Bravely Default II – Announcement Trailer

Pikachu

An original RPG experience is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020 from the team that brought you the Bravely series and Octopath Traveler, and featuring music from Revo, acclaimed composer of the original Bravely Default soundtrack.

A new world, a new story and all-new Heroes of Light await!

Even with how bland the story and characters in Bravely Default were, they were like high-end theater compared to the fucking vapid emptiness that was the Octopath Traveler story and cast. That game was a novel battle system wrapped in the shittiest JRPG I've ever played, and I've played a lot of shitty JRPGs. How anyone could make a long, story-based game have no story is beyond me, but by god they did it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pikachu said:

The Octopath Traveler developers are going to work together with the Bravely Default developers on this game. I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

🤔 hmmmm ok...

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Even with how bland the story and characters in Bravely Default were, they were like high-end theater compared to the fucking vapid emptiness that was the Octopath Traveler story and cast. That game was a novel battle system wrapped in the shittiest JRPG I've ever played, and I've played a lot of shitty JRPGs. How anyone could make a long, story-based game have no story is beyond me, but by god they did it.

You cray cray. I loved the characters in Octopath :shrug:

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Now now now, it can't be as bad as a SaGa game, right?

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I haven’t gotten around to playing it, but 83% on Metacritic doesn’t exactly scream “sucky game.” 

:shrug:

Ah, yes, Metacritic. If the Metacritic score is high enough, it's definitely a Good Game™! Assassin's Creed Unity is only 13 points behind, so you should definitely invest some time into that one, too!

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Ah, yes, Metacritic. If the Metacritic score is high enough, it's definitely a Good Game™! Assassin's Creed Unity is only 13 points behind, so you should definitely invest some time into that one, too!

I put 33 hours into that one and beat it. It's not my favorite game in the series, but I enjoyed it. I think a 70 is about accurate.

You also bitch about nearly every game, so why am I seriously responding to you, anyway? Derp.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I put 33 hours into that one and beat it. It's not my favorite game in the series, but I enjoyed it. I think a 70 is about accurate.

You also bitch about nearly every game, so why am I seriously responding to you, anyway? Derp.

You put 33 hours into a pile of trash, so the one who doesn't deserve a serious response here is definitely you! But I guess if your standards are low enough, any game can be amazing!

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

You put 33 hours into a pile of trash, so the one who doesn't deserve a serious response here is definitely you! But I guess if your standards are low enough, any game can be amazing!

Again, you bitch about everything.

Once Unity was patched up, it wasn't a bad game if you like AC. It advanced the game play. I didn't play it right away, I waited for the fixes.

There are plenty of truly awful games out there. These aren't them. Just say you didn't like them, they weren't for you and move on.

36 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

My back HAS been hurting me lately....

Your back is... the.... truth??

For real, I was initially enchanted by Octopath and I got a little caught up in the hype, but the more I played the less I liked that game. The fact that it’s all separate character stories and only a fraction of them are particularly interesting really hurts the game. And there’s a shit load of grinding to see it through. 

I like the battle system and the art style, but overall I think the game is fundamentally flawed in giving you motivation to actually play it. Especially in the recent era of RPG remakes just letting you set shit to 3x speed as a concession that they realize people don’t really have time for that and maybe it’s inherently not a great way to design a game. 

Bravely Default has its flaws as well, but not only did it have a good through line but it has modern trappings to keep it from getting too repetitive. I never played the “second.”

• Like 1

I sometimes feel like there's too many lengthy RPGs released these days and I just don't have time for them all. My husband played and liked the first Bravely Default game and Octopath. But I feel like I have to really limit myself to the stuff I know I'll love, like Persona or Dragon Quest. Just too many long-ass games these days. Would have been great when I was a kid.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/14/2019 at 1:09 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I haven’t gotten around to playing it, but 83% on Metacritic doesn’t exactly scream “sucky game.” 

:shrug:

It has wonderful systems and an interesting world, but he is right about the story being terrible to non-existent. I love JRPG's, but I couldn't stomach this one.

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

It has wonderful systems and an interesting world, but he is right about the story being terrible to non-existent. I love JRPG's, but I couldn't stomach this one.

This was a weird callback after more than a year. But at least I got to be reminded of Xbob telling me how low my standards are because I enjoyed a middling game. :lol:

24 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This was a weird callback after more than a year. But at least I got to be reminded of Xbob telling me how low my standards are because I enjoyed a middling game. :lol:

I didn't realize it was so old, since it was newly bumped. I tend not to notice when things were posted in threads I haven't posted in before.