Neon Genesis Evangelion is extremely good

I don’t know what else to say, I just wanted to create a space in which I can discuss it. I am half way through the series and it is extremely, extremely good. I would rank Episode 9 as one of the finest pieces of episodic animation ever created. 

It's one of my favorite anime series of all time. Just make sure to watch the pseudo-sequel anime film Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion after you are done with all 26 episodes of the show. The show becomes increasingly obtuse after episode 16 and onward, so if you have any questions once you are done the series and movie, just ask!

But it's a beautiful show and still holds up today.

There are some really good parts, but I don't really like it overall. I have seen the first two remake-ish movies and over half of the original anime episodes., but I just couldn't get into it enough to finish it. And I bought the whole box set which I sold about a year ago for $250. 

I recently watched it as my semi-annual anime. I thought it was pretty okay overall but I wish it had more of what it gets into towards the end sprinkled throughout the first 15 episodes. It just felt like a lot of the stuff near the end of the series and in the movie was unearned. That said, I'm kind of a dyed in the wool anime hater, and while this show didn't change my mind, I enjoyed watching it well-enough.

This song is pretty dope though.

Also that shit in the movie with

Spoiler

Shinji jerking off to Asuka's comatose body

was just tasteless.

1 hour ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

The new Netflix dubs and translations change some key ideas and really bring the series down. If you have the ability, track down the original ADV tracks and watch it again with those =)

The only thing I remember it changing was the relationship between Kaworu and Shinji because Netflix opted for a more literal translation. There was also some minor stuff like licensing issues with one of the songs and one of his more prominent lines. Is there more that I'm missing?

Though you can pretty easily find blu-ray rips from the Japanese release where people went back and added the original english dub.

7 hours ago, Nokt said:

The only thing I remember it changing was the relationship between Kaworu and Shinji because Netflix opted for a more literal translation. There was also some minor stuff like licensing issues with one of the songs and one of his more prominent lines. Is there more that I'm missing?

Though you can pretty easily find blu-ray rips from the Japanese release where people went back and added the original english dub.

There were a lot of little things. One could debate how the new voice actors, while all sounding fine, don't sound as iconic as the original VA's in their roles. Tiffany Grant, specifically, was already fluent in speaking German, and she had Asuka speak a bit more in that language in certain scenes that also sounded better/correct than the new actress does (and even the original Jp voice actress). Then the new translations, which are more accurate to the original Japanese script, sound much stiffer because a lot less of it was localized for English speakers - example, if there was a youthful character in school saying, "What's up?," then he/she was re-translated into saying, "How are you feeling today?" I think there was also the Child/Children change, where Japan called Shinji the 'Third Children' while ADV changed it to 'Third Child' - again, the new translation is more faithful, but sounds awkward. And there's definitely that last line changing an entire concept that fans have accepted over the years about Shinji and Kaworu's relationship.

The new dub isn't bad, but it's nowhere near as "vibrant" as the original dub, imo. Lines were added in during some scenes in the ADV version that weren't in the Japanese version, but it made the cast of characters feel more robust (Asuka once walked into a room angrily and threw her bag on the ground, and ADV added in Shinji and Rei faintly arguing with each other in another room. While those lines are not in the original Jp track, it still added character depth to a scene that was deemed dry.) And purists can argue "original intent" when talking about these scenes, but at the time the license holder of the franchise told ADV to go ahead and do what would sound natural in English, giving them cart-blanche to make these additions. And honestly, I think a lot of fans are just as mad at the current franchise holders for the 0.0 movies and being embarrassed about the 3.33 translation they saw in Texas and how that domino'd to them demanding new translations being made for all Eva works - past or present.

I think we discussed the transation stuff in this thread already:

I just think they went with a more literal translation instead of a localized translation.

Kind of like how Phoenix Wright games are so brilliant is because they localize the translations so well instead of just doing a by the book translation.

Here's a good article (about Phoenix Wright) on the localization process: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/23/ace-attorneys-localisation-team-shares-a-peek-behind-the-wordplay-curtain/

or the blog post explaining it anyhow: https://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2019/03/23/ace-attorney-grave-wordplay-localizations-and-their-gravy-consequences

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think we discussed the transation stuff in this thread already:

Yea, I was looking for the link to the original behind the scenes forum post that I linked to in that thread. It pretty much explains why there's a lot more backlash to the new translation on top of people not preferring the new to the old already =)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=683#post496129527

11 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

There were a lot of little things. One could debate how the new voice actors, while all sounding fine, don't sound as iconic as the original VA's in their roles. Tiffany Grant, specifically, was already fluent in speaking German, and she had Asuka speak a bit more in that language in certain scenes that also sounded better/correct than the new actress does (and even the original Jp voice actress). Then the new translations, which are more accurate to the original Japanese script, sound much stiffer because a lot less of it was localized for English speakers - example, if there was a youthful character in school saying, "What's up?," then he/she was re-translated into saying, "How are you feeling today?" I think there was also the Child/Children change, where Japan called Shinji the 'Third Children' while ADV changed it to 'Third Child' - again, the new translation is more faithful, but sounds awkward. And there's definitely that last line changing an entire concept that fans have accepted over the years about Shinji and Kaworu's relationship.

