Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

I love how you guys are blown away by the visuals. This is a very good sign in what's in store 2 years from now.

Im sure PC players have seen this level before but I never even had a Ps Pro so it’s all new to me. It reminds me of when I upgraded from my 720p plasma to my 4K OLED. Just a lot “OHHHHH” moments. 

Standing in the middle of a rift and rotating the camera 360 degrees, seeing each world instantly load is impressive as hell. 

And of course, for me Rachet are like Nintendo games. So well made and so fun you just sit there with a smile the whole time 

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Im sure PC players have seen this level before but I never even had a Ps Pro so it’s all new to me. It reminds me of when I upgraded from my 720p plasma to my 4K OLED. Just a lot “OHHHHH” moments. 

Standing in the middle of a rift and rotating the camera 360 degrees, seeing each world instantly load is impressive as hell. 

And of course, for me Rachet are like Nintendo games. So well made and so fun you just sit there with a smile the whole time 

Honestly, we haven’t seen much of this on pc! :P We can put the resolution and certain things as high as we want but we are still stuck with the base games designed around last gen.

I still haven’t played much because of work but so far what I’ve seen really only Cyberpunk and Metro Enhanced maxed can stand with it. And flight simulator, but that’s too much of a different thing to really compare with anything, and personally this impresses me more until flight simulator actually models low ground well.

Still love that there's an arena in this game. I get why the 2016 one didn't have it, being a remake of the first game that also didn't have it, but I still missed it and am glad it's here. 

Also, if you haven't gotten to the "You know what you have, Glitch?" line yet, enjoy when you get there. I dunno how funny everyone else found it. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

This is officially the first game to soft-lock my PS5. Changed from fidelity to performance mode (resolution was acting weird on my TV when it was working perfect on my monitor) and the game just said fuck this man and his PS5.

Check the ps5 system video settings and see if allow 120hz is checked on, try changing it the other way and see if it fixes the problem with the tv. The game tries to output at 120hz to decrease latency but there are problems with it because the standard is wonk so it works for some people and not for others. They should change it to an in game setting with a warning so you don’t need to go into the system menu.

This is so fucking fun it’s just constantly cool stuff. I think some reviewers who knock it too much down for being a Rachet and Clank game want this something for this series I want no part of. It’s fucking rad as hell that this game is out in 2021 and like the best looking game out period almost. #<3insomniac

Ok ya @best3444 this is the best looking thing I’ve seen, which is crazy because I’ve seen some “next” gen looking ish already on pc. But not just for console but in general this is what I wanted to see back in Oct/Nov. There’s games that still totally count as “next” gen imo don’t get me wrong like RE8 and Returnal but this is the first WOW next gen game. Probably would have happened too without covid that we would have had this at launch, would have made it a lot more fun I think.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Ok ya @best3444 this is the best looking thing I’ve seen, which is crazy because I’ve seen some “next” gen looking ish already on pc. But not just for console but in general this is what I wanted to see back in Oct/Nov. There’s games that still totally count as “next” gen imo don’t get me wrong like RE8 and Returnal but this is the first WOW next gen game. Probably would have happened too without covid that we would have had this at launch, would have made it a lot more fun I think.

Thanks for sharing. I think you're correct, if covid didn't exist it would have been a launch game. That would have been an impressive launch title. Oh well, you're playing it now. That's awesome to read.

27 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Playing in performance RT mode and it's often difficult to even notice RT reflections because of how dense this game is. It really does look amazing.

I wonder how well Rift Apart stacks up to most kids TV shows these days.

As a babysitter at times of 2 young nieces. This game kicks a ton of their crappy shows animation to the curb. I wish the movie was a little better, but no reason this couldn’t work as a cartoon series. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I finished my first play through and got the Platinum! Going to play it again to max out the weapons.

That seems to continue tradition of not requiring maxing all weapons for a plat. I'm pretty sure I didn't for the 2016 version, though I could be wrong.

Something like that would make the plat tedious for some people, I think, leaving it for people who would find that very fun to do. With the arena's return in this game, maybe I'll do it. Who knows?!

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm seriously stunned at how an entire level can change right in front of you with those crystals. Trying to imagine the loading screens on a last-gen system!

They did it pretty well with TitanFall 2 . . . and I wanted more to be announced :( 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How is this game holding up? E3 over shadowed this and everyone got quiet. 

I’m finally going back to it today! Had to work all weekend and then I just really wanted to beat COD Cold War to get my 150gb back on my already can’t hold all my ps5 games ssd.

Excited for 4pm.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I’m finally going back to it today! Had to work all weekend and then I just really wanted to beat COD Cold War to get my 150gb back on my already can’t hold all my ps5 games ssd.

Excited for 4pm.

Good to hear. I have taken a big break from gaming due to being sick and work. I'll be starting up ME2 soon.

I think I’m close to the end of the game. I’m up to 11 Gold Bolts so far and I believe it said 67% on my game save file when I started last night. Little further now and so I’m probably mid 70’s percentage now. Loving the game myself but I will admit that these haven’t been my favourite weapons to play with. (Think 5 left to collect) I just find some of them a little underpowered at times, even with upgrades. Story has been great and just got to a nice character moment surprise which will be cool to see play out. Probably skip playing it tonight to watch Loki, but will hopefully maybe beat by Friday. Don’t know how much time with new puppy I have for gaming coming

On 6/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, SaysWho? said:

I'm seriously stunned at how an entire level can change right in front of you with those crystals. Trying to imagine the loading screens on a last-gen system!

Not a last gen system, but I’m convinced Jade Empire was just a glorified loading simulator. So glad we’re past those days!

For anyone whose a decent way into this. Are there Metroidvania aspects to this? Or do missions have you revisit planets? Just trying to decide if I should be trying to completely clear this plant before moving forward or if I’ll naturally get brought back. 

18 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

For anyone whose a decent way into this. Are there Metroidvania aspects to this? Or do missions have you revisit planets? Just trying to decide if I should be trying to completely clear this plant before moving forward or if I’ll naturally get brought back. 

You'll revisit a few times, not too many. But if you can clear it in your first go, I think that works just fine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heydude93 said:

I don't have this game yet, but seeing the in game rift-shifting mechanic at a friend's house yesterday knocked me the fuck out. It's like Portal amped up to eleven :epilepsy:

Hell yes. First time I hit one of those crystals, my jaw dropped.

I'm mostly done with the game, and while we got basically exactly what you would expect, I also want more. The graphics are killer. They're impressive in nearly every possible way. Hardly enough can be said about how good this game looks while achieving such an incredible density and also swapping between dimensions instantly.

As far as the game is concerned, it's a Ratchet and Clank game with very few surprises. It continues to do things the series has done well, with cartoon characters firing crazy guns while telling a silly story. Nothing is done poorly, but I also can't help but wish the series would move on a bit. I wouldn't say the game itself feels stale, but the formula kinda does.

R&C is hardly unique in this. Plenty of series stick to the same formula that gained them popularity (looking at you Pokemon). If all you want is to play some more R&C with a fun new set of guns and an incredible coat of paint, then there is hardly a flaw to be found in Rift Apart. If you were hoping the game might evolve along with the graphics, no such luck.

• Guillotine 1