~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

pubmed-meta-image.png
PUBMED.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Inactivated COVID-19 vaccine BBV152/COVAXIN effectively neutralizes recently emerged B 1.1.7 variant of SARS-CoV-2

Efficacy numbers aren’t available yet, but it being published on PubMed means they should be available very soon. The strong term of “neutralize” over “effective against” makes me hopeful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
pubmed-meta-image.png
PUBMED.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Inactivated COVID-19 vaccine BBV152/COVAXIN effectively neutralizes recently emerged B 1.1.7 variant of SARS-CoV-2

Efficacy numbers aren’t available yet, but it being published on PubMed means they should be available very soon. The strong term of “neutralize” over “effective against” makes me hopeful.

What does "inactivated" mean here? 

In order to enter Canada now you need a COVID-19 test result, and you also need to stay a few days in a hotel. Some people are really entitled:

Empty-Saskatoon-Airport-web-pic-e1614988
GLOBALNEWS.CA

The federal government has, for months, urged Canadians to avoid all non-essential travel in order to stem the spread of COVID-19.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

How on Earth did you arrive there?

Inactivated virus vaccine neutralizing the virus, plus previous reading about how J&J was tested in an environment more like where we're at now, especially on variants, but so on people starting to give less of a shit about taking COVID precautions seriously—you wouldn't get 95% on the mRNA vaccines if you tested them at the same time as J&J was tested. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Inactivated virus vaccine neutralizing the virus, plus previous reading about how J&J was tested in an environment more like where we're at now, especially on variants, but so on people starting to give less of a shit about taking COVID precautions seriously—you wouldn't get 95% on the mRNA vaccines if you tested them at the same time as J&J was tested. 

That’s a massive leap. I’d expect the mRNA vaccines to follow a similar pattern to Novavax, but not be as low as J&J. Also, this was a study on COVAXIN not the J&J vaccine.

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

You likely get HIGHER, not lower, effective rates on the mRNA vaccines than during the conditions under which they were tested because herd immunity is growing. When they were tested you probably had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million people with infection derived immunity.

We likely have 100 million people in that category and 90 million who have some level of vaccine derived immunity. With some certain overlap there, you’re still probably in the 120-130 million people with some level of immunity now compared to 20 million when they were running these trials.

This is precisely why we are unlikely to see much increase in rates of infection nationally even with states getting rid of restrictions.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I tolt y’all. This was already pretty clear in the early Israeli data. That’s why the CDC already said vaccinated people don’t need to quarantine or distance after exposure.

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Ohio opened up eligibility for everyone today, so of course I can't find anywhere that has appointments available. It's gonna be like trying to find a new console, isn't it? 

gotta git gud on figuring out when new appointments are opened up

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Ohio opened up eligibility for everyone today, so of course I can't find anywhere that has appointments available. It's gonna be like trying to find a new console, isn't it? 

Try looking during the early morning hours for your best chance.

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Friend of mine in cleveland had to drive an hour for her shot so hopefully you are able to be flexible on when/where for yours

Two friends got their first shot Saturday, another getting their first on Wednesday, so four families in my friend group may be fully vaccinated (2 weeks after shot #2 included, but not counting kids) by Mid May so I might have an honest to god party for my birthday (end of May) and that's not something I normally want to do. Between fully vaccinated and any partials by that point, it should be pretty safe for all, considering it will largely be outside (it'll basically be summer). We will see though! Cautiously optimistic, but two full months out from then still

Right now, the only people in my immediate family who aren't vaccinated at all are my dad, my older brother and his wife, and my younger brother.  Younger brother was the one that had Covid a couple weeks ago, so he can't get one until after 90 days have passed.  Don't know what the status is with the others.  Maybe they can't find an appointment, or aren't eligible?

Worth looking at the Israeli vaccination and case data Here again.

2 months ago they had ~22% of their population vaccinated and about ~700 cases per million population. Today they have ~55% and ~66 cases per million population. Over a 90% decrease in case counts in 2 months with "reopening".

Where is the US right now? We're sitting at about ~22% vaccinated and about 190 cases per million population. In two months we should be in a similar place, or maybe better depending on J&J, based on current vaccination rates.

8 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Right now, the only people in my immediate family who aren't vaccinated at all are my dad, my older brother and his wife, and my younger brother.  Younger brother was the one that had Covid a couple weeks ago, so he can't get one until after 90 days have passed.  Don't know what the status is with the others.  Maybe they can't find an appointment, or aren't eligible?

You only have to wait 90 days if he had particular treatments, which unless he wa hospitalized probably did not.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Worth looking at the Israeli vaccination and case data Here again.

2 months ago they had ~22% of their population vaccinated and about ~700 cases per million population. Today they have ~55% and ~66 cases per million population. Over a 90% decrease in case counts in 2 months with "reopening".

Where is the US right now? We're sitting at about ~22% vaccinated and about 190 cases per million population. In two months we should be in a similar place, or maybe better depending on J&J, based on current vaccination rates.

Maybe better off because we likely have a much larger share of the population with infection derived immunity than Israel from my memory of their infection data.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Maybe better off because we likely have a much larger share of the population with infection derived immunity than Israel from my memory of their infection data.

This is true.

It's also worth noting that Israel has a green pass program which is basically vaccine passports. More restrictions are lifted if you only allow people who are vaccinated at your business or venue, with some space for those unvaccinated (but limited)

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Is that true?  Even if that was the case, I don't think he's eligible yet anyway.

Yes. The initial CDC guidance was 90 days past infection, they later changed it to be more specific in regards to those who had severe cases requiring hospitalization and enhanced treatments. Basically the idea is those who had the most severe cases may not have their immune system fully back up to snuff and would be at risk for a substantial adverse reaction.

Eligibility, eligismilty. Make and appointment.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah but the big question is what's the overlap between that population and the vaccinated population. Do we have any kind of solid estimate on that?