Romancing SaGa 3 is coming West for the first time!

Pikachu

The celebrated RPG classic comes West for the first time! Developed by industry veterans including the legendary developer Akitoshi Kawazu, Romancing SaGa™ 3 was originally released in Japan in 1995. This HD remaster of the legendary RPG masterpiece introduces optimized graphics, a new dungeon to explore, new scenarios and a new game+ function. Select one of the 8 unique protagonists and embark on an epic adventure defined by your own choices!

Romancing SaGa 3 will be available on November 11, 2019 on the Nintendo Switch™ system, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, Windows 10, STEAM®, the App Store® and Google Play®. 

Also coming soon is SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS which will be available digitally on December 3, 2019 on the Nintendo Switch™ system, PlayStation®4 system, STEAM®, the App Store® and Google Play®.

6 hours ago, dualhunter said:

Based on the reviews for the SaGa 2 port (and just the fact that it's SE) they'll probably screw it up. If the games are cheap enough I'll probably give them a try anyway.

I've heard the Romancing SaGa 2 port is above average, just that Square Enix needs to stop porting the mobile ports of the original ROMs of their games down to bizarrely translating the mobile controls to PC/consoles.

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Squeenix has their hands full with the FF7 remake until at least 2035.

But they make time for Romancing SaGa...

I just checked the Steam release of FF6 out of curiosity.  Looks like they updated the tilesets and backdrops, but the character sprites are so atrocious they take away from everything.

Those rotation effects would have been cool in a better game regardless.

It doesn't take long to badly port games though. Mind you it does seem like SE devotes a lot of time to making their ports bad like how they created a new DS style port of The After Years instead of porting the PSP's Complete version of FFIV (especially strange since they like porting mobile and PSP versions).

The only SaGa game I played was Final Fantasy Legend III which I enjoyed enough to play a couple times. These games are supposed to be really good (though very different from other JRPGs of the time) but with Romancing Saga 2 having been poorly ported I expect the same for 3. 2 is currently 25% off on Steam but I'm going to need a bigger price cut to give it a try. If you have a lot in your backlog don't bother, wait until the price is more in line with the quality of SE's ports.

1 hour ago, dualhunter said:

The only SaGa game I played was Final Fantasy Legend III which I enjoyed enough to play a couple times. These games are supposed to be really good (though very different from other JRPGs of the time) but with Romancing Saga 2 having been poorly ported I expect the same for 3. 2 is currently 25% off on Steam but I'm going to need a bigger price cut to give it a try. If you have a lot in your backlog don't bother, wait until the price is more in line with the quality of SE's ports.

Don't really share that mindset.  They're different from other JRPGs of the time, but not in a good way.  It's non-linear for the sake of being non-linear.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Don't really share that mindset.  They're different from other JRPGs of the time, but not in a good way.  It's non-linear for the sake of being non-linear.

I'm just going by some of the Steam reviews of Romancing SaGa 2 that say good game, bad port. I haven't played either of them.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:09 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

That's Squeenix for ya!

I don't think  you guys understand how a company works. The SaGa games are SaGa creator Akitoshi Kawazu's baby and he's a Square veteran. He gets to do what he wants with his department and he's been working hard to get enough money from Square Enix to fund Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 remaster as well as SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions and getting all 3 to the US to a wide enough market. The people who decide which games get remastered at Square are all different. The US never got these three games before, we should be happy we finally are at all. SaGa games getting remastered doesn't really reflect on Square's priorities as a whole. It's the same reason we keep getting Mana games because the creators of that series are still at Square and working hard on pushing to get the budget to make Mana games (Trials of Mana is due out this upcoming April, 2020). 

The bad porting is overblown. It's not great but it's not bad. 

On 9/13/2019 at 1:11 PM, TheLeon said:

How does this series compare to other JRPGs of the time? I sometimes get the itch to dive into this style of game, but I already have a lot in my backlog. 

Depends on how you feel about Akitoshi Kawazu and his incredibly obtuse and idiosynchratic gameplay systems that he does not explain in game at all. He's the guy responsible for Final Fantasy II's weird battle system where you get experience hitting your own characters.

If you're into the opaque and difficult to decipher gameplay systems with interesting stories and characters, then the SaGa games are the way to go, but note that he's for a very specific brand of gamer. His biggest mainstream successes are probably SaGa Frontier 1 + 2 for the PS1 and Unlimited SaGa for the PS2. His games' narratives are at least often more adult and have more depth than typical Square Enix offerings.