myself able to notice enemies in reflections ready to throw projectiles at me, or admire all the shit I'm blowing up reflected from multiple different angles all around me. I cannot wait to see what they do to utilize these things in something like stealth games, including hopefully new Batman titles. Reflections and lighting/shadows aren't just neat and pretty, they have tons of gameplay interaction possibilities, which I think is maybe what you may have been getting at above, but I think we're already partway there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • crispy4000 changed the title to Raytracing console performance thread - DMC:SE: no RT on Series S
  • crispy4000 changed the title to Raytracing console performance thread - Watch Dogs 3 Series X first look
1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, comparable performance to a 2060 Super?

Watch-Dogs-Legion-4K-Ray-Tracing-Perform

It's impossible to gauge at this point.  That chart is with DLSS enabled, and RT on high.

We don't know the equivalent RT setting Series X is running at.  Can't rule out image reconstruction, dynamic resolution, or sub-4k averages either.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Seriously, though, I think most HDMI 2.1 TVs are 40 and up for VRR. It’s really amazing for making unstable framerates appear smooth.

It's really hard to generalize, I think it is manufacturer dependent -- I think some Samsung TVs only support VRR @>48Hz @4k.

To your point, I haven't seen any TVs that claim to support HDMI 2.1 VRR below 40Hz @4k.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It's impossible to gauge at this point.  That chart is with DLSS enabled, and RT on high.

We don't know what the equivalent RT Series X is running at.  We can't rule out image reconstruction, dynamic resolution, or sub-4k averages either.

Having the console version run "ultra" settings would be a first.  Everything I have seen suggests that DLSS quality mode creates an image that is as good, and sometimes better, than natively rendered.

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's really hard to generalize, I think it is manufacturer dependent -- I think some Samsung TVs only support VRR @>48Hz @4k.

To your point, I haven't seen any TVs that claim to support HDMI 2.1 VRR below 40Hz @4k.

Are Samsungs full HDMI 2.1 yet? I know the “kinda but not really” ones that had some 2.1 features through a beefed up 2.0 port a couple years ago did cap at 48. I thought the standard was 40 for (actual) 2.1, but I could certainly be mistaken.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Are Samsungs full HDMI 2.1 yet? I know the “kinda but not really” ones that had some 2.1 features a couple years ago did cap at 48. I thought the standard was 40 for (actual) 2.1, but I could certainly be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure the Q800T is HDMI 2.1 on one of its inputs -- RTINGs reports it is only VRR above 48Hz.  Could the data there be wrong?  Sure.

I've never seen a standard for the minimum VRR frequency (not saying there isn't one, just that I have never seen it referenced).

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm pretty sure the Q800T is HDMI 2.1 on one of its inputs -- RTINGs reports it is only VRR above 48Hz.  Could the data there be wrong?  Sure.

I've never seen a standard for the minimum VRR frequency (not saying there isn't one, just that I have never seen it referenced).

Okay, did some digging, the standard is 30-120hz, but that’s just the tech standards behind it. It’s up to the TV maker to support the ranges on their panels. So, any GPU/console/whatever that is hdmi 2.1 is capable of VRR starting at 30fps, however, the TV’s capability for VRR can vary: LG could put out a model that can go down to 30hz, and also a model that stops at 50hz, and both would be considered 2.1 compliant.

• Thanks 1

Well, 1080p/60 with RT actually seems better than it’s running on pc for most people due to a mysterious bottleneck apparently everyone has. So there’s that.

Really leaning towards just playing at 30fps on pc with everything maxed and figure at least it looks better than next gen still. I don’t think they will be able to fix this enough for 4kdlss/60/RT on with any current hardware, will just have to be brute forced into it eventually.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, 1080p/60 with RT actually seems better than it’s running on pc for most people due to a mysterious bottleneck apparently everyone has. So there’s that.

Really leaning towards just playing at 30fps on pc with everything maxed and figure at least it looks better than next gen still. I don’t think they will be able to fix this enough for 4kdlss/60/RT on with any current hardware, will just have to be brute forced into it eventually.

The bottleneck isn’t mysterious, it’s the bottleneck of “playing a Ubisoft” game; an automatic 30% reduction in performance.

Went and tested it out, their water definitely seems to be using the basic SSR, which has several shortcomings, such as: halo effect around distant objects, reflections dropping in quality tremendously after a certain distance, reflections absent from edges of screen, very apparent when turning the camera, etc. This on top of the reflections being of much lower quality, which isn't too noticeable in something distorted and moving like water, which is probably why they used it.

