Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

Had a great run last night... went and beat Phrike again to use the datacube machine and then made my way to the second biome and beat the second boss (my third attempt with him) One thing to remember with the dodge is that you have invicibilty when you dodge for a few frames so you can actually dodge THROUGH stuff. That's key to beating the second boss because it's the ONLY way to avoid getting hit by some of his attacks. I recorded both boss battles and will upload them later. Also I fixed my privacy settings on PSN and added a few folks here, but if anyone else wants to add me feel free. Skillzdadirecta.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

I also figured that out by accident! I was just hanging around in like the 20th run in the first biome while talking to my wife. I was mostly just listening to her speak while absentmindedly exploring a room when I saw the switch. When I shot it and the gate opened, I started laughing and shouting hysterically and she was like wtf?

Gotta love explaining that stuff to the lady. :sun:

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Had a great run last night... went and beat Phrike again to use the datacube machine and then made my way to the second biome and beat the second boss (my third attempt with him) One thing to remember with the dodge is that you have invicibilty when you dodge for a few frames so you can actually dodge THROUGH stuff. That's key to beating the second boss because it's the ONLY way to avoid getting hit by some of his attacks. I recorded both boss battles and will upload them later. Also I fixed my privacy settings on PSN and added a few folks here, but if anyone else wants to add me feel free. Skillzdadirecta.

When I acquired a suit augment that allowed me to stay invincible for longer, my thought was, "Wait, there are invincibility frames?" 

17 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MotionlessIgnorantThymeTBTacoRight-kpZBNfE2RDqiqVvB

The part of the Tutorial with the Door Switch.  Right after grabbing the pistol.

It was pretty obvious to me the entire time afterwards there were switches, especially with some being very visible.

I have no idea how I forgot about that.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But I heard your voice. :thinking:

Streaming records your voice. I'm guessing you've never used the PS4 one, eh? :p 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've only used the Xbone one and it has nothing to record my voice with :cool:

If you don't have a headset, your DualSense will pick up your voice. tbh, I've been floored by how easy and good the streaming/photo and video taking has been on the PS4 and PS5. I was itching for that feature on the PSWii60.

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If you don't have a headset, your DualSense will pick up your voice. tbh, I've been floored by how easy and good the streaming/photo and video taking has been on the PS4 and PS5. I was itching for that feature on the PSWii60.

I do have a capture card and microphone setup on my PC to stream with. don't stream from the PS5. 

I have it hooked up cause friends do stop by and ask questions about the game from time to time so its fun to shoot the shit.  

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I do have a capture card and microphone setup on my PC to stream with. don't stream from the PS5. 

I had considered building a streaming PC but turns out, this past year hasn't been a good time to put one together. :p

(I was going to say this earlier but didn't want to stray too far off topic as I was only giving you a friendly jab about the face cam thing)

I don't know how you guys handle the stress and disappointment in losing to the bosses. I'd lose my mind. The more I read this thread the more I'm pretty positive I'll never play this game in the future. I just don't have the skill or patience to do what you guys are doing.

Many props to you who are facing this game like champs.  🏆 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I don't know how you guys handle the stress and disappointment in losing to the bosses. I'd lose my mind. The more I read this thread the more I'm pretty positive I'll never play this game in the future. I just don't have the skill or patience to do what you guys are doing.

Honestly it sounds worse and more intimidating than it actually is.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly it sounds worse and more intimidating than it actually is.

The way I see it, if people like Adriana Chechik are playing it, it's not that hard. :p

17 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I got to the 3rd boss again but couldn't survive the 3rd part of the fight. Those mini bosses can be a pain in the ass.

3rd part of the boss can be difficult. Not staying on any one platform for too long helped me. Make sure you have an astronaut artifact and if you're lucky to find a parasite one that'll resurrect you with a critical malfunction, get that as well.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

3rd part of the boss can be difficult. Not staying on any one platform for too long helped me. Make sure you have an astronaut artifact and if you're lucky to find a parasite one that'll resurrect you with a critical malfunction, get that as well.

The Astronauts have been very rare for me and I haven't come across the 2nd item so far. I did get a shuttle for the first time recently.

This is my first run through of each boss.  2nd overall run after the tutorial.  Watching it back it is hard to watch how bad I was at times, taking hit after hit after hit.  Now I run through them barely getting hit.  I definitely got lucky a few times thanks to the item that built back my shields.

Its shocking how little I grew my health bar going into the first boss.  Now when I run it my health bar feels like its almost double the size.  I also went into the 2nd boss with such little health and almost managed to beat him. 

Obviously don't watch for spoilers.

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

meant to post this the other day. Here's my takedowns of the first two bosses... my second time beating Phrike and first time beating the second guy.

Watched the entire thing. Well done! You made it seem like I could possibly pull that off. That was kind of intense to watch. 

• Thanks 1

I should have recorded my daily challenge I did when I got back into the game. The first thing I did after not playing for a week was do a daily challenge. They gave me the shotgun to use in Biome 6. I ended up falling off a ledge several times, falling off each time because I kept backing away from the enemies when I respawned. I lost almost all my health, then was hit once, and this was within a minute of starting the challenge.

Despite that, I was ranked maybe 700 from the bottom, so a lot of others had some serious and embarrassing issues with that challenge.

45 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I should have recorded my daily challenge I did when I got back into the game. The first thing I did after not playing for a week was do a daily challenge. They gave me the shotgun to use in Biome 6. I ended up falling off a ledge several times, falling off each time because I kept backing away from the enemies when I respawned. I lost almost all my health, then was hit once, and this was within a minute of starting the challenge.

Despite that, I was ranked maybe 700 from the bottom, so a lot of others had some serious and embarrassing issues with that challenge.

Well the good news is that a lot of people dropping off the game is getting me a cheap-ass copy. I have four local friends who bought it and they all dropped it and hate it so I'm getting a $20 copy as a result. :dab2:

Still gonna shelf it and wait for patches and balancing and so on though for now, got enough to play.