Demon's Souls Remake OT - You Died, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

From JAPAN Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls™. Entirely rebuilt from the ground up and masterfully enhanced, this remake invites you to experience the unsettling story and ruthless combat of Demon’s Souls in unparalleled visual quality and incredible performance.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

They only did remasters until Shadow of the Colossus, the only remake they've ever done as I understand it?

True, but I believe they scaled up staff because of SoC so they could tackle full remakes going forward.  

• Thanks 1

Ok. So, I actually do have some worries. A lot of the original aesthetic seems be gone. Almost looking more like a Gears 4 or 5, than a traditional souls game. I worry that the game will feel off to play. Similar to how I hate Dark Souls 2. This worry comes from From Software seemingly having nothing to do with this. That in general gives me a lot of worries and I basically don't really care for any souls-like game that isn't made by From. They just feel inferior. I don't really care how prestigious Blue Point is, I have doubts in their abilities. I have seen comparisons of the OG SotC and BP's and there are some things that I think they messed up on or did a worse job when compared to the original. 

I would also prefer the busted and broken stuff to remain busted and broken because that shit is fun. I basically want to be able to do the same OP builds that I did the in original without them being worse. Mirdan Hammer blessed build should just be as OP as it always was. 

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Like I get that the remake “looks better” but the original is better looking.

Eh.... nah.

Good post on Reset about this:

"Budget, technology, and manpower limitations played a major part in how the original looked tbh. Demon's Souls, outside of the CG intro, is absolutely not a game where I would argue that the end result is exactly what the game developers had in mind. Especially when we talk about the glitches and performance. A lot of the assets looked downright ugly, the lighting technology at the time was very poor, textures were very low res compared to the ornate and super detailed concept art, etc.

we're not talking about a SOTC situation where the original had a distinct atmosphere that was in some way lost in translation due to added detail, with the original holding up well. We're talking about a game hampered by various factors that only vaguely resembles the incredibly detailed concept art that led to the end result. This is the world of demon's souls as envisioned from From. Lighting, geometry, foliage, all WAY more complex than what we got in the final product.

file.jpg

and now i'm seeing that concept art actually brought to life. I really can't complain. 🤷‍♂️

And then it begs the question. If the new one resembles the intention more than the actual game did, is that really an issue?"

Here's a screenshot, which looks more like the concept art.

1591917964-jeet0qo.jpg

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

his worry comes from From Software seemingly having nothing to do with this. That in general gives me a lot of worries and I basically don't really care for any souls-like game that isn't made by From. They just feel inferior. I don't really care how prestigious Blue Point is, I have doubts in their abilities.

i feel the same way. Hard to explain but From defined how a Souls game feels. BB and Sekiro are worlds apart from DeS and DS but you can "feel" the souls game in there. Other devs can mimic the gameplay but it never feels the same.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

A lot of the assets looked downright ugly, the lighting technology at the time was very poor, textures were very low res compared to the ornate and super detailed concept art, etc.

That to me is a big part of that game, its adds to atmosphere and the dream like quality, i am sure that wasnt a design choice but I still like it.

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

That to me is a big part of that game, its adds to atmosphere and the dream like quality, i am sure that wasnt a design choice but I still like it.

But now we have a game that looks far more what was envisioned, not just lackluster graphics that we think had character.

They completely get the aesthetic to Demon's Souls. It's just not kept bad-looking with bad lighting.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I'd rather the remake looks more like the OG game than the art. The remake's style looks nothing like a From game to me. Looks more like Gears or Lords of the Fallen. 

That's because From's not as good with making a game look good. :p 

Art-wise, they're lovely. I always love returning to the world of Bloodborne.

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

"Budget, technology, and manpower limitations played a major part in how the original looked tbh. Demon's Souls, outside of the CG intro, is absolutely not a game where I would argue that the end result is exactly what the game developers had in mind. Especially when we talk about the glitches and performance. A lot of the assets looked downright ugly, the lighting technology at the time was very poor, textures were very low res compared to the ornate and super detailed concept art, etc

and now i'm seeing that concept art actually brought to life. I really can't complain. 🤷‍♂️

And then it begs the question. If the new one resembles the intention more than the actual game did, is that really an issue?"

I mean... I get all that. I don’t want a remake to look like the original art, I want it to look like the original game. :p 

It’s not “an issue” it’s just a preference.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean... I get all that. I don’t want a remake to look like the original art, I want it to look like the original game. :p 

I'd rather it look how they wanted it to look. We already have a game that looks like the OG.

I've never played Demon's Souls, but these were the same concerns regarding the Shadow of the Colossus remake and in the end it's absolutely the superior, definitive version of that game.  I believe Digital Foundry had a breakdown about Bluepoint's process of using the original code base for their remakes, which means they should play nearly identically to the originals.  I would imagine this would be the same, so the game play should fundamentally be unaltered between the two versions, aside from performance enhancements.  Unless I'm way off on this.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, for the most part anyways. Like, I am gonna get the game anyway, but I am sure as shit gonna rant about how it looks lesser cuz complaining is what I do. I am reminded of the Dark Souls remaster and how it made armor look like shit. No shine to it. Way too dull. 

Really it comes down to the combat and the feel of the game. THIS has me worried the most:

According to Sony, Demon’s Souls for PS5 has been “completely rebuilt from the ground up

That seems bad. Doesn't mean it is bad, but I can't view that as a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

But now we have a game that looks far more what was envisioned, not just lackluster graphics that we think had character.

They completely get the aesthetic to Demon's Souls. It's just not kept bad-looking with bad lighting.

I get what your saying, you said it already in your previous post. I prefer the previous look its just a matter of opinion.