Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: "Release Date Trailer" (20 August 2024)

JPDunks4

Based on what I've seen so far, the combat could INDEED surpass the Souls games if it feels as good to play as it looks. Also, if the game is relatively short for this type of game, it allows them to focus more on a tighter more refined experience than trying to fill up an open world game that's gonna last 70+ hours. I'm beyond hyped for this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I almost want this to be good for skillz more so than for myself :P

I've always favored Chinese Wuxia and Mythology over Feudal Japan (even though I love that setting too) so all of these Chinese based games coming out is a dream come true for me. They seem to have gotten a lot right for this game but I'm still cautiously optimistic. I can see room for improvement in some areas particuarly the camera and some of the animations... Monkey looks like he's skating as opposed to running sometimes particularly when he changes direction while running forward... Also I'm a little concerned about the length. These are minor nitpicks though and I'm definitely there day one whenever this releases. I love action games, Souls games AND Chinese Mythology sooo Futurama Buy GIF

• Hugs 2

A lot of games combat surpasses the Souls game, that's not really a sign of anything. The appeal of souls games isnt' the combat either it's the world building.

Nioh has amazing combat but the rest of the game not as good as an actual Souls game.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

I almost want this to be good for skillz more so than for myself :P

I'm not too concerned about him liking it. He's a lot like you or Phaseknox. If you put a game in his hands he will love it as if it's a gift from Jesus.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: 19 minutes of gameplay from Gamescom 2023
wukong-gc-blog-1693042313099.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

Black Myth: Wukong feels just as good as it looks, with fast and responsive combat fuelling its dramatic boss encounters.

It does indeed feel as good as it looks apparently. I was really encouraged by this bit from the article

First, let’s address where Black Myth: Wukong sits along the action RPG spectrum. While it definitely falls under the soulslike umbrella thanks to its punishing centre-piece boss fights and bonfire-like checkpointing, Black Myth isn’t directly comparable to any FromSoft game. It sits somewhere between Sekiro and Bloodborne; it has the relentless speed of the former and emphasises evasive dodging much like the latter. But while the combat encounters pull on some of the same strings as the genre’s established titans, the actual act of fighting feels like its own slick beast.

That sounds great to me because from a gameplay Standpoint, those are my two favorite Souls games.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: 19 minutes of Gamescom 2023 gameplay
  • 2 months later...
WWW.IGN.COM

For an indie studio that has only released mobile titles within China, this widespread acclaim over Black Myth: Wukong is a largely unprecedented feat, particularly for a game that has not been released yet. But beneath the luster of this souls-like, Game Science is plagued by claims of sexism.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong ("Journey to the West/Monkey King" mythology action-adventure/RPG title from China) - update: "Release Date Trailer" (20 August 2024)
18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't realize I needed to be redeemed... the only people talking this game down were folks on this board. Everyone else who had actually played it thought quite highly of it :shrug:

Just meant it looks like you were right vs us in the thread who were skeptical!

One thing I did hear was that the game isn't open world, it's broken up into levels which are somewhat short and that the highlight of each level are the boss fights. The game sounds pretty linear and short. Gameplay is solid though with some saying it's arguably one of the best playing action games of its type. That's based on the impressions I saw from a couple of youtubers who got to play it so take it with a grain of salt.

• Halal 1