Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

Here's the relevant section of the bill: (page 16)

[no schools] shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

I don't think the headline is actually correct. I suppose if a teacher worded a question like "explain how humans came to be," you couldn't fail them for saying "god created humans in his image." If you word a question like "explain the theory of evolution," you can still fail them if they say "doesn't matter, because Jesus."

I'd be interested in hearing what teachers think. I imagine there's an argument that this could make them afraid to grade students that interject religion into answers, but I'm not actually sure that there's a lot of problems with the bill as presented.

38 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't think the headline is actually correct. I suppose if a teacher worded a question like "explain how humans came to be," you couldn't fail them for saying "god created humans in his image." If you word a question like "explain the theory of evolution," you can still fail them if they say "doesn't matter, because Jesus."

I'd be interested in hearing what teachers think. I imagine there's an argument that this could make them afraid to grade students that interject religion into answers, but I'm not actually sure that there's a lot of problems with the bill as presented.

Maybe if you answer “god created humans” you better also include which day that was, or F. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

This is my reading as well. But that’s not as fun of a story :p I do think it’s likely a solution in search of a problem and typical culture war stuff.