House Democrats to Unveil $760 Billion Infrastructure Plan

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/us/politics/house-democrats-infrastructure-plan.htm

House Democrats on Wednesday plan to unveil a five-year, $760 billion framework for rebuilding the nation’s highways, airports and other infrastructure, laying out an election-year package with little chance of enactment after bipartisan talks with the White House on the issue failed to gain traction.

The outline, billed as the “Moving Forward Framework,” provides a foundation for legislation that is currently being drafted or debated in House committees, according to a senior Democratic aide who was familiar with the plans but was unauthorized to discuss them before a public announcement on Wednesday.

The 19-page plan to be proposed by Democrats includes $329 billion for investment in transportation systems, including improving safety measures for bicyclists and pedestrians, and $105 billion for transit agencies and maintenance needs. The framework also includes $55 billion in railway investments for both the expansion of the country’s passenger rail network and improvement of Amtrak stations and services, $19.7 billion for the upkeep of harbors and ports, $86 billion for the expansion of broadband access and additional funds to address greenhouse gas pollution and increase climate resiliency.

There will also be $21.4 billion for the preservation of clean drinking water and communities dealing with toxic chemicals that can contaminate drinking water, known as PFAS. Democrats struggled to include stronger regulations for PFAS in must-pass defense policy legislation late last year, and passed a stand-alone measure in early January.

And while the framework also includes transportation and infrastructure legislation routinely addressed by Congress, Democrats made a point of emphasizing efforts to counter climate change and its effects.

8 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The road funding is a waste of money anyway unless 100% of it goes to maintenance. America needs to stop building new highways.

We need telework incentives.   Half the people in our IT dept could telework...but Management and Mid Level Burecrats won't let that happen....and it's the same pretty much on every other projecy I've worked on in the DC area.....if they did you cut DC traffic by 1/4th I bet.

For me it's a 10 minute 5 mile drive....most other people drive an 45 minutes to an hour around the Beltway and further.

If only we could take helicopters to work and  social events like the cake eaters..

31 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

We need telework incentives.   Half the people in our IT dept could telework...but Management and Mid Level Burecrats won't let that happen....and it's the same pretty much on every other projecy I've worked on in the DC area.....if they did you cut DC traffic by 1/4th I bet.

For me it's a 10 minute 5 mile drive....most other people drive an 45 minutes to an hour around the Beltway and further.

If only we could take helicopters to work and  social events like the cake eaters..

Service workers can't telework.

And all the talk of long commutes in the DC area is just a reminder that we need zoning reform and need to build a lot of housing.

50 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

My department (IT) for a school division has had telework for 5 years. New director came in, found out, and tried to take it away. The only thing that saved us was the lack of office space to move everyone else in. The reason they wanted us there? "Teacher's can't telecommute, so no one else in the division should be able to."

There are a lot of dinosaurs out there running things.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That reminds me of a time I was consulting for a credit union in the DC area. I was an IT consultant and lived in Chicago. They had me fly out there Monday-Thursday with WFH on friday. I guess before I came on, they had everyone out there through Friday as well. They had to fight to get Fridays home, and the only reason for it was the head of that department didn't like WFH. The company had all the infrastructure set up for remote work too. I missed Diwali because they wouldn't let me work remote.

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My department (IT) for a school division has had telework for 5 years. New director came in, found out, and tried to take it away. The only thing that saved us was the lack of office space to move everyone else in. The reason they wanted us there? "Teacher's can't telecommute, so no one else in the division should be able to."

That sounds familiar. I worked for a company that was acquired. Prior to the acquisition, folks generally only came into the office 4 days a week and telecommuted the fifth day or came in all five days and went half day on Fridays. It was up to employees and their managers to choose whatever it is they wanted to do. New company came in, bought us, and said no more of that. Reason? Because their other offices don't have that option. Hell, I had to travel to another office for maintenance window to work on servers in my office, remotely...because that's where everyone else is during maintenance.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That sounds familiar. I worked for a company that was acquired. Prior to the acquisition, folks generally only came into the office 4 days a week and telecommuted the fifth day or came in all five days and went half day on Fridays. It was up to employees and their managers to choose whatever it is they wanted to do. New company came in, bought us, and said no more of that. Reason? Because their other offices don't have that option. Hell, I had to travel to another office for maintenance window to work on servers in my office, remotely...because that's where everyone else is during maintenance.

Sounds about right. The reason the new director even knew about our telecommuting was because other office staff (in HR, payroll, etc) were jealous of our perks. The thing is...our manager drew up recommendations years ago with guidelines on what type of employee could be allowed to telecommute or not. Obviously people who need to physically do their jobs in the office could not leave (receptionist, caretaker, etc), but many others in the division could, if approved. But instead of pushing for their own telecommuting they tried to take ours away. Pretty standard behaviour in an office environment, unfortunately.