9 Hated Videogames That Deserve A Second Chance.

No Man's Sky was absolutely not a fucking case of fans just hyping it up. Murray straight up lied during interviews many times. Not mislead people or stretched the truth, motherfucker just made shit up or I guess hoped it would be there?

Don't twist history like that, every word he said (which is what expectations people had were based on) is on video. It's not just "snippets" of interviews. He is asked a question, and then gives an answer that is demonstrably false. Many of his lies are features still not in the game to this day. How did we come to this narrative that it was just people "hyping up" the game?

If the game is better now, great, but that doesn't erase lies told. And a hard yes to a question where the real answer is a hard no is a lie, whether you hoped you'd get that feature in or not. He set the expectations and then was a universe away from meeting them. And the game is still bad, there's just actual stuff to do in it now so it's not as bad as it originally was. They never fixed how it feels terrible to actually move around and shoot, which is a shame because you shoot a lot of friggin' rocks in that game.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

If you don't like the game and don't wanna support it, yeah I'm not singling you out. 

If your attitude years after the release of the game is "yeah fuck this I'll never buy this product out of principle because they misled me," and still have a genuine level of fury, I think (the royal) you are being naive and immature and frankly to use a word I don't even really like a snowflake. 

Nobody has a gun to your head to buy a game full price though. My advice especially on new IPs is to know what you're buying if you're going to pay full price, and it's SO easy to do that nowadays I have zero sympathy if you didn't understand what the game actually was and yet you're mad at the developer. There are things to be legitimately angry at if you buy the game knowing what it is - crashes, save ruining bugs, whatever - but to pre order a video game for 60 dollars to then shout "this isn't what I wanted it to be!" That's on (again, the royal) you. 

In terms of not the royal you, I would just say I don't have a problem with you not being interested in what you feel is an incomplete experience at launch. But if the game becomes something different over the years and becomes a more fleshed out thing that you actually would like, but you won't buy it because it happened to launch in a state that you didn't like, I think that's odd and silly. 

I'll take odd and silly as I just realized I'm too lazy to rephrase what I already posted. If the shoe fits I guess.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

No Man's Sky was absolutely not a fucking case of fans just hyping it up. Murray straight up lied during interviews many times. Not mislead people or stretched the truth, motherfucker just made shit up or I guess hoped it would be there?

Don't twist history like that, every word he said (which is what expectations people had were based on) is on video. It's not just "snippets" of interviews. He is asked a question, and then gives an answer that is demonstrably false. Many of his lies are features still not in the game to this day. How did we come to this narrative that it was just people "hyping up" the game?

If the game is better now, great, but that doesn't erase lies told. And a hard yes to a question where the real answer is a hard no is a lie, whether you hoped you'd get that feature in or not. He set the expectations and then was a universe away from meeting them. And the game is still bad, there's just actual stuff to do in it now so it's not as bad as it originally was. They never fixed how it feels terrible to actually move around and shoot, which is a shame because you shoot a lot of friggin' rocks in that game.

If you wanna say he lied, I can’t argue with it. I said misled because it seems likely to me that he believed the the things he was saying were in the game were actually going to make it in the game - and largely at this point they have, if not more. I’m not excusing the way he answered those questions. Frankly he seems socially awkward and in over his head as the face of a company. I empathize with him because I fear conflict and tension in real life and find myself discharging it as fast as I can sometimes. But again, what he did was wrong and I’m not defending it. 

Regardless I don’t take back my other sentiments.

Hey you can feel however you like about the state of the game, I'm only saying that we don't need to rewrite what happened to spin it so Hello Games looks better than they need to. They stuck to their guns, buckled down and made the game better without charging more. That's a worthwhile, admirable endeavor whether they lied or not. But I think if we pretend it was the fan's fault, we're both excusing what they did and setting ourselves up for it to happen again.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:58 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

The problem with Sea of Thieves is that if you're solo, GTFO.

That’s not true at all. I’ve done a great many of things solo in the game. 

However, if there are people in here who want to dive into SoT, I’m sure @The def star & I would be more than happy to accommodate some new deckhands. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Firewithin said:

tried 3 times with shadow of war.  it was just not the same level as Mordor.  it was suffocating how many enemies there were and you couldn't really do anything without constantly running into packs or fighting a captain or whatever without inevitable having one or two more show up at the same time.

It has been too long for me to remember specifics, but I remember having similar issues early, but by the middle of the game you have enough upgrades to take on anything. I enjoyed it and hope to see another some day. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I had fun with the game solo and this was around the time it launched. I haven't even tried it after they added all the new content.

I haven’t played in some time. They’ve added a lot of content since I last played, too, and I played it for well over a year. 

On 5/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, Firewithin said:

tried 3 times with shadow of war.  it was just not the same level as Mordor.  it was suffocating how many enemies there were and you couldn't really do anything without constantly running into packs or fighting a captain or whatever without inevitable having one or two more show up at the same time.

Good god I remember that happening way to much. It would be you verse a captain and 15 of his buddies and 1/2 way thru Grom “The Nutsack” would show up with a half dozen of his mouth breathers . Then a minute later Groms 1/2 brother, Grim “The Panty Sniffer” pops outa no where and he’s immune to like 95% of your attacks. 

Is it bad I actually enjoyed No Man’s Sky even at launch? I’m a bit of a space nerd. The freedom of just flying around a galaxy and exploring planets amazed me. The surreal atmosphere of the planets and feeling of “aloneness” and ambient sounds were awesome. Also, it’s FAR better now, than at launch. So just my 2 cents. 

16 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

Is it bad I actually enjoyed No Man’s Sky even at launch? I’m a bit of a space nerd. The freedom of just flying around a galaxy and exploring planets amazed me. The surreal atmosphere of the planets and feeling of “aloneness” and ambient sounds were awesome. Also, it’s FAR better now, than at launch. So just my 2 cents. 

Do you play Elite Dangerous or Eve Online or any of the other space sim games?