Films are quietly disappearing from Disney Plus

Films are quietly disappearing from Disney Plus

In fact, as 2020 began, some Disney Plus users noticed that a few films had gone missing from the streaming library. Dr. Dolittle, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Home Alone and Home Alone 2, and The Sandlot are no longer streamable on Disney Plus. All these titles disappeared without warning, and so far, Disney has not commented on the titles.

Sounds like a bunch of these are going to other streaming services and premium channels due to previously agreed upon contracts. Unless Disney keeps making new contacts going forward, I'd have to imagine this will stop happening as soon as all those random contacts expire.

However, given that Black Panther will arrive on Disney+ this spring and then disappear back to Netflix in 2026, that might take a while.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol “without warning” 

because it’s common practice for any streaming service to give you a big heads up on what got taken off that week when you boot up. 

I feel like Amazon, Hulu and Netflix do. Every month several websites publish what's coming and going to Netflix and I don't think they're just pulling the info out of their ass.

Not to mention on your streaming list it will say "leaving netflix on..."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/new-on-netflix/

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol “without warning” 

because it’s common practice for any streaming service to give you a big heads up on what got taken off that week when you boot up. 

... they do. There’s monthly lists for what’s coming to and leaving Netflix for example.

I think it's more notable for Disney+ to lose things than for Netflix or HBO. I realize licencing deals are odd and they're going to have a bunch of them even for the foreseeable future, but the implicit promise of Disney+ is that it's everything Disney in one place. You really don't want to muddy that issue with movies coming and going.

I do hate it when things leave a streaming service without warning. I'm watching through Battlestar Galactica again, and I was watching it on Amazon Prime, but it left Prime when I was half way through the first season. Funny enough, I have it on Blu Ray, but it was so much easier to watch it streaming.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I think it's more notable for Disney+ to lose things than for Netflix or HBO. I realize licencing deals are odd and they're going to have a bunch of them even for the foreseeable future, but the implicit promise of Disney+ is that it's everything Disney in one place. You really don't want to muddy that issue with movies coming and going.

I do hate it when things leave a streaming service without warning. I'm watching through Battlestar Galactica again, and I was watching it on Amazon Prime, but it left Prime when I was half way through the first season. Funny enough, I have it on Blu Ray, but it was so much easier to watch it streaming.

There are also several things that were in their launch list for D+ that are still not on the service. The Aladdin 90’s TV cartoon series, as well as the TV movie Underwraps and several other things.