SSR:

2My4Hpz.jpg

Raytracing:

8yvomF7.jpg

Apparently Demon Souls has no Ray Tracing.

668079_600x315.jpg
WWW.LEVELUP.COM

LEVEL UP platicó con Gavin Moore, director creativo del juego y miembro de SIE Japan Studio

“We don't actually implement raytracing in Demon's Souls . It's not because we couldn't or because the PlayStation 5 couldn't do it, it's fully capable of doing it, "said Moore.

Now the question is, if the PlayStation 5 can be raytraced and it could have been implemented in Demon's Souls , why leave it out? As explained by Moore, it was a decision they made since it was something that was outside their initial ideal of the project. Also, there is a certain cost to implement it and they preferred to prioritize other elements.

“It's like any other graphic improvement, there is a cost [to implement raytracing]. If we had implemented ray tracing in the game, that would mean that we would have had to leave something out. There is a limited time in game development.

When we started development, we didn't know there would be ray tracing in the game, so it wasn't in our original vision. What we wanted to focus on was the settings and the look of the characters. Everything is lighting in real time with shadows in real time ”, were the words of Moore.

In case you missed it: Demon's Souls will have a digital edition that will cost $ 90 USD

When we started development we didn't know there would be ray tracing in the game, so it wasn't in our original vision. What we wanted to focus on was the settings and the look of the characters. Everything is lighting in real time with shadows in real time ”, were the words of Moore.

And you, what do you think about this news? Would you have liked Demon's Souls to have raytracing? Tell us in the comments.

Demon's Souls is coming to PlayStation 5 on November 12. You can learn more about this game by clicking here.

And what you posted doesnt say Digital Deluxe version  its says 2nd version.  The remake is the 2nd version of the game

Just now, TomCat said:

In case you missed it: Demon's Souls will have a digital edition that will cost $ 90 USD

When we started development we didn't know there would be ray tracing in the game, so it wasn't in our original vision. What we wanted to focus on was the settings and the look of the characters. Everything is lighting in real time with shadows in real time ”, were the words of Moore.

And you, what do you think about this news? Would you have liked Demon's Souls to have raytracing? Tell us in the comments.

Demon's Souls is coming to PlayStation 5 on November 12. You can learn more about this game by clicking here.

And what you posted doesnt say Digital Deluxe version  its says 2nd version.  The remake is the 2nd version of the game

Because Big Poppa M has the $$$ to bankroll us while Son(insert yen sign here I don’t know how to do it on my phone) has to pull out their super soakers squirting $30 extra all over our shirts.

Halo Master Chief Collection = 6 remasters enhanced for Xbox Series X for free with gamepass or if you own it

Demon Souls = One remaster enhanced for PS5 for $90 no matter if you own the original or not

hmmm

• Guillotine 1

10 minutes ago, TomCat said:

I thought your stupidity was just a troll , but boy was I wrong. 

You know how links work right? Click the link or I can help you

We're just over a month away from PlayStation 5 making its debut and bringing Demon's Souls and other launch games with it. If you are interested in this project, you should know that, in addition to its regular version, Sony is preparing a second digital edition that will cost $ 90 USD.

Through the PlayStation Blog , Sony Interactive Entertainment announced the Digital Deluxe Edition of Demon's Souls . It is a package that includes the digital version of the game, as well as content to use within the game that seeks to prepare you for this challenge. It will also spoil you with the original soundtrack.

In case you missed it: The Demon's Souls remake will be exclusive to PS5; will not reach PC

Next, we present all the content of the Digital Deluxe Edition of Demon's Souls ;

Soundtrack
Legendary Hero Soul
Renowned Warrior Soul
Storied warrior soul
Red-Eye Knight Armor
Boletarian Royalty Armor
Ritual Blade
Hoplite Shield
Ring of Longevity
Preservation grains
Phosphorescent Grains
Bearbug grains
Large Hardstone Shard
Moonlightstone Shard

Screenshot-34

upload image

• Guillotine 1

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Because Big Poppa M has the $$$ to bankroll us while Son(insert yen sign here I don’t know how to do it on my phone) has to pull out their super soakers squirting $30 extra all over our shirts.

Halo Master Chief Collection = 6 remasters enhanced for Xbox Series X for free with gamepass or if you own it

Demon Souls = One remaster enhanced for PS5 for $90 no matter if you own the original or not

hmmm

lol in my younger days of fighting the SDF on IGN I would always post SON¥  to piss them off  M$ was my microsoft 

• Guillotine 1