Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I still have a $10 off voucher from the hack on the PSN still from a few years back. I think I just might as well use it for this game. This game series and God of War were the main reasons why I played my PS3/4 systems. Well mostly anything from Insomniac really 

rcriftapartpreview-blogroll-162077751044
WWW.IGN.COM

We saw over 30 minutes of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart gameplay, and came away impressed by the storytelling, exciting new gameplay, and Rivet.

ratchet3.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

A lengthy demo gave us a deep look into the game's worlds, story, and how it harnesses the power of PlayStation 5.

p09h5vdg.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Jordan Middler gets an early look at the next big PS5 exclusive.

3829719-feature_ratchetclankriftapartpre
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is shaping up to be a PS5 showpiece. Our in-depth preview delves into environments, weapons, and how Spider-Man shaped it.

Y3vkSyev4kpzenC2QkLo8N-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

"The story has become even more personal": Diving deep into the making of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart with Insomniac Games

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Sony shows us more of Insomniac Games' exclusive - https://youtu.be/5Sh1o-JuQWs You don’t need a preview for Ratchet &am...

RACRA_Rivet_Molonoth.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

It launches on June 11th.

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-PReview-RED.jpg
PRESS-START.COM.AU

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Preview - A Big Step Forward

ratchet_clank_rift_apart_ps5_06.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

Probably one of the most important games for any console is that first game that it feels like would’ve been completely impossible on the last generation of hardware. For PS5, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart may very well be that game. Watch on YouTubeThis isn’t to knock some of the great PS5 games we’ve seen […]

RACRA_HammerDown.jpeg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Insomniac Games’ new hero, Rivet, opens a new world of possibilities

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: a PS5 stress-test built from charm (Eurogamer)

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has a similar sort of trick, but the handling - and the tech behind it - is completely different. We are a long way from the Quake engine with this one, so to put it in the language of hardware, what came first, the SSD or dimensional rifts? When asked this at a recent virtual junket - bear in mind when watching the pretty much astonishing videos of this game in motion that much of what you see has been made in people's kitchens and spare bedrooms during the pandemic - the team at Insomniac finds it hard to answer the question. But here are the basics: PS5's SSD is a beast at loading, so while that's bad if you like to make a Pop-Tart between levels - I am not here to judge - it means that you can jump right into a game from the off. And game developers, after really thinking about it, have realised that you can jump right into a game inside a game. And what if both games are the same game? Hold me.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 Launch Window) - Information Thread, update: multiple new preview articles/videos posted
  • SaysWho? changed the title to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: Gone Gold!

I just started the PS4 Ratchet and Clank. Initially I wasn't all that impressed with it.  While a beautiful game, the gameplay didn't feel great to me.  Shooting and gameplay just felt kinda floaty and sloppy.

As I've played more though, and unlocked more weapons and abilities, it's starting to grow on me much more.  I was initially planning to wait and hold out on a price drop on Rift Apart.  Now I'm a bit more undecided.

5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I just started the PS4 Ratchet and Clank. Initially I wasn't all that impressed with it.  While a beautiful game, the gameplay didn't feel great to me.  Shooting and gameplay just felt kinda floaty and sloppy.

As I've played more though, and unlocked more weapons and abilities, it's starting to grow on me much more.  I was initially planning to wait and hold out on a price drop on Rift Apart.  Now I'm a bit more undecided.

Have you played R&C before that one?

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Have you played R&C before that one?

Nope, first one.  Only Insomniac game I've played was Sunset Overdrive.

The main mechanic that I enjoy so far is the collecting and upgrading the guns.  That part of the game feels the best to me and keeps me interested so far.  Sunset Overdrive was pretty similar in that regard.

• Like 1

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Nope, first one.  Only Insomniac game I've played was Sunset Overdrive.

The main mechanic that I enjoy so far is the collecting and upgrading the guns.  That part of the game feels the best to me and keeps me interested so far.  Sunset Overdrive was pretty similar in that regard.

