South Park Season 23 OT

Spork3245

I thought it was pretty shit. Didn't even crack a smile. The Mexican Joker shit was fine, but Randy and "lol weed" isn't funny. Towelie was never funny and still isn't funny. And if they really want to say "fuck south park," maybe don't sign another 3 season deal. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

That is basically one good moment from an unbearable character. And even that is a better meme that has aged well than it was an actual joke in the episode.

That said, I still need to watch the episode :p

The character is meant to be awful. That’s his entire purpose.

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The character is meant to be awful. That’s his entire purpose.

Exactly.

Parker and Stone have explained that they were becoming increasingly aware as to how heavily merchandised and exploited their creations were becoming, and created Towelie to poke fun at this. They designed Towelie as a shallow, two-dimensional (both literally and figuratively) character who has no real purpose except to "spout catch phrases and merchandise the hell out of". This is the reason for the fake commercial during the show, and why Cartman calls him the "worst character ever" at the end of the episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towelie#Production

Trey Parker and Matt Stone explained on the DVD commentary for "Towelie" that the character was conceived as a joking reference to the over-marketing of characters in the wake of the series' success. Eric Cartman, partially breaking the fourth wall, delivers the penultimate line of Towelie's eponymous episode: "You're the worst character ever, Towelie", to which Towelie responds, "I know."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recurring_South_Park_characters#Towelie

The two episodes were hilarious for me. I loved how Kyle went, "Some fat intolerant asshole didn't want me in the neighborhood!" and the others went, "Yeah, me too." 

On 10/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, Bacon said:

My favorite part was with the producer walked in and then Stan mentioned records. The producer says "Records? What are you kids, from the 90s?" And then the boys just look around for a second. 

That joke got me good. :lol: 

'South Park' Scrubbed From Chinese Internet After Critical Episode

On Monday afternoon, creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone issued a statement with a faux apology about the ban. 

"Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts," the statement reads. "We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn't look like Winnie the Poo at all. Tune into our 300th episode the Wednesday at 10 p.m. Long live the great Communist Party of China. May the autumn's sorghum harvest be bountiful. We good now China?" 

The episode's critique has proved especially timely, in light of the controversy now swirling around the NBA. On Sunday, Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey issued a tweet expressing his solidarity with Hong Kong's pro-democracy protestors.

Although just a single tweet, from just one among thousands of NBA figures, the message sparked a deluge of criticism in China, where the Hong Kong protests have become a hot button political issue, with Beijing's propaganda apparatus going into overdrive to shape local opinion of the movement as anarchistic and untethered to legitimate political grievances. Chinese broadcasters announced they would stop airing Rockets games, and local sponsors pulled their funds from the team. 

Fearing financial implications, the Rockets and the NBA have since retreated and disavowed Morey's comments — in precisely the same way South Park satirized. 

57 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I typically like it when South Park goes deeper with their humor and cultural references. But I have to admit that Cartman squealing like a pig and running around is my favorite part of the season so far. The sight humor and the noises just crack me up :lol:

Calling the hog wrangler was 💯. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it’s going back to being South Park instead of Tegridy Farms, maybe?

Yeah, on /r/southpark people are saying it's 10. Wikipedia added to my confusion because they're giving the episode count based on what's already been aired (6) and not based on what we know will air (10) and didn't even have placeholder entries for episodes 7-10.