Going to Hawaii as someone who doesn't care for the outdoors...

ThreePi

Grandfather passed away recently. Now there's talk about family trip which would largely be paid for.  My mom has wanted to go to Hawaii for years and years and years. I have almost zero interest in Hawaii. I'm not an outdoorsy person, not a beach person, scuba, kayaking, etc. I don't have any real interest in the "culture" of Hawaii. Not into "clubbing" or nightlife stuff. What would there be in Hawaii to keep me from being just a straight up bump on a log? I feel like I'd be massively letting down my mom if tried to turn this offer down.

Pearl Harbor. Like, that's about the extent of what I'd be interested in seeing.

I'm like this.  I personally wouldn't go on a Hawaii vacation unless I felt obligated.  I'm not a beach person.  I don't like being in the sun.  My family does a beach resort vacation every year or two and I have to go along so as not to disappoint people.  So I feel for you.  The way I get through it is to view it as an opportunity for relaxation time.  No stress, no work.  Just serenity.  I usually bring a few books, a portable game player (DS, Switch, etc). and put my feet up and get through a backlog of reading and gaming that I can't at home due to time restraints or responsibilities.  On resort, while the family is at the pool or on the beach, I'm enjoying quiet, uninterrupted reading and gaming time in a hammock with a cold adult beverage while being left alone.  This year we went to Cancun and in one week I made it through Sharp Ends, Smoke & Mirrors, and most of Final Fantasy IX.  It was great.  Sure, occasionally you'll be asked to do some enforced family fun thing, but for the most part if you make it clear that you like to use vacations to relax and decompress you can probably enjoy quite a bit of indoor or shaded "leave me be" time.

Oh, yeah I totally know I'm being a Debbie Downer on this one (and thanks @Slug for having my back). If I just use this as some "away" time I'm sure I'll be fine. Plus, I talked with my gym trainer who very similar to myself and he grew up in Hawaii and convinced me there's probably at least a little that I can find to occupy my time. 

7 hours ago, Slug said:

I'm like this.  I personally wouldn't go on a Hawaii vacation unless I felt obligated.  I'm not a beach person.  I don't like being in the sun.  My family does a beach resort vacation every year or two and I have to go along so as not to disappoint people.  So I feel for you.  The way I get through it is to view it as an opportunity for relaxation time.  No stress, no work.  Just serenity.  I usually bring a few books, a portable game player (DS, Switch, etc). and put my feet up and get through a backlog of reading and gaming that I can't at home due to time restraints or responsibilities.  On resort, while the family is at the pool or on the beach, I'm enjoying quiet, uninterrupted reading and gaming time in a hammock with a cold adult beverage while being left alone.  This year we went to Cancun and in one week I made it through Sharp Ends, Smoke & Mirrors, and most of Final Fantasy IX.  It was great.  Sure, occasionally you'll be asked to do some enforced family fun thing, but for the most part if you make it clear that you like to use vacations to relax and decompress you can probably enjoy quite a bit of indoor or shaded "leave me be" time.

You party animal!

I love a do nothing vacation. I’d love to just see Hawaii. I would never choose to go to a beach, but when I end up at one for a family reunion or something I don’t mind floating out in the water for a while and chilling out in the shade on a beach chair. 

Im also not an out doors kind of person, but I do love Segway tours when I visit new places. It’s a stress free, fun way to see a city. I think at least. Last time I did one it was also an excellent way to hatch eggs in Pokémon Go.