Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: "In Tanta We Trust" (post-main game DLC) gameplay reveal trailer (May 26 release)

Checking out the performance on the demo and it seems…fine? Honestly much better than i expected after seeing how it runs on ps5.

Im averaging fps in the 90s completely maxed at 4k with dlss balanced. I think turning down the res and a couple things and most people will be fine. Cpu usage seems pretty decent though I bottleneck at around the high 90s/low 100s on dlss performance, I assume a 12700/5800x3D or up hits 120 on the cpu.

I didn’t notice any compilation stutter and I actually am curious how they are doing it with this huge fast world and seemingly no pre-game precompile?

It’s pretty damn nice looking on pc. I’m going to play the demo and just use that to decide if I buy or not.

All the clips I’ve seen of people clowning on it have made me more interested.

• Halal 1

That one second load time is pretty sweet gotta say. I decided to try the ps5 demo to compare now and it got done pretty dirty. The ray tracing mode feels like a slide show and doesn’t even include the ray traced AO and the resolution mode doesn’t hit a good balance either and seems to run horrible. So that leaves the performance mode which I guess is ok? But compared to it on pc it definitely feels like a last gen port of the game. All the detail and shading is just gone and textures are muddy. I wonder if they could patch in a 40hz mode at least that strikes a better balance of things.

• Halal 1

The difference between the PS5 and PC version is quite noticable! I'm quite pleased with the results. Also, maybe this is an unpopular opnion, but I like "Cuff" and his banter. Maybe I won't after a few hours, but then again you can turn down the banter rate if you don't enojoy it. Also, here are some QoL tips:

Forspoken_TGA_Screenshot_01-HD-scaled.jp
WCCFTECH.COM

To enjoy Forspoken at its fullest, we've identified six gameplay options that you should change at the very beginning of the game.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

That one second load time is pretty sweet gotta say. I decided to try the ps5 demo to compare now and it got done pretty dirty. The ray tracing mode feels like a slide show and doesn’t even include the ray traced AO and the resolution mode doesn’t hit a good balance either and seems to run horrible. So that leaves the performance mode which I guess is ok? But compared to it on pc it definitely feels like a last gen port of the game. All the detail and shading is just gone and textures are muddy. I wonder if they could patch in a 40hz mode at least that strikes a better balance of things.

The PS5 has a 40fps mode, it's a bit hidden in the settings. Game felt horrible until I enabled it.

PC demo is netting me about 90-100fps but I have to use afterburner to see my framerate. I guess GeForce Experience doesn't support showing fps in this game?

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The PS5 has a 40fps mode, it's a bit hidden in the settings. Game felt horrible until I enabled it.

PC demo is netting me about 90-100fps but I have to use afterburner to see my framerate. I guess GeForce Experience doesn't support showing fps in this game?

I tried the 40fps mode now and yeah MUCH more acceptable especially in quality mode. Still almost like playing the switch port in comparison but it’s definitely playable there and what I would choose. Ray tracing mode still looks awful. The fsr I think isn’t working well for me i’m this game, it looks so damn blurry in all modes during movement.

This is exactly what I thought would happen after seeing the footage.  This is not a game I’d want to play on console, even without a modern PC.  It’s particularly good to hear the AO is better than console, it looked really amateur in the DF summary.

I wonder how much this will be the case this gen moving forward, where the PC delivers what you’d expect baseline from a next gen experience, but the PS5/Series X don’t get there.

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This is exactly what I thought would happen after seeing the footage.  This is not a game I’d want to play on console, even without a modern PC.  It’s particularly good to hear the AO is better than console, it looked really amateur in the DF summary.

I wonder how much this will be the case this gen moving forward, where the PC delivers what you’d expect baseline from a next gen experience, but the PS5/Series X don’t get there.

One thing I hadn’t really thought would be a problem is the ram these have on board. I always think it’s fine until I remember it’s a shared 16gb (or 14 or whatever is left after os) and some of this stuff at 4kish resolution is starting to eat up thar vram. 10gb vram is easily getting eaten up in new releases which only would give them 4gb ram for everything else so they have to obviously scale down just for memory.

I think that’s why the textures are so different in this on pc than ps5, especially for me with 24gb vram since it’s scaling the textures accordingly to your vram pool. Open world games especially I can see having an issue with blurry textures compared to pc this gen. Mid-gen consoles could easily change that with a ram boost.

