Andy Serkis Closes Deal to Direct 'Venom 2'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-direct-1228724

Andy Serkis is officially stepping into Venom's goo.

The filmmaker has closed a deal to direct Venom 2, Sony's sequel to the 2018 film that grossed $856 million at the global box office. The sequel, part of the company's stable of Spider-Man related and Marvel-centric characters, will once again star Tom Hardy as the journalist who joins with an alien symbiote.

Serkis flew to Los Angeles the week of July 22 to meet with Sony brass on the project and was one of several filmmakers in the mix for the job. This will be Serkis' third directorial effort, after the 2017 drama Breathe and last year's non-Disney take on the Rudyard Kipling stories, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, which ended up on Netflix after being made at Warner Bros.

Serkis rose to fame for his motion-capture and performance-capture acting work as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy from 2002 to 2004. He cut his teeth with second unit directing by reteaming with Jackson for the Hobbit trilogy (2012-14). He played the villain Snoke in the recent Star Wars films, as well as bad guy Klaw in Marvel Studios' Black Panther. His expertise with CG and performance-capture technology is one of the factors that landed him the Venom 2 gig.

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen the films he's directed (Breathe and Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle) but hiring him indicates this should be better than the awful first film.

It had a good number of problems but I found it entirely watchable, and Venom as a character I thought was likable.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It had a good number of problems but I found it entirely watchable, and Venom as a character I thought was likable.

I mean . . . I dunno what standard we're putting it on. It was a really stupid movie, but not quite so bad it's good. It was just mostly bland early 2000's action movie. I did enjoy parts, no doubt, but it was just an entirely nothing movie. The one time I did watch it I had to treat it as a drinking game movie, which helped considerably, but that's not in the movie's favor per se. 

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean . . . I dunno what standard we're putting it on. It was a really stupid movie, but not quite so bad it's good. It was just mostly bland early 2000's action movie. I did enjoy parts, no doubt, but it was just an entirely nothing movie. The one time I did watch it I had to treat it as a drinking game movie, which helped considerably, but that's not in the movie's favor per se. 

I could see the movie improving considerably with a few beers.

BUT DOES ANYONE CONDEMN BEER NUTS JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT AS GOOD BY THEMSELVES?!? NO

venom=goat.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I could see the movie improving considerably with a few beers.

BUT DOES ANYONE CONDEMN BEER NUTS JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT AS GOOD BY THEMSELVES?!? NO

venom=goat.

I mean, it made a billion dollars. To me in the same way Transformers sequels were making billions of dollars. But hey, lots of people seemed to like it unironically, so I know I'm in the minority. :p 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, it made a billion dollars. To me in the same way Transformers sequels were making billions of dollars. But hey, lots of people seemed to like it unironically, so I know I'm in the minority. :p 

I mean, I enjoyed watching it. It was a popcorn flick, it had probl-ems, it wasn't an objectively good movie, but it was fun. 

17 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I mean, I enjoyed watching it. It was a popcorn flick, it had probl-ems, it wasn't an objectively good movie, but it was fun. 

12 hours ago, johnny said:

Venom was a fine movie. Something you can have on in the background. 

These kinds of endorsements are not the kinds of endorsements that tell me the movie deserved a sequel. I hope this one is better than these endorsements for the first movie. :p 

Venom is inarguably a bad movie, but I saw it with my buddies at a dine in theater and were all 3 or 4 drinks in by the time the title card played so we rather enjoyed the bizarre Tom Hardy accent, and whacky decisions like Michelle Williams hairdo. 

Is this a ringing endorsement of the film? I don’t think so, but I’ll be there for part two all gin and tonic’d up.