The new dub isn't bad, but it's nowhere near as "vibrant" as the original dub, imo. Lines were added in during some scenes in the ADV version that weren't in the Japanese version, but it made the cast of characters feel more robust (Asuka once walked into a room angrily and threw her bag on the ground, and ADV added in Shinji and Rei faintly arguing with each other in another room. While those lines are not in the original Jp track, it still added character depth to a scene that was deemed dry.) And purists can argue "original intent" when talking about these scenes, but at the time the license holder of the franchise told ADV to go ahead and do what would sound natural in English, giving them cart-blanche to make these additions. And honestly, I think a lot of fans are just as mad at the current franchise holders for the 0.0 movies and being embarrassed about the 3.33 translation they saw in Texas and how that domino'd to them demanding new translations being made for all Eva works - past or present.

I think thats a pretty impossible task to be given either way. Anyone who expected it to be as iconic had unrealistic expectations.

I should note that I'm not disagreeing with you. I would recommend the ADV dub when given the choice. Given the mostly small quirks, I don't think the Netflix dub should be considered anywhere near bad or even avoided.

41 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I think thats a pretty impossible task to be given either way. Anyone who expected it to be as iconic had unrealistic expectations.

I should note that I'm not disagreeing with you. I would recommend the ADV dub when given the choice. Given the mostly small quirks, I don't think the Netflix dub should be considered anywhere near bad or even avoided.

Yea, I'm not meaning to crap on the new translations all that much. But the ADV versions are much better, imo, and I think they actually give broader meanings and reasons to the ideas in the franchise than this new one does =)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

To be clear, we are talking about the 1995 series on Netflix right? I have watched two episodes so far and I am pretty lost. Not loving it so far, but I will trudge through.

We're talking about the new translations (dub and sub) done to the 1995 series in 2019 because of how Japan got embarrassed about the new 2010 movies being laughed at (3.0+1 specifically)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

@Greatoneshere

I just finished Episode 18 annnnnnd I don’t think a piece of media has ever made me that upset. I wouldn’t have ever thought a mecha fight could be so unnerving. 

Yeah, I agree! For a now old show, the direction and music, etc. are all so good it transcends its age and you still get all the feels. It will continue to get more obtuse, but hang in there, it's worth it. I don't think this is a spoiler, just note that episodes 25 and 26 are what goes on inside of Shinji's head and the movie The End of Evangelion is what is actually going on in the story outside of his head, so don't get thrown off by the ending of the show, the movie is still there and its amazing and a must watch. There are hints and images and clues during the end of the TV show that do indicate what is going on outside of Shinji's head but the film elaborates on it all a lot more. I can't exactly tell by going to Netflix but you should know that episodes 21 thru 24 have director's cut versions which are better than the original TV versions so I recommend watching those if at all possible over the originals but if you have to watch the original versions instead it's not the end of the world. 

And since you will be current with the show, you can skip Death & Rebirth. Death is just a quick recap of the entire TV series and Rebirth is more or less the first 30 minutes of The End of Evangelion, so there's nothing to be gained by watching Death & Rebirth. You can go straight to The End of Evangelion after you finish the TV series. It is a shame about the different dub if only because the original dub is such a classic that is burned into my memory.

I finished the series and The End of Evangelion and have concluded that it is indeed extremely good. Reading about how End is basically a ‘fuck you’ monkey paw to everyone who disliked the series ending absolutely ruled. An 84 minute polemic against fandom. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, AlltheAnime just announced that they acquired the home video distribution rights for the original tv series (exclusive to the UK). And they're a company known to go through a lot of red tape to get all the extras and bonuses for any one anime that they release (commercials, video game ads, etc). So this will be a good idea as to what the license holders will allow/won't allow for the franchise going forward. Even if they're required to use the new dubs and translations, who knows if they'd be denied putting in the ADV stuff (plenty of anime on bluray releases have multiple dubs available to switch between on one disc nowadays).

https://www.alltheanime.com/collections/neon-genesis-evangelion

2 hours ago, erehwon said:

So what is the best home release of this to watch?  I have the platinum collection and The End of Evangelion on dvd.  Are there any better releases?

Nope, those are the best. Well, End of Eva was encoded pretty poorly, and I think either the UK or Australian release was the better release. And technically Japan released the series set with the movies on a slick bluray, but it's not English friendly.

For now, the platinum collection is the tops, and the Manga dvd releases of the movies are fine (especially considering that the foreign releases are OOP). We'll see how the AlltheAnime comes out, since they're great with their bonus content but have been known to be pretty lousy with their own in house encodes =/

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In the end you both lose for listening to dubs.

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

The type of people who would listen to dubs

Reveal hidden contents

The type of people who would listen to subs

Reveal hidden contents

Let me make one thing clear: no words in the English language could express how little I care. 

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Twitter is down for me atm, but earlier today GKids announced they have the rights to release the series in America. But questions are still out there - which dub/sub will be included? Will this just be a 1:1 reproduction of AlltheAnime's UK release? Will GKids license Fly Me to the Moon for this release?

https://twitter.com/gkidsfilms/statu...005548544?s=21

GKIDS is proud to announce the acquisition of the North American home video and theatrical rights to NEON GENESIS EVANGELION.

Properties included:
▸ NEON GENESIS EVANGELION (26 ep. TV series)
▸ EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)²
▸ THE END OF EVANGELION

�� evangelion.gkids.com