EA Explains Why It Offers Limited Nintendo Switch Support

Pikachu

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/31/ea-explains-why-it-offers-limited-nintendo-switch-support

A CEO Andrew Wilson has opened up on why the publisher offers limited support for Nintendo Switch, saying it's because people prefer to play EA games on other platforms.

During EA's first quarter earnings call this week an analyst floated the idea for The Sims on Switch, but EA's head honcho disagreed.

“Any time we’re evaluating platform conversations we’re really looking at a couple of things,” said Wilson. “One, does the game really fit the profile of that platform in terms of the control or the community ecosystem? Two, do we think the community playing on that platform would appreciate the game and go there, or would they prefer to play it somewhere else?

“We have a lot of data that would suggest a great many Switch owners also own a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One or a PC and very often choose to play the games that we make on those platforms, even though they have a Switch and they enjoy a lot of great content on the Switch."

Makes sense. A lot of their games have online communities, and players tend to stick to the ecosystems they are already entrenched in, and/or play consistently with their friends.

And yeah,  anecdotally, I own a LOT of Switch games...none of them are published by EA. 

That would change I think, if EA dropped an exclusive on the system. One that can’t be played anywhere else but Switch. Maybe a new SSX would do the trick. Or Road Rash? And oh man, maybe they wouldn’t be down for an exclusive Need for Speed (like they did on Wii) but I know several Nintendo fans that would go bonkers if a new Beetle Adventure Racing game came out, only on Switch.

...I’m just spit-balling here, EA. You can take the proverbial ball and run with it from here, if you want.

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Makes sense. A lot of their games have online communities, and players tend to stick to the ecosystems they are already entrenched in, and/or play consistently with their friends.

And yeah,  anecdotally, I own a LOT of Switch games...none of them are published by EA. 

That would change I think, if EA dropped an exclusive on the system. One that can’t be played anywhere else but Switch. Maybe a new SSX would do the trick. Or Road Rash? And oh man, maybe they wouldn’t be down for an exclusive Need for Speed (like they did on Wii) but I know several Nintendo fans that would go bonkers if a new Beetle Adventure Racing game came out, only on Switch.

...I’m just spit-balling here, EA. You can take the proverbial ball and run with it from here, if you want.

EA doesn’t do exclusives.  They do GaaS. 

9 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

ha ha laughing GIF