Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: "Release Date Trailer" (20 August 2024)

JPDunks4

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: 5 minutes of new UE5 gameplay footage
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: 8 minutes of GeForce RTX gameplay footage
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: 8 minutes of GeForce RTX gameplay footage and in-game cutscene
  • 11 months later...

Every time I see footage of this game it looks like dog shit, the animations are so weird and I hate them. I can never quite put my finger on it, but my gut feeling is that it's like pretty good visuals but the foundation seems shoddy. Like Clay Fighters or something. Or like a two dollar whore with really nice makeup.

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Every time I see footage of this game it looks like dog shit, the animations are so weird and I hate them. I can never quite put my finger on it, but my gut feeling is that it's like pretty good visuals but the foundation seems shoddy. Like Clay Fighters or something. Or like a two dollar whore with really nice makeup.

It's the way they move. They sway back and forth for some reason. Like they mo-capped a puppet.

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm gonna call it right now that the demo is the only part of the game that's actually playable.

This exactly what I’m expecting ;( I’m just feeling fundraising more than actually game making at this point.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

he specifically talks about how good the game feels and how unique it plays as opposed to a typical Souls like.

Yeah, I don’t have enough attention to span to watch a full video but I did skip around and was listening to the part about how different holding the staff in the middle made it feel and how it had a different rhythm and that sounds like a big plus to me 

• Halal 1

Yotube knows I';m interested in this game... a lot of gameplay videos showing up in my feed.

This one is all in Chinese but it shows the hidden boss fight in the demo that the dude in the other video mentioned. Hopefully whatever they show Tuesday will be available for download for players at some point :pray:

EDIT: Another video showed in my feed, this one shows extended gameplay and the inventory and armor screens. Also has a Boss fight I haven't seen before

naysayers be damned, this game looks fucking cool.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I kinda meant visually. Soulslike is a no go for me because I'm terrible at games. And I only have gotten worse as I age. In my teens and 20s I was skilled and welcomed a challenge. Not anymore.  😆 

I don't think you'd enjoy this one then. Pretty heavily inspired by Souls and ER

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

No. I got really far but hit a wall at level 90 or so. 

Yeah I think I got to level 135 before tapping out. Was pretty close to the end I think. Might go back and beat it before they announce the DLC.

Anywho here is a trailer for Wukong... some stuff in here I haven't seen before. I suspect this game is farther along than some of you guys think.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: Gamescom 2023 Official Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: 4K Extended GeForce RTX Boss Battle Gameplay
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: multiple boss fight gameplay videos
wukong.png?width=1200&height=600&fit=cro
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

I'm battling an anthropomorphic tiger. He resides, of course, in the Crouching Tiger temple, the steps leading up to it…

The first is the giant and poisonous Elite Centipede Guai, which acted as something of a tutorial. I begin in near darkness in an underground cavern littered with skeletons and then from a mound of skulls it bursts free, a terrifying form of spindly, skeletal legs curling above me. It spits poison, swipes with claws, and rolls around the arena requiring well-timed dodges.

And dodging is essential. If the Souls games focus on blocking, and both Bloodborne and Sekiro focus on parrying in their own ways, then Black Myth: Wukong is about dodging and swift fluid movement. Stamina must be carefully managed but is generous and allows for plenty of manoeuvrability around each battlefield. A perfectly timed last-minute dodge is represented by a copy of your monkey protagonist as you shift before landing crushing blows.

For melee, the monkey uses a staff in three different stances, like the Nioh series: Smash form, Pillar form, and Thrust form. Pillar feels particularly monkey-esque as the character scurries to perch on top before slamming down a heavy attack or spins around in a tornado flurry. I was especially fond, however, of using Thrust to cheekily poke away at bosses from a distance and whittle down their health.

zRhrinKbebPBJ89fApefh5-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | My first stop at Gamescom 2023 hit me like a stick to the face

In a year so well-served for punishing Soulslike games, Black Myth: Wukong still manages to add something new to the mix. The demo I played at Gamescom took me through four levels – or rather, it would have if I'd made it past the second – featuring four very different, very aggressive boss fights. 

After dying at the hands of the Macaque Chief, I light an incense stick and go over my spells. In the game's first level, you can only bring two spells with you, so I've opted for a temporary invisibility buff called Cloud Step, and Immobilize to stop my aggressor in their tracks. These had served me well against Centipede Guai, the venom-spitting giant insect I'd vanquished in the first stage of the demo. But now, facing off against the Macaque Chief and his icicle-blasting attacks, it calls for a different approach.

I ease off during my first attempt at beating this enemy, taking the time to learn its attack patterns rather than running at it in a flurry of stick-whacking mayhem. Dodging feels blissfully smooth in Black Myth, most likely because I'm not weighed down with heavy armor like my build in Elden Ring. This is how I accidentally perform a perfect dodge, causing my enemy to go into slow-mo while I land a good few extra hits, not to mention a ranged heavy attack that knocks him flying immediately. Nothing feels more satisfying than following up such a combo with Immobilize, keeping the Macaque Chief frozen in place, meaning I can land even more free hits to further whittle down its health bar. After my enemy snaps out of it, I'm prepared to use Stone Solid – a move that helps me deflect its next attack. Lovely.

• Hype 3