Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

PHEW. I feel you though fam, this is my most looked forward to game right now since I don’t believe 2021 for GOW2.

Right now, it's Returnal for me, but between that, Ratchet, and Horizon Forbidden West (hope it makes 2021), they're all up there. We haven't really had a full-blown new Ratchet since the PS3, as fun as the PS4 remake was.

32 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Right now, it's Returnal for me, but between that, Ratchet, and Horizon Forbidden West (hope it makes 2021), they're all up there. We haven't really had a full-blown new Ratchet since the PS3, as fun as the PS4 remake was.

GOW2 ISNT THERE?!

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm also thinking it's slipping to 2022. :p 

But if I were assured that, hell yes, it's coming this year, then it would top the list easily.

Ok phew, just making sure. Yeah I mean 2022 is actually kind of better than I thought already, especially if it’s early this year. I just want to see the damn thing already. 

• 2 months later...

Hidden in the blog post is this concerning the musical score:

I’m excited to announce that Mark is the Composer of the Rift Apart soundtrack! Beyond his work in DEVO, you’ve likely heard his compositions across the years whether it was in the original three Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter games, as well as animated series like Rugrats, and the blockbuster film: Thor Ragnarok.

Insomniac is so damn efficient of a developer fuck, i’m such a fanboy. I can’t think of any controversy with them either, like really terrible dlc or something, the worst thing I can think of is Fuse existing. 

Besides that fumble, even if I didn’t like everything as much (Resistance) their track record going back 25 years is pretty damn good. And they still feel like the same company. They’ve always been great with the feel of movement and that has never changed. 

They also did some early VR work that was important at the time with Edge of Nowhere being the first full..let’s say AA type experience I played when Oculus first came out. Unspoken was a great early demo for touch controls in vr too. I can’t imagine they won’t be helping with psvr2 development. And they have Spider-man don’t they..hmm...

Also Sunset Overdrive is the best Xbox One “exclusive”.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Insomniac is so damn efficient of a developer fuck, i’m such a fanboy. I can’t think of any controversy with them either, like really terrible dlc or something, the worst thing I can think of is Fuse existing. 

Besides that fumble, even if I didn’t like everything as much (Resistance) their track record going back 25 years is pretty damn good. And they still feel like the same company. They’ve always been great with the feel of movement and that has never changed. 

They also did some early VR work that was important at the time with Edge of Nowhere being the first full..let’s say AA type experience I played when Oculus first came out. Unspoken was a great early demo for touch controls in vr too. I can’t imagine they won’t be helping with psvr2 development. And they have Spider-man don’t they..hmm...

Also Sunset Overdrive is the best Xbox One “exclusive”.

Sony purchasing them, especially for that price, was a steal. The fact that they followed up Spider-Man with Miles Morales in two years, ready for launch, with the content it had (less than Spidey but still plenty via the main story and side missions, plus just dicking around because you're fucking Spider-Man), and the fact that it outsold Tsushima and TLOU2 in way less time, is nuts, and then you consider less than a year later they have Rift Apart ready to go.

Add their VR know-how and Sony's commitment to it, and they're the perfect devs nowadays, developing games quickly and efficiently when many games take a long time to develop. I know the ease of development on the PS5 is crazy-good, but still, they're nuts.

They did a lot last gen, but it was through Sony, Oculus, and MS plus some mobile and multiplats like Song of the Deep, so having them as part of SIE with consistent funding means a lot coming out this gen.

I think it helps that Insomniac doesn't really add a ton of bloat to their games. Even the Spidey games, though open-world, are lean.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Sony purchasing them, especially for that price, was a steal. The fact that they followed up Spider-Man with Miles Morales in two years, ready for launch, with the content it had (less than Spidey but still plenty via the main story and side missions, plus just dicking around because you're fucking Spider-Man), and the fact that it outsold Tsushima and TLOU2 in way less time, is nuts, and then you consider less than a year later they have Rift Apart ready to go.

Add their VR know-how and Sony's commitment to it, and they're the perfect devs nowadays, developing games quickly and efficiently when many games take a long time to develop. I know the ease of development on the PS5 is crazy-good, but still, they're nuts.

They did a lot last gen, but it was through Sony, Oculus, and MS plus some mobile and multiplats like Song of the Deep, so having them as part of SIE with consistent funding means a lot coming out this gen.

I think it helps that Insomniac doesn't really add a ton of bloat to their games. Even the Spidey games, though open-world, are lean.

Oh man, I think that’s a big part of it, they make big games that aren’t full of bloat. Love that.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm just reminding them that they shouldn't feel too bad about not having one right now. It really has been months of nothing.

If you don't have an XSX or PS5, then buying it means you have plenty to play once you pick one up; the next few months are busy for me, never mind anything that's come out. If you didn't even have a PS4 and this is your first PS console since the 3 or 2, then you've got quite a bit on the PS Collection and monthly games. Everyone has a different circumstance going in.

I'd only have exhausted all my options if I were still in 8th grade with no job or gf and could play all the time and never missed a new release. I've still got last-gen backlog. :-X

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If you don't have an XSX or PS5, then buying it means you have plenty to play once you pick one up

Plenty to play, very little to play that you can't get elsewhere, including on a PS4. And if you haven't bought a new console in that long... a slightly shorter wait is hardly gonna kill ya.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Plenty to play, very little to play that you can't get elsewhere, including on a PS4. And if you haven't bought a new console in that long... a slightly shorter wait is hardly gonna kill ya.

No lies detected, though I meant more "You haven't bought a Playstation console in that long." And if you don't mind playing a game on the 4 instead of the 5, I'd assume you're not also housing a strong PC that you play all your third party games on. :p 

Though have you seen sales for some of the cross-platform games like Miles? Last update, 71% of sales were on the PS5 despite the bigger install base of the PS4. Lot of people really are waiting and picking up Miles as their first PS5 game or one of their first. My guess is that people who want to take the jump into next-gen would rather wait until they get the 5 instead of playing it on the 4.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I could see the PS5 “drought” being pretty bad for people that were caught up on PS4 titles, but I basically skipped last gen. I’ve been busy AF tbh and loving it.

Yup, exactly.

I know xbob is WAY quicker than I am with games, so I'm pretty sure he's played all 10,000 games from last gen and is bored as hell. :p 

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yup, exactly.

I know xbob is WAY quicker than I am with games, so I'm pretty sure he's played all 10,000 games from last gen and is bored as hell. :p 

Not quite, I just have most of them on PC so anything not an exclusive just really serves no purpose for me. I mainly just mean to say that the PS5 doesn't yet offer much that you can't get with what most of us already have, be it a PS4, Xbox 1, or a decent PC. Nice to have one, for sure, but not yet essential.

@Xbob42 is making perfect sense. Up until now with Returnal and Ratchet the PS5 hasn't delivered anything since launch. It's starting to take off now and by Fall with Horizon it will be worth it for me to pick up. 

I have made 0 efforts in getting either consoles because I don't see any reason to buy one. I own a Switch, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One X. I still have so many games to play from "last gen".