R&C is big-time known for its wacky upgradable guns. I recently replayed a bunch of them (plus Into The Nexus for the first time) in anticipation of Rift Apart. Going Commando introduced upgradable weapons, Up Your Arsenal introduced 5 levels of upgradable weapons, and The Future series, starting with Tools of Destruction, introduced Raritanium as a secondary upgrade for each weapon.

Something the PS4 version doesn't have since it's a re-imagining of the first game is the arena. It's been in every mainline R&C since Going Commando, but the first R&C didn't have it, so it's not in the remake either. The arena is a great place to upgrade weapons and get new gadgets and upgrades, and in many newer games, parts for the RYNO. Here's a video of getting to the arena early in the game on UYA:

Rift Apart will have the arena again, which I'm thrilled to hear, though I guess it's not really a shock. 

Since BC with PS2/PS3 isn't a thing yet, that or a R&C Collection (or both) would be great for people to get into the series as a whole. There are R&C games on PS Now (Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty), but All 4 One is a different 4-player co-op game, and Crack in Time is the only full-length one, while Into The Nexus is basically a smaller version of a typical R&C game.

If you like the upgradable weapons and how zany they are, you might really really like R&C.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:19 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

rcriftapartpreview-blogroll-162077751044
WWW.IGN.COM

We saw over 30 minutes of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart gameplay, and came away impressed by the storytelling, exciting new gameplay, and Rivet.

ratchet3.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

A lengthy demo gave us a deep look into the game's worlds, story, and how it harnesses the power of PlayStation 5.

p09h5vdg.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Jordan Middler gets an early look at the next big PS5 exclusive.

3829719-feature_ratchetclankriftapartpre
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is shaping up to be a PS5 showpiece. Our in-depth preview delves into environments, weapons, and how Spider-Man shaped it.

Y3vkSyev4kpzenC2QkLo8N-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

"The story has become even more personal": Diving deep into the making of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart with Insomniac Games

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Sony shows us more of Insomniac Games' exclusive - https://youtu.be/5Sh1o-JuQWs You don’t need a preview for Ratchet &am...

RACRA_Rivet_Molonoth.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

It launches on June 11th.

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-PReview-RED.jpg
PRESS-START.COM.AU

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Preview - A Big Step Forward

ratchet_clank_rift_apart_ps5_06.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

Probably one of the most important games for any console is that first game that it feels like would’ve been completely impossible on the last generation of hardware. For...

RACRA_HammerDown.jpeg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Insomniac Games’ new hero, Rivet, opens a new world of possibilities

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: a PS5 stress-test built from charm (Eurogamer)

So they're saying the story is so good you might even call it........riveting?

Spoiler

Screenshot_116.png

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: "Weapons & Traversal" trailer

I finished the PS4 Ratchet and Clank.  It was enjoyable enough, but not something that totally hooked me or had me jumping to have to play another one.  

I do realize it's based on an older title, so maybe the franchise has evolved since then and is a bit of a deeper experience?

7 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I finished the PS4 Ratchet and Clank.  It was enjoyable enough, but not something that totally hooked me or had me jumping to have to play another one.  

I do realize it's based on an older title, so maybe the franchise has evolved since then and is a bit of a deeper experience?

It has; even the step from the original R&C to Going Commando was pretty significant back in the day. Like @SaysWho? mentioned, a lot has been added to the series since then. 

9 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

It has; even the step from the original R&C to Going Commando was pretty significant back in the day. Like @SaysWho? mentioned, a lot has been added to the series since then. 

Even to the point of Clank missions. Clank's gameplay is different depending on the game.

In Into The Nexus, it's this really cool side-scrolling gravity-controlling thing.

In Crack in Time, it's a fantastic puzzle experience where you have to record multiple versions of Clank to help each other get past an area or room.

The controls in PS4 R&C are top-notch, though, and it's probably the best controlling one, plus it incorporates weapons upgrades which the original did not. But the PS3 ones improved the strafing significantly from the PS2 ones.

Good to know.  Just trying to decide if I want to drop $70 on this or hold off with so much of a backlog anyways.  With how beautiful it looks I'm tempted to get it now, but we'll see.  May want to try some of the older titles on PS Now first as well, as I tend to like playing the entirety of a Franchise before diving into newer titles.