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

One thing I hadn’t really thought would be a problem is the ram these have on board. I always think it’s fine until I remember it’s a shared 16gb (or 14 or whatever is left after os) and some of this stuff at 4kish resolution is starting to eat up thar vram. 10gb vram is easily getting eaten up in new releases which only would give them 4gb ram for everything else so they have to obviously scale down just for memory.

I think that’s why the textures are so different in this on pc than ps5, especially for me with 24gb vram since it’s scaling the textures accordingly to your vram pool. Open world games especially I can see having an issue with blurry textures compared to pc this gen. Mid-gen consoles could easily change that with a ram boost.

You’d think smart use of the SSD could offset some of that.  Though not every dev (or engine) would be good at it.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Good to see it's running great on pc. I didn't know there was a 40fps mode on PS5 but you guys sold me in not buying this. I'll hopefully get a fix this Friday with Dead Space but I'm not particularly looking forward to that either. *Sighs*

FINAL

MOTHER

FUCKING

FANTASY

REMAKE

@Biggie tell the man

• True 1

btw if anyone IS set on buying this on pc, and if you are a GMG member, you get like 23% off at $53 - so it counts as buying it on sale!

Actually I nailed the pricing overall for this years first flood of games:

Spongebob Cosmic Shake 

Dead Space

Hogwarts

Forspoken 

Console MSRP: $250

I paid to cdkeys/gmg: $171 

Its like saving $9 and getting Forspoken free!

47 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I’m still partial to my Xbox one x controller. Does the dual sense really add a lot to the experience? 

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think it absolutely does! It really goes all out with it and honestly kinda makes moving more fun.

I think it was digital foundry that said the haptic triggers were overtuned and found the experience improved by turning them off. 

me, I’m a whore for having 4 paddles on the back of my Elite Series 2. 

41 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think it was digital foundry that said the haptic triggers were overtuned and found the experience improved by turning them off. 

me, I’m a whore for having 4 paddles on the back of my Elite Series 2. 

You also can turn off the triggers and still get the rest of the improved rumble though!

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Good to see it's running great on pc. I didn't know there was a 40fps mode on PS5 but you guys sold me in not buying this. I'll hopefully get a fix this Friday with Dead Space but I'm not particularly looking forward to that either. *Sighs*

Forspoken strikes me as a game that will be on sale pretty quickly. Probably $35 within 2 months.

• True 1

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I am enjoying the demo :(

Is this you?

forspoken-frey.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Like other outlets, we don't have a Forspoken review ready to go yet. The demo was alright, though.

Like many others - and you too, if you've got a PS5 - I've been able to play the free Forspoken demo, which plops you into the game after the opening bumf, and presumably the cutscene where Frey establishes her modern girl "lemme get this straight?!" credentials. And you know what? I don't hate it!

I say that because the conventional wisdom has become that everyone will and that it's going to be shit. My impression from the demo is that it's aaaaallright and I would like to play more - which, in fairness, is not the impression I'd want to get if I'd pre-ordered the deluxe edition for £90. Still, Forspoken has some cool stuff going on. The combat sees you switch between two kinds of magic: the Purple magic ranged and with more control/healing support spells, and a melee-ish Red magic where you thwack people with fire swords or - my favourite - throw explosive fire lances at them. It's a bit fiddly, and I wonder what the controls will be like with a keyboard, but it started to get fun when I got the hang of the controls and switching on the fly to suit the enemies I was up against.

I knew something felt off about this piece of shit's frame rate.

I tried out the demo to see if maybe I was just in a bad mood last time I played, but no it plays exactly how I remember. But with less slowdown than the PS5 version. (Yay DLSS!)

While I'm not interested in buying this, maybe this will help those of you currently playing it: cap your FPS with RTSS. Bad frame pacing continues to be something developers are apparently clueless about, and their built-in FPS caps which should be custom tuned to work far better than third-party shit still continue to be amateur-grade trash.

Capping the FPS at 60 (since the 80+ I was getting with a 120 cap felt bad, and this felt just as bad):

WLesQ4k.png

Capping the FPS at 60 using RTSS:

b8QXhHb.png

Now THAT'S a goddamn frame time graph. Noticeably less judder, much more stable image. While initially it's not nearly as bad as something like Assassin's Creed, it was still enough to be annoying.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1