Demon's Souls Remake OT - You Died, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

If this had been a From remake, I would definitely consider getting a PS5 for this game. Hell, I got a PS4 for Bloodborne. I could have easily gone this whole gen without a PS4.

But I'm not a huge fan of Bluepoint, so I think I'm fine waiting a year to see if it comes to PC. And honestly, after a year, I probably won't even care that much anymore, so I could see myself waiting even longer to get a PS5.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Demon's Souls Remake (PS5 Launch) - Information Thread, update: Official Gameplay Trailer
14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Something looked very off about this trailer, it looked fake. One hit kills and the whole motion didn't feel right.

Yeah the trailer was really weird. Like I don't want to be nitpicky just because I know it's not From, but showing the first gameplay where they're just casually running around one-shotting enemies is strange (yes I know it's the tutorial level). And I've played very little of Demon's Souls, but is there no poise? Does shield use only affect endurance?

Also weird they didn't show the HUD. The game releases in two months.

15 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah the trailer was really weird. Like I don't want to be nitpicky just because I know it's not From, but showing the first gameplay where they're just casually running around one-shotting enemies is strange (yes I know it's the tutorial level). And I've played very little of Demon's Souls, but is there no poise? Does shield use only affect endurance?

Also weird they didn't show the HUD. The game releases in two months.

Yeah it looks very much like a tech demo of "Hey we made something that looks like this game but isn't exactly a game yet" The camera movement doesn't look like a real play through and it's way too close to the character. The character doesn't even react when an enemy hits his shield and as you said no hud.

It seems like there is no weight to anything, which is strange because From games are notorious for having wacky ragdoll. :p

14 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Don't know what you all were expecting, but this had me really excited after watching the 4K version (just dropped).  Never played a Souls game, this makes me want to change that.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah it looks very much like a tech demo of "Hey we made something that looks like this game but isn't exactly a game yet" The camera movement doesn't look like a real play through and it's way too close to the character. The character doesn't even react when an enemy hits his shield and as you said no hud.

It seems like there is no weight to anything, which is strange because From games are notorious for having wacky ragdoll. :p

Yeah, this.

I thought the new trailer looked fucking fantastic. The moves looked like they had weight to them, the camera was closer in and more intimate, and the graphics were off the charts.

• 2 weeks later...

The game was running in native 1440P, but Bluepoint's AA and motion blur makes everything so crispy that is hard to point this out even through pixel counting.

It was very likely running on Performance mode, Graphics 4K mode expected to look good.

No signs of raytraced shadows

The game was running in 60FPS for most part with some dips here and there, as it is in development it isn't something to bother.

Tearing happening on the top and bottom of the screen, easily missable, similar to SOTC remake.

Leap in technology is noticeable and huge, making this the most cutting edge Souls game.

Animations reworked, are more stylized but work well in this context.

Physics are reworked and very good, attacks and interactions work well.

Effects like fire and rain already looks pretty good in SDR, the game should look amazing in HDR.

Ultra fast loading times, while in the PS3 you could have to wait 11 seconds, on PS5 the loading is less than 1 second.

35 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

So is the PS5 confirmed to support native 1440p output? I've been trying to find that info for awhile with no luck, I'd much rather have 1440p 60-120fps fps than 4k 30fps.

I assume that next gen games will have a performance mode (targeting 60fps/1440p) and resolution mode (targeting 4k/30fps). 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Demon's Souls Remake (PS5 Launch) - Information Thread, update: Digital Deluxe Edition contents revealed
  • 5 weeks later...

“We did two different modes in the game: cinematic mode which is a native 4K, which looks stunning, at 30 frames per second; and performance mode, so you can play a dynamic 4K at 60 frames per second. That is going to give you smoother animation is going to give you a little of that edge [in combat].”

“If you like the starkness and the despair of the original PlayStation 3 version, then we have a bunch of filters that you can choose from and play the game [that way],” Moore said. “So if you want to play the game in what we call the classic filter, which harkens back to the days of the PlayStation 3 and the look at that title, then put that filter on. If you want to play in black and white, play in the noir filter. It’s all there in the options. If you don’t want to play with our camera, you want to play with the original camera, turn the original camera back on. […] I would say with the filters though, if the fans could just play the game the way that we made it so you can see how we take advantage of the power of the PlayStation 5, then I would ask that they would do that. I’d be very grateful. Though after that, play the game how you like to play it, please.”

Demon_s_Souls_ManEater.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

New details on photo mode, multiplayer, World Tendency, and more

60fps will be the